Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, October 31, 2020

The Grocery Store and the Grumpy Woman

Before the pandemic I was the woman who loved to go grocery shopping. I loved reading labels and browsing the international aisle where it was my mission to bring home something I’ve never tried before. Of course, now we’re encouraged not to stick around inside the store any longer than necessary and to not touch stuff we’re not going to purchase. The Covid-19 cases and deaths have been spiking again in my state, probably---I'm guessing---from people getting careless around family and friends or getting pandemic fatigue so yesterday when I went shopping I was on high alert.

I was shocked to see so many shelves empty again…like they were at the beginning of the pandemic. Only instead of hand sanitizer, toilet paper, peanut butter and flour being in short supply it was canned goods, creamers and hand soaps among other things. There was so much open space in the canned vegetable section that I panicked and bought a two cans of Lima beans. I haven’t eaten Lima beans since the Carter administration. But I heard the voices in my head of my parents talking about the hardships and shortages they lived with during WWII and I ended up pandemic buying things I don't need in brands I've never used.

It’s just so weird shopping now, mask in place while trying to stay six feet from others wearing masks. And for the very few not wearing masks I try to hold my breath when passing by them. Most of them give off such negative vibes that I bristle at the sight of those unmasked faces. Yes, yes, I know some people have health issues that prevent them from wearing a mask but when I tried to look up what health conditions we’re talking about I found out that no U.S. health agency has specified any particular health issue where exemptions should apply other than being unconscious or otherwise not be able to remove a mask on your own. Each state has their own ambiguous or vague mask exemption clause if they mandate wearing them at all.

I was in a checkout line when I got irritated with the young guy in front of me who had his nose buried so far in his phone that he wasn’t moving forward when the line ahead of him moved. There was easily fifteen feet between him and the next shopper. He was either playing Candy Crush or sexting with his girlfriend and since I’ve been reading a lot of romance books lately I opted to believe that he was doing the latter. So I cut him some lack and allowed his chuckles to add fuel to my imagination, giving me more patience while I wished I was tall enough to read over his shoulder. And it was a good thing I did put on my serenity hat because his eyes barely left his phone as he got checked out and he pushed his cart out of the lane. He’s probably still sexting at the front of the store, where I last saw him. He had beer in his cart, chips and condoms. (Okay, I made the condoms up but he really was still in the store with his phone when I left.)

There were eight lanes open at the store and I got the one where a deaf mute guy was working the cash register. I pitched a mini-fit inside my head because since the pandemic began my social life depends on getting a little friendly conversation from store personal and this guy wouldn't even make eye contact. I’ve been through his lane before but this time I was a Needy Nellie and he wasn’t going to be the one to serve me a heaping of much needed but meaningless chit-chat. And apparently I had used up all my patience on lover-boy and his phone so when the cashier took all my frozen food out of the store-provided clear plastic bags to keep them cold and he didn’t bother to put them back in after scanning them---he just chucked them into a paper bag---I was super-sized annoyed. But even if I had complained and he could read lips there was no way he could have done it through a mask. When I bag my frozen stuff I line up all the codes so they can easily be seen and scanned with a hand scanner and in all the years I’ve been doing that, no one have ever taken my frozen food out of those clear plastic bags. I truly understand why the guy avoided making eye contact. He probably sees a lot of annoyed and angry faces and has no idea why. And don't remind me that I need to make allowances for the possibility that his hand scanner didn't work; I'm holding on to my grumpy mode for a little while longer.

For a while the store had a cashier who had no arm from the elbow down. I had gone through her line a couple of times before I realized she was scanning and bagging groceries one-handed and was doing it more efficiently that many two handed workers. She was fast and had a friendly persona and I wished she’d stayed around. She was inspirational. Back in those days, I had a book on how to do things one-handed because I was trying to learn how so I could teach my husband those skills after his stroke. It took a lot practice to do what she accomplished. 

