Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, August 7, 2021

Birds, Diuretics, Anti-Vaxxers and Fan-Girling Baseball

 Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday went by with a good deal of guilt tagging along behind me. Guilt because I feel like I’m wasting time. I’m in a holding pattern where I don’t want to start packing or selling and giving away art and furniture I used for staging the house because I still don’t have a firm appointment for a closing. (We are one step closer though, the appraisal came back $2,000 higher than the offer I accepted.)  

And I’m worried I might spill my morning coffee on the carpeting or break something now that the house presumptuously will belong to someone else soon and I’ll be like a squatter living rent free for up to 60 days while someone else is making mortgage payments. I asked the realtor what happens if, say, a tree falls down? Do I just have it cut up and hauled away? "They'd notice it missing." He said I’d need to call the new owners and ask them how they wanted to handle anything that gets broken or damaged during the 60 days possession period. "It’s their house, their decision."

I’ve started a mental list of all the things I’m going to miss about this house. Birds ranked in the top ten---added on the list when a white-breasted nuthatch landed on my deck railing and he brought with him a wave of sentimental attachment for all the birds that are attracted to my yard. Over the years I’ve cataloged twenty-five species of birds that hang around this place. In the early evening if I sit on the deck wearing my hearing aids their songs and calls drown out all thoughts and it’s almost effortless to live in the moment. I’m taking my bird call with me but I don’t expect it will get me into the same Man-Bird “conversations” I’ve come to enjoy here. But I might trick the neighbors into thinking their eyesight is getting bad when they can’t spot the ‘bird’ calling its mate.

Did I mention I’m sitting at the Guy Land Cafeteria right now, another high ranking thing I will miss after I move? I stopped on the way home from a doctor’s appointment because it was 3:00 and I hadn’t eaten breakfast or lunch. I was trying to fool his scales into believing I’d lost a few pounds in the two months since I saw him last. But both my blood pressure and my weight were exactly the same causing me to curse the fact that I’ve given up oriental food, salty snacks and cookies for absolutely nothing. The doctor decided it's time to add another drug to the mix to lower my blood pressure---oh, God a diuretic. Could I pee anymore often than I already do? I know where every single restroom is between home and every place I go. If reincarnation is real I want to come back as a man just so I can pee in a bottle.

My house cleaners were here this week but the house was pretty much still spotless from the showings so I had one of them clean the oven for the new owners. They came to the door carrying their masks and asked if they needed to wear them. I replied, “The Delta variation of the virus is in our county now, so, ya, I’d like you to wear them.” They are anti-vaxxers to the core. “We don’t like the government telling us what to do.” One of them said her uncle just got vaccinated and sent her a picture of a magnet stuck to his vaccination spot. Rather than believe the obvious, that her uncle was poking fun at her anti-vaxxer miss-information, she’d rather believe the government is involved in a vast conspiracy to make us all tractable with magnetic chips. You can’t argue with stupid and I didn’t even try.

Apparently, they’d just lost a large job of cleaning rooms in a motel because the owner only wanted vaccinated cleaners and the cleaning service owner (who was one of my cleaners that day) told the motel owner that she refuses to ask her workers if they’ve gotten vaccinated. "It's none of my business what they do with their bodies," she told me and her former client. Then she said her sister-in-law who works for an OBGYN is “being forced to quit her job of 30 years because she won’t get vaccinated. What an outrage!" I kept my mouth shut because one does not disagree with someone on a rant who could use your tooth brush to clean your toilet.

I’ve written seven hundred and thirty words to here. What can I add to get my writing quota up to 1,000? I could list a few more things I will miss after I move but I don’t want to dwell on that aspect of moving. I’m way past the point where a pros-and-cons list serves a useful purpose. I’ve already caught myself on the verge of crying once while thinking about all the memories associated with this house.

