Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Spilling Secrets: An Old Woman’s Diaries

 

Three times in the past I’ve written posts about and have tried to purge over 45 years worth of diaries out of my life. I was twelve when I wrote in my first diary: “Today we had a spelling test and I funked it.” It was a black faux leather, five year diary and after that I had a one year, green book that I filled with movie playbills and boy crushes. Then I discarded the idea of using official diaries and I switched to using red and black books with blank pages from the office supply store. I was able to buy that same style from the mid ‘50s through to the new century. With some of the earlier, boy crazy volumes it took two books to get through a year. Later volumes compressed 3-4 years in each book. By the time I’d discovered blogging as my new form of diary keeping my last red and black book had only yearly entries for entire decade of the 2000s.

The fact that I’m back here writing about my old diaries again is all the proof you need that my three attempts to finally let go of them were dismal failures. I kept getting sentimental over reading through them and I'd decide the purging could wait until another day that never came. Until this week. Well sort of---I compromised with myself. Half are gone, half will get moved with me. I kept the ‘50s through 1960 when I was still an innocent kid. A boy crazy kid to the core if you can believe the ramblings of a teenage virgin who thought she was destine to never find true love. (Didn't give up my V-Card until I was twenty-five, in case anyone is asking,) Not much was on those pages that could hurt anyone’s feelings should family read them after I’m gone, not much of anything is in them which begs the question: Why can’t I let them go? I’m thinking maybe it’s because they show how much I’ve grown, expanded my mind, my writing abilities and interests in life? As a side note, do you find it as curious as I do that I’m back to looking for true love again, only this time I'm looking in the pages of romance books? The more things change the more they stay the same.

I also shredded the travel journal I blogged about not long ago, but I kept one later diary volume, 1970, the year I met my husband. Trust me, it was not filled with hearts and flowers and puppy dog tales. We had a rocky beginning to our relationship. I was more interested in his friend---we all met at the same time---who I was also dating and it was 4-5 months before Don and I got around to being exclusive. I think I kept that volume to remind myself of how much our relationship grew over the decades to come. We'd both been in serious relationships before we met that, for me, ended badly and took me to dark places. Don was fighting demons of his own. Eventually it won't be hard to shred that diary like I managed to do with the rest of the ‘60s through the ‘90s. Just not this year. I still have some lessons to learn from that tumultuous year.

One of the reasons people keep old diaries is an attempt to understand our pasts and how they influence our present. And I'm proud of myself for purging the diaries documenting the year I fell head over heels in love with the guy I dated before Don and the dark year after we broke up when the phrase "one-night stands" could have applied a few too many times. I thought he was my forever guy and for a while he thought the same way about me and it broke my heart into million pieces when it was over. Since my last attempt to purge that era of diaries I did a deep dive into a collection of letters written back and forth to Vietnam and I found the understanding I needed, of how much the Vietnam War played a heavy hand in our break up. We met through those letters and he serviced five tours of duty over there before we started dating. Looking back with an old woman's wisdom I finally realized the breakup was not about me...or him. It never was, and just like that I made peace with the hurt and found the healing I needed. At last, it was easier than I thought it would be to tear those two books apart and put the pages through the shredder.

In 1999 I had gone back to using a one year diary that documented my last year out of five of share-caring my dad and his dementia and trying to balance the time spent with him, working and my life with Don. It was not a pretty picture. I was always sleep deprived and stressed out and that diary was filled with tensions and arguments with my brother. And imagined or not, I felt like my share-caring---being away from home three days and two nights a week to be with my dad---was pulling Don and I apart emotionally. He was still there for me when ever I needed his help with Dad or whatever but our time for fun and recreation fell by the weigh-side and was being filled in his life by a neighbor couple. I was jealous. 

This week as I read through that 1999 book it became the first one to hit the shredder. I didn’t want my nieces to one day find it and see their father and me in a bad light. And I’ve never been that person who talked negatively about a significant-other or spouse. That’s what diaries are for and I didn't want my nieces to see me doing The Snitty Dance just because Don essentially had time to laugh and play with the neighbors when I didn't. Those neighbors, by the way, turned out to be good time Charlies because after Don's massive stroke they rarely came to visit and that really hurt Don.

Crazy to say this but those five years of share-caring my dad are what I'm most proud of. I met a hard challenge and helped give Dad the best life a guy with lung cancer and dementia could have and yet you'd never know that, reading that one year diary. Some of my best memories of my dad happened that year but I never wrote a word about them in real time. The diary had to go so the a glossy "re-write" of my personal history doesn't get contradicted by a book filled with the writings of a woman who was clearly holding on by her fingernails to her world spinning out of control. To my nieces my caregiver crown will still be a shiny example for the same challenge they've recently taken on for their dad.