Back then (and maybe now) the store took part in a program that helps physically and mentally disabled people train for various jobs around the community, trying to find them a good fit. The program, rather than the employer insures, pays and manages any issues that come up with their charges. I used to know a twenty-something girl with Down Syndrome in the program and she got a permanent job offer putting parts in plastic bags. She absolutely loved her job. The deaf-mute guy, if he's in that program, will get his work evaluated after x-number of weeks and be written up as needing to learn to make eye contact. If he can't do it, then they'd move him to a job that doesn't put him face-to-face with the public. And if I was in a program  like that I’d have to work on being less grumpy while shopping during a pandemic. 

There I did it, I wrote my grumpy mood away. I found my empathy and reminded myself that the world does not revolve around my wants and needs. And for the bonus round, with any luck I might discover that I actually like Lima beans. ©

31 comments:

  1. Roflmao...a very witty, surprising and unexpected ending! After all you want thru shopping and cashiers (my grandson has Down's & loves his job), etc...you got home and the grumpiness left once you regaled your private thoughts. Add a little butter to the beans...it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The girl with Down's Syndrome happy all the time. I have no double that influences all the 'normal' people around her on the job to be more appreciative.

      Thanks for the butter suggestion.

      Delete
  2. Of all the challenges this pandemic might offer, the one that would be unsurmountable for me would be learning to like Lima beans. I suppose I could, but it would involve adding a nice sweet chipotle sausage, some onion, some bell pepper, some celery, some garlic, and some tomato. In short, it would be red beans and rice, with a different sort of bean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cracks me up. I'm betting those Lima beans will sit in my pantry until someone comes collecting canned goods for the poor. It seems to be a popular do-good project for a school near-by.

      Delete
    2. I googled lima beans to find some recipes for you and there are a lot of them as it is quite the "superfood" that is packed with protein and nutrients. So don't bash the poor lima bean! In the South, they are called "butterbeans" - doesn't that make them sound tastier? I dare you to make a lima bean recipe!! Keep calm and eat lima beans!! LOL! :)

      Delete
    3. "Keep Calm and eat Lima beans." Thanks for the laugh. I've often wondered what "butterbeans" are and I will take your suggestion to google some recipes. I was just going to get them straight from the can and feed them to the dog if I didn't like them.

      Delete
  3. If I'm.eating limas, you know the zombie you know what is around the corner. Lol. I have some cash from my trip unused so I'll be taking a real grocery store trip early Monday (first in a long time). In a cloth mask covered with a disposable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it any wonder Lima beans were the only unsold veggies in my store. LOL

      I've been thinking of double masking too.. I'm not sure which order though. The cloth on the outside because it's washable seems logical to me and it doesn't do as good of job as the disposable is what I was thinking of doing. I probably don't dispose of my masks often enough.

      Delete
  4. That guy on the phone would have made me cranky but curious also. So glad venting your spleen on the blog helped. I would have to be really hungry to eat Lima beans. Like you, they would go into the first food drive. Haven't seen the shortages here yet but hearing on the news that they are coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time of the year I usually stock up a lot just case I get snowed in. This year I'll probably over do that tradition. I just hope toilet paper isn't one of the storages coming.

      Delete
  5. I already like like lima beans so I guess I'm good to go! Glad writing about your grocery experience helped! I dread my next trip to the grocery store because those empty shelves just tick me off!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe and I still have a hard time understanding WHY....

      Delete
  6. I adore lima beans, but not canned. The only canned vegetables I'll eat are corn and the various kidney-type beans (canneloni, chickpeas, blackbeans, etc.). I overcook them, add lots of butter, salt, and cracked black pepper. I've been known to make a meal of just limas.

    Toilet paper and paper towels are already in short supply in NEO. And we haven't seen a Clorox or Lysol wipe here since March. And the latest thing to disappear? Canned pumpkin. There hasn't been a can of pumpkin here in a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holidays are coming. I noticed when I was there that the baking aisle was full of way too many people. Going to be a long winter!