How about I report on my project to teach myself about major league baseball? I’ve watched a game just about every night since I made that declaration. The basics of the game I pretty already knew but I’m still trying to sort out the different kinds of pitches and I’ve printed out a list of baseball slang so when an announcer says things like, “He threw a cookie” I'll have a clue what’s going on. I'm also still trying to figure out why runners throw themselves on the ground and slide to a base instead of just keep running to get there. And are some of those guys wearing man-thongs because they don't all have the telltale underwear lines. And can we talk about the germs they pass around in baseball? What's with all the spitting? One guy even rubbed his spit all over his bat and I doubt he washed his hands before he was out in the field catching a ball in the next inning.

But the most interesting thing I’ve learned about baseball is how easy it is to fall asleep during a game. It makes me smile every time I catch myself waking up when the crowd gets loud because it brings back warm memories of my dad doing the same thing while nestled in his sleepy hollow, red leather chair. He could be snoring but would wake up if we tried to change the channel or turn the volume down and I'm starting to fan-girl those crowd sounds playing in the background of my life. ©

37 comments:

  1. It's normal to get somewhat Emotional when we make big changes. Even tho' I Hated Subdivision Hell, there were things about the McManse that I just knew that I'd miss and was privileged to have experienced while owning it. There has been something about everywhere I've ever lived that I did miss and knew I'd miss. That said, every Move really was necessary for whatever reasons and Seasons of Life, so I'm glad that it is as it should be... and I'm here now and enjoying it. You're going to enjoy your next incantation of Life in just different ways than you've enjoyed your long time Home filled with so many Memories, which you are taking with you BTW, you didn't have to Sell those. Pep Talk now over, about the Anti-Vax Cleaning Crew, I'd not really be as Stoic as you were and probably wouldn't even want them in my Home at all... I'd be inclined to insist an Employer only send their Vaccinated Employees, to make it clear how Important that actually is. I figure in about 4 Months all of the Unvaxxed will be The Infected, and the Delta will have mowed down a great many of them, including Innocents they infect too who couldn't have an Option of a Vaccine. It's almost too late to turn things around given how exponentially this is spreading, if someone got the 1st jab now, it would take another 2 weeks to get No. 2, then 2 Weeks to have full Immunity building up enough... they just don't have that long a Window of Opportunity now. The Son is avoiding me since I doubt he's taken the necessary time to get it started... as for anyone I am not directly invested in emotionally, nothing I can say would have influenced any of them anyway, they chose their Poison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thing is I'd rather know who is vaccinated and not. I don't want them lying about it and acting like they might not be Typhoid Marys.It won't be a problem at my next place because it's small enough I might be able to clean it myself and if I don't I can hire from the CCC's staff and they have to be vaccinated to work there.

      It's sad when someone we care about won't get vaccinated like your son and the son-I-wish-I-had. You're right about having no influence of most of them. Miss-information is too wide spread.

      Delete
    2. These big life changes are so emotionally charged. I think you should take advantage of every opportunity to cry it out while you're waiting to move. I remember one particularly difficult move when both my ex and I were sobbing on the staircase as we were leaving. Mourning as you go might take some of the emotion out of it on moving day.

      My longtime pest control guy was here for the first time since this all began, and I was relieved to learn that he is vaccinated. Even though it isn't required where I live, I've been wearing a mask lately because I attended my former boss's retirement party and somehow "forgot" that we were in a pandemic. It is definitely the last time I will see most of those people and I was hugging people like it was 2019. The next morning I realized that there were people there from Florida, Arizona, lots of places with high numbers and low vaxx rates. Only a few more days and I will be out of the two-week waiting period to see if I caught it.

      Nina


      Delete
    3. That's a scary situation to be in with the retirement party aftermath. Florida and Arizona needs to get their act together but it's not going to happen any time soon.

      You make great sense on the crying when I feel it coming on. Better to mourn now and get it out of my system to make room for new emotions after the move.