Marie Kondi in one of her books on downsizing said no one should own more than 30 books and we’re to keep them in a box in a closet. Ideally she thinks we should just tear out the pages we like in a book and throw out the rest. (Clearly she's not a reader.) I really dislike that woman but I actually followed her advice during my diary purging project. Mostly I kept some of the preambles that I wrote each year. God, some of them are so pretentious that they make me laugh. They would have been great preambles if I’d turned out to be famous. Just goes to show that teenagers and twenty-somethings don’t know squat. But of all the pages I want to save---and there were less than a dozen---the diary entry I love the most after a reading marathon that covered so many years of my life is still my “I took a spelling test today and I funked it” written in 1955. If I every purge that diary I will frame that page and hang it near my computer because I am still a notoriously bad speller. ©

Note: Sorry this post is long. I couldn't decide what 300 words to cut to keep within my self-imposed 1,000 word quota. It was also somewhat liberating to spill all my secrets at once and let the chips fall where they may.

The diary box before the purge. The notebooks on the right are filled with bad poetry I wrote .


47 comments:

  1. I sure enjoy reading your posts, Jean. You're so honest--and sometimes I need a big dose of that! Isn't this process of "getting ready for the next big move" interesting? The first big purge is pretty simple. You've got your piles to save, toss and donate. After a few weeks, the dust settles, and it's time to go through the very same stuff, and do it again. Your progress is impressive, Jean! Getting rid of diaries is a big deal (in my opinion). I didn't have diaries, but I finally burned some very old letters that I wouldn't want anyone else to read (some were 50 yrs old!). I thought I might feel some regret, but haven't so far. Keep up the good work, Jean! We're gonna be grateful to have less to lug around on moving day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The diary purge was one of the toughest but so far no regrets. well, one regret...I wanted to burn them instead of shred them. It just seemed like a more fitting and respectful way to dispose of something what played such a big role in my life. But we can't burn here and I don't have a fireplace and I just never got around to taking to my niece's house in the country.

      Trust me, I'm not this open about talking about the private details of my life if we were face to face in a conversation. I wrote things in this post I have not told anyone. But doing the reading marathon of my life for the very last time I wanted to write summary of the path that my life took over the years and what the diaries taught me. I actually printed a copy of this post and tucked it in with the reminding diaries.

      I had some love letters I destroyed too that were 50 years old. I kind of regret not keeping those just because they were sweet and pumped my ego, but they were written by a guy with the same first name as my husband and didn't want my nieces (or me in a state of dementia) to someday assume my husband had written them. LOL

      Delete
  2. Marie Kondo did have one thing right when she said to leave the sentimental things for last as they are so hard to make decisions about. I took her book with a big grain of salt as living quarters in Japan are typically so much smaller than ours and her cultural lens quite different.

    I too would keep that first page of your first diary! My Mom kept one of my childhood essays about a hobby of mine for years for similar reasons and one line became a family joke. I had started by writing “My hobby is fun.” Then I never named or described the hobby lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. guess I was following Marie's advice on more than one thing, although I'm sentimental about way too my things in my life. Just yesterday I walked through the house and said, "I can let that table go. It's just a table" then the other side of my brain replies, "But it's the only thing you have that once belonged to your surrogate grandparents."

      Love your "my hobby is fun" story.

      Delete
  3. I've journalled off and on for the past 30 yrs. The journals have served as a repository of my thoughts and events. I've always believed that like garbage, the emotion needed to be put out so it wouldn't start to stink. It was therapeutic to process life events in writing on paper. The paper could then be crumpled and tossed or burned ritualistically. Someone once asked if the journals could be donated to the archives because of the historic events and my reactions described in my journal. I'm coming to the conclusion that my journals served a very personal purpose and no one will be interested in them when I'm gone, like many of the photos that I hang on to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diary keeping really is therapeutic, isn't it. You'd have to keep diaries and letters a long time for them to be archive worthy and then the ordinary, everyday thoughts of ordinary people do become interesting---think Little House on the Prairie. I have a friend who has a Civil War diary of a relative that I've been trying to get him to donate to a museum so it will get preserved, and him just keeping photocopies of it. It's going to get tossed out when he's gone and that will be such a damn shame. I used to buy old diaries at estate sales and over the past couple of years sold them on e-Bay. So some people to have a fascination for the personal thoughts of others.

      Delete
  4. I commend you for having a 1,000 Word Quota. I once tried a 300 Word Post Challenge, it was so difficult it stressed me out! *LOL* Marie Kondi clearly wouldn't be someone I'd take advice from, 30 Books, not even displayed, is she kidding? I don't even Cook and I have more than 30 Cookbooks, my Decor Book Library puts the Big Box Book Stores to Shame! As for Diaries, only did them the Year my Dad Died at the advice of his Hospice Nurse as a way to move thru the Grief Process. I only kept it shortly after the Year it was Written. Initially my Blog I had some of the early Posts made into Books, mostly due to the Visuals so that it was a nice way to have the pixs and my ramblings together. Now I'm not attached to any Outcome of the drivel I put out here in The Land so I Purge it often and that's a great exercise in helping me become better at Purging THINGS too. Practice making perfect a Goal I've set for myself. My Romantic Journey would be scandalous to read so I wouldn't want it out there for future Generations to get hold of and ruin my reputation as Mom and Gramma of being a wholesome influence. *Bwahahahaha* The Man and I had been both lousy at picking who to have Relationships with in our pasts, perhaps that's why we gelled in spite of being complete opposites? He was probably the first Good Guy I got Serious with, Husband/Father/Grandfather/SIL/Friend Material from The Jump. Of coarse I have to confess the Bad Boys were not the only problem when you're a Bad Girl and really not that interested in commitment either. I never thought I'd Marry and I didn't until I was 28 the first time and already preggy with my 2nd Child... and after 30 when I met The Man. We live... we grow... we learn... we're always a Work in Progress, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't do the 300 word challenge either and I never took to Twitter because of the ridiculous limits on characters.