      I only have canned veggies around in the winter when I can't get to the store as often. I'll use them up in soups or for the dog if I still have them closer to spring. Although I do love corn out of a can

      Delete
  7. This blog is super great! I still order food online and have it delivered. I have gone to a grocery store just twice. It seems like people are tired of Covid restrictions and advice and that's why everyone's numbers are going up. I did slack off on hand washing so started that up again,

    UGH on lima beans. Most anything canned. But especially lima beans and peas. Texture. Maybe smash or puree them and make a dip! Or a soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't bring myself to shop groceries online yet. I stay home and am alone too much as it is. You've got your family to keep you from going nuts.

      Levi is a fan of canned peas smashed. I give them to him when I'm having something else I won't or can't share like canned spinach. I love it but it's harmful to dogs.

      Delete
  8. Our local Target had a wheelchair bound cashier for awhile. When he first appeared, I thought it was great Target was hiring folks with disabilities and he seemed to be doing a great job or so I thought from a distance. After several trips through his line, it became clear to me that he had a chip on his shoulder the size of a boulder. He was one of the nastiest, grumpiest cashiers I've ever encountered. Apparently, I was not the only one who thought so, because his line was often empty while the other lines were jammed with customers. I have no idea if the wheelchair was the source of his displeasure or if he was just an unhappy individual. I also don't know if he still works there since I no longer shop at Target.
    I totally understand the current desire to chitchat at the store and I too miss leisurely grocery shopping. I get really hyper if I have to spend more than 15 minutes in a store. I make a list and sprint through the store like someone attached to a timebomb. I now consider grocery shopping a high stress activity. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my experience being around people in wheelchairs and mentoring on a disability website they all go through a about a 1-2 year stretch where they are resentful about their condition and take it out on others.

      Grocery shopping is a high risk activity now!You are wise to sprint through the store.

      Delete
  9. I also loved going shopping but haven't been shopping since March except for a few quick in and out trips to the shop by few I mean 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if we're ever going to feel safe the stores again or be able to use your reusable clothe bags again. Gotta keep the faith that we will, I guess.

      Delete
  10. What a day! Thanks for sharing the Grumpy Woman and her Adventures of trying to Keep Calm at the Grocery store...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not putting my money on the lima beans. :-)
    I am not surprised you were able to let you go of your inner grumpy old lady and were able to tap into your deep well of empathy and compassion, Jean.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never stay grumpy for long, especially shopping where I'm hoping for a mini conversation with a stranger.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I thought it was telling that so many of the other veggies were out of stock but not the Lima beans.

      Delete
  13. If Lima Beans were the last piece of food left on this earth, I'd eat grass instead! I don't need a trip to the store to make me grumpy--this unending pandemic is doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. And we got another year to go before it's under control.

      Delete
  14. Hahaha...got so panicked you bought lima beans. That's panic, my friend. LOL. My mom used to add lima beans to her three bean salad (making it four bean, I guess). I actually liked them that way, but of course, the dressing kinda drowned them out. DH won't touch them and actually yells EWWW any time I mentioned them. So I guess they're out for now.

    Grocery shopping isn't much fun, is it? My tolerance meter is always red lining and I'm trying really hard to be nice. You did well. I also noticed the baking aisle is loaded with stuff for the holidays. It makes me nervous and I will be stocking up to make our favorites this week. The Brits just went back into lockdown and my DD is really happy she got things they couldn't find last time - TP, paper towels, hand soap, etc.

    Finally, I REALLY, REALLY hope we have something to celebrate this week. I think you get my drift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too on the election. My phone has been blowing up today with Trump stuff trying to get me to go to his rallies and offering rides to the polls. Their ground game on but it ticks me off that 20 emails from 3 different places are assuming I'm a fan.

      My mom made 4 bean salad too but not with Lima beans. So many others on this thread seem to like them if you doctor them up that I'm going to try them sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  15. I don't shop so I don't have these experiences but BIG pet peeve is people who talk on the phone in the check-out line. Even a little.

    Lima beans? Lord help us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cell phone use in public places have led us to more isolation. Before they came along, people would make more small talk to strangers while waiting in lines, etc. It's a shame, really, and took some of the fun and warmth away from all of us.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.