      Delete
  2. Jean, you never fail to put a smile on my face as I have my morning coffee, reading your blog. Life is just nuts. The guilt I feel whenever I'm not preparing for our move is very real. Maybe it's not guilt. It's probably just the shock of actually sitting down instead of forging full steam ahead. Think about how busy you were even a month ago-getting set for your house sale. You're kinda in limbo now. It's good that you've got your buyers committed with signed paperwork, downpayment, etc. Since we're selling to family, we haven't done that yet, so we're on the hook for anything that might go wrong. Of course, the kitchen and one of the bathroom faucets started dripping. Felt we had to get them fixed, and nearly $300 later, we're dripless again. Then the six-year old AC unit started making a funny noise. Called the dealer who replaced a $900 part under warranty, but we're looking forward to receiving the bill for his labor. At the future home, two trees had to be cut down due to ash-bore disease. Listen for the cash register ding...$1,000. We are living Murphy's Law lately. I'm kinda surprised by your housekeepers not getting vaxed. This week, on top of all the other stuff going on, I had to go to the dentist. He was drilling for a filling while ranting that people who refuse vaccination should be willing to live and die with their decisions. He was talking about what it's like for health care workers as they're facing yet another surge. It was interesting to hear his perspective--that anti-vaxers with horrible symptoms show up to the ER, expose everyone to the virus, and expect the staff to somehow save them. I sure don't have the answer, but I left my appointment feeling grateful for all those men and women in the health care field who report for work, faithfully, to help heal those of us who are broken. Hang in there Jean. Enjoy the birdsong and baseball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My home repair cash register rang a lot last fall when I was getting the house ready, but I don't care what the realtor says, if a faucet starts leaking I'm going to have it fixed and not tell the new owners. A tree missing? I'd have to, but I'd bite the bullet and pay for it. For 4-5 years I've been watching one lean more and more and someday a heavy snow or rain on this leaves is going to take it down. A tree guy told me that last year but there is nothing under it go get damaged, so there is no harm in leaving it for the wildlife.

      What's going on in health care is scary. We're all going to feel it when they are getting so short staffed. My eye doctor this week said a lot of doctors are retiring early because they are afraid of the virus which makes those left with more work and more stress.

      The house keepers that work for the service are all from a small town in a Red County, a Trump-is-still-our-president county. It doesn't really surprise me they are anti-vaxxers. They only have to come two more times before I move so its not worth looking for new ones. All the cleaners I've had since 2012 when I started using one have been under educated and have some screw ball ideas. It's been interesting.

      Delete
  3. Perhaps they'll have road trips to the GR BBall team and you can put your new skills to work! I'm with you on the masks and I say well done to the hotel and the OB for making rules. I'm starting to see more people wear them here. It takes a village -- but it's hard when a big part of the village wants one thing and the other big part another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going start wearing my mask out in public again. And I felt the same way about the motel owner and the OB. They sure made my cleaners mad. Good, maybe they'll start being less selfish and thing of the poor, overwhelmed healthcare system.

      Our union sponsored at trip to a Detroit game every year and also a day at our local park. You'll know I'm seriously hooked when I start signing up for those. LOL

      Delete
  4. You do make me smile though it was a rueful one about the toothbrush. That could happen.
    It must be a nervous time while you are rent free. I would probably be overly cautious and break something.
    So glad you have found baseball even if it is more of a sedative than a passion. I did a post quite a while ago about their chewing, spitting and crotch grabbing. I was pleased to see that a lot of the crotch grabbing has gone out of the game. Hopefully they have learned to play with themselves in private. It use to be rampant. I still have two devotees on my team.
    Do you follow any particular team?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only found one crotch grabber and I think his pants were ill-fitted. I wonder if male fans notice and talk about the same things women do. LOL There is one guy who has so much junk in his mouth to chew that it flies out even when he's not spitting it out. He could be the best batter in the league and all I'd see is a disgusting pig.

      I've landed on the Detroit Tigers with the cardinals as my back up. My choice is explained in the comment below.

      Delete
  5. I think this post’s title may win the award for the least connected topics ever. You made it work though. What team did you decide to support?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you made me laugh. I always struggle with coming up with titles.

      I decided to go with the Detroit Tigers at the suggestion of someone in the comments to my other baseball post, to go with a team that is popular in my area so I'd have more opportunities to connect with other fans. I almost picked the cardinals because of Nolan Arenado but that would be such a 'girl thing' to do since he's supposed to the best looking guy in baseball. LOL If I get any team gear, though, I'll get a Fireballs shirt or hat and only fans of Pippa Grant books will understand the humor in that. Might be kind of fun conversation starters during next year's baseball season...too late now.

      Delete
  6. See? "Oddments" would work perfectly for this post! Here's something else I do that you might think about: I try to use just the right number of words for whatever's on my mind. Sometimes I use 300 words, and sometimes I use 1600. Sometimes, I've even broken a topic into two or three posts. It's your blog, and whatever you can do to express yourself as you want is best. When I started blogging, I was told over and over again to never, ever go over three hundred words, because no one would read my blog. Uh-huh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you will join a bird-watching group at your new place! I am not good at identifying birds but I often try to whistle back at them!
    Baseball games are too slow for me. I have been peeking at the Olympics on and off - I have appreciated the hard work each athlete has put in and am happy for the winners - no matter which country they are fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't identify birds easily either. I have a book of Michigan birds to help with that.. There is a new app out that can identify their calls and songs. I want one of those if there are may birds around. When I was young I actually went on a few bird=watching outings. I don't think I've got the physical endurance for that anymore. I will start a log, though, and think I'll find a bench or two on the campus were birds can be found...just not next to my windows.

      Other years I've gotten into the Olympics but this year for some reason.

      Delete
  8. So, an OBGYN nurse thinks it's an "outrage" that she be required to be vaccinated against an illness that could kill her patients and their babies? Wow. There was a retired OBGYN nurse I knew from my Zumba class who was touting Ivermectin (a veterninary drug) as a cure or preventive earlier on in the pandemic on Facebook. I know she's a right-wing Republican but you would think medical training and common sense would overcome that. Guess not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Makes no sense that a medically trained person could be so blinded by the politics surrounding Covid that they don't trust the science. Literally billions of people on earth have had the vaccinate and my cleaners still insist it hasn't been tested enough. And there there is that pesky Bill Gates putting tracking devices in them. They will carry the new Trump Card but think it's criminal to suggest we carry a vaccination card to go certain places.

      Delete
  9. When local big box put up a sign that said masks recommended, I decided to wear one again. Like everyone else, I hate them, but they do save on makeup. LOL. Your cleaners sound like a few people I know around here. But given their ability to use your toothbrush, I think you're wise. hahaha

    Baseball is the very best napping sport. And I don't have any interest in the Olympics this year either. Not sure why.

    I also had a few "teary" days when moving, and I agree with the commenter who suggested just crying when you feel like it. It's such an emotional time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if our bid box stores in the area were going back into mask mode. I will happily comply, even though I've enjoyed being mask free this past couple of months.

      In years past I looked at the Olympics like a Great Hope for eventually being able to work together for world peace---play together leads to working together. Respect for each other and all that good stuff. Now, after Trump and our response to Covid we've lost some standing in the world. The athletics work so hard to get there, it's too bad they are being overshadowed by covid coverage.

      Delete
  10. Kudos to you for restraining yourself when the anti-vaxxers started up. I think we've all reached the point where there's nothing we can do and we have to save our sanity and our own humanity. I continue to be astonished even though each time I hear another ridiculous story, I think, "How can someone be that stupid/delusional/selfish/idiotic?"

    I'm trying hard for it all not to bring out the worst in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the eye doctor's office I watched a video of how to talk to anti-vaxxers and being confrontational is the last thing we should do. I might have been done some gentle push back if we'd been in a public place where I could just walk away when I'd heard enough, but I wasn't so I just tried to change to topic. But they are on a roll and wouldn't stop.

      Delete
  11. I don't get some people, they can be idiots just don't expect me to one with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to say that most of the anti-vaxxers are brain washed or brain dead and not capable of logical thinking. But I have some good friends who have bought into the hysteria around the vaccinations, and I don't have a clue how t explain them.

      Delete
  12. Good luck! Your new life is getting closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnaks. I'm going to need some luck to get through October which I'll explain in my next post.

      Delete
  13. Who's vaxxed, and who's not? What's next? Will plumbers, roofers, car mechanics demand to know customers' checkbook balances before fixing the problem? Good heavens, folks keep getting more and more NOSEY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a business owner wants to only hire workers who've been vaccinated, why is that not a matter of their choice, their personal freedom to make the rules they believe is best to protect their clients and other workers? If someone applying for a job there, doesn't care to comply that's their choice not to get the job.

      Vaccines are nothing new. We've been requiring them to put your kids in school and to get into various countries for decades. We're talking public health here where unvaccinated people can keep the virus mutating until 2/3 the population on earth are killed off and our healthcare system and economy is broken almost beyond repair.

      And by the way there are some businesses that run credit checks before confirming your order or work. Credit cards also get declined all the time which is a form of wanting to know the balance in your checking account before they allow you to take merchandise out of a store.

      Delete
  14. Yikes! Pins and needles. It's still your home but just another hassle if you have to spot clean red wine stains .... or coffee.

    I'm hoping stores and restaurants start REQUIRING proof of double vax or one can only order take out or delivery. These are probably the same who hoarded toilet paper (which I never did understand).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no problem with requiring showing proof of vaccination at large events, transportation and other placed where people breath on our food and children--either to work there or go there.

      Delete
  15. We moved about 1 1/2 years ago and I missed several things from the old house and area but quickly found many more new things I loved.
    About the anti-vaccine crowd.....I just don't get it! How can anyone doubt there is a major, life threatening, result of not getting the vaccine? When you see the news report of hospitals filling up with a more deadly variant and worse results and then they say most are not vaccinated. How can a person see this but then take the advice they see on social media from crazy, uninformed people? All I can do is take care of myself and my family and wish the rest of the world good luck. I could understand reluctance if there was news that 10% of vaccinated people died of mysterious side effects or something, but this vaccine seems to be one of the safest things out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I think it's your first time? I don't get it either but I do know they don't see the same news reports we do because they purposely don't watch mainstream media. They might see carefully edited clips but edited to mislead.

      Delete
  16. We had a house under contract and about 5 days before closing the chimney started leaking, as in water rushing into the fireplace. It had never done that before, ever. So our realtor told the buyer, and she said not to worry about it because her son in law would fix it. I bless that woman to this day, she knew that houses do wonky things. There are good people out there, that's all I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had my wonky thing happen. Came out to find the top of the mailbox down at the street laying on the ground. No signs of damage but for the life of e I can't see how it happened or how to fix it. A chimney would issue would freak me out. Glad your buyer was understanding.

      Delete
  17. Interesting to read your reaction to baseball. I rather enjoy the slow pace of baseball though I haven't regularly followed a team since 1948 when I was a pre-teen and they were my connection to the state from which we had moved. Coincidentally, my team won the pennant that year -- the last year they did so and now they've changed their name.

    Waiting can be difficult, so can appreciate you find doing so at this point in your abode transition challenging. I do hope all continues to go well as you put in your time until the house closing. Surprising the couple who bought your house are as old as they are.

    Will be interesting to see how your blog evolves with this life change. I rather imagined you'd focus on describing life in your new setting though I suppose there could be some need to more carefully choose what you might share and your descriptions. Whatever, I expect your life will be busy with activities there -- maybe you'll even start an onsite group of some sort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slowness of baseball doesn't bother me because I'm usually multitasking and I love that when something important happens they show a replay. Wouldn't it be nice if we got replays on conversations and other stuff in our lives when we we're paying attention. LOL

      I was shocked at the new owners ages too. I had to bite my tongue when they asked how I could leave such a beautiful house from blurting out that it's getting to hard to keep up.

      I'm getting cataract surgery soon after moving so it's going to be hectic at first. Not to mention I'll be the third person to move into the building so it will be noisy until the others all get moved it. Plenty of blog fodder until the end of the year.

      Delete
  18. LOL, My father did the same thing -- waking up to say "Hey, I'm watching that!" if anyone tried to change the channel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much word for word what my dad said, too. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.