      I figured you were a "wild child" on the dating scene. Being open-minded mature adult is a bi-product of having seen and/or done it all in our youths. At least that's my take on life.

      Funny that you were not interested in commitment in your twenties and that's all I wanted in my twenties. Yet here we are with lots of things in common. I also think we both turned out to be pretty good, responsible and caring adults.

      Delete
  5. I've been spending more time with my mother lately as she is going thru chemo. Thank you for the reminder that I should make a note of the positive and not dwell on the stress that this is causing me now. I'm thinking that writing down the negative is a way to get it out, but then toss later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would urge you to include both the positive and the negative. The first because those positive things become more and more important as time goes by and the latter because it is therapeutic and honest to do so. If I had done both I probably wouldn't have purged my 1999 diary.

      Dad and I had a lots of deep conversations during his last years and I did things like buy him an erector set that he wanted when he was a little boy and we built airplanes and bridges, etc. together. One time on the way home from a doctor's appointment we pulled over to watch a crop duster work and that developed into a conversation about the Wright Brothers and barnstorming. The first airplane flight was only 8 years before he was born and air flight was a dominate thing for his generation and he had some interesting stories to tell. My 1999 diary would have been a keeper if I had documented those sorts of things along with the the stresses which I believe are common for all families going through similar circumstances.

      Delete
  6. I've never been a diarist but a few years ago I purged all my Morning Pages a la The Artist's Way. Then I went through all my old personal notebooks about writing ideas and tore out the few pieces of worthwhile thoughts I ever had. My point is that the relief I felt after shredding my past was uplifting. I sense you're discovering that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the Morning Pages are very similar to diary keeping. I'm not quite to the sense of relief you wrote about---its only been two days---but I'll get there no doubt about it. I need to purge creative writing and old student art projects too. I did it once but need to do it again. What's left of my diaries will probably be gone a year from now, I predict. I'm planning another purge of everything in my life on my one year anniversary of moving.

      Delete
  7. Love this, Jean! I wish I'd taken more of the thoughts racing around my head and captured them in diaries during my tough years. I had a spouse that didn't respect my privacy and I didn't feel safe writing my thoughts down. Online diaries were my saviour, but that wasn't until much much later....Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really sad to be a person who wants to write who doesn't/didn't feel safe doing so in her own home. I would have hated that.

      I've never done an actual online diary but I consider my blog like my diary. There are 3-4 offline friends/family who know how to find it and occasionally do read a post---just enough to keep me double editing myself for accuracy. Of course none of us sees an event present or past through the same lens but so far no one has said, "That's not the way it happened."

      Delete
  8. I think those of us who "wrote" our lives worry about that. Most of mine are gone, though I will probably never destroy the travel diaries. I have a few bits I've save and probably will do as you did, save pages. Or maybe not.

    (I hate Marie Kondo too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your ability to mix your original artwork with your writing in your travel diaries you'd been a fool to ever let them go. The pages you've shared on your blog are good enough to be published.

      Marie brings out a cattiness in me that shocks me. I've watched some of her videos when she tells people to throw stuff in the trash and it seems so ruthless and disrespectful of kinds of things that you and I are attracted to collect.

      Delete
  9. I'm impressed at the consistency of your diary keeping. I've tried over the years and finally gave up once I took a fiction writing course and discovered it was a lot more enjoyable to make up structured lies on paper. Now I simply log what I accomplished each day. No sorrow in throwing out that kind of record!

    I also felt a pang when you mentioned the neighbors who vanished when Don had his stroke. I watched that happen when my neighbor's wife's early onset Alzheimer's became apparent. It hurt him when people they socialized with would approach him, tell him 'to call if he needed anything' then never call themselves to see how he was doing. For some, the spectre of disability and a long drawn out decline isn't tolerable. It's not hard to understand, and in the case of shallow friendships - perhaps inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might start a log kind of journal after I move, more like a five year book with very little room to write in.

      We have so may different types of friends in our lives. Some based on work or leisure time activities or where we live. Not many of those kinds of friendships hold up after a disability.
      after Don's stroke when he could no longer talk many people got awkward around him because they were used to him carrying the conversations---tell stories, ask questions. He would hold the phone up wanting me to call our neighbors to invite them over but they rarely came by anymore. Anyone, not just them, who made a Hollywood statement like "I'll try to make it over tomorrow" would have Don sitting by the door in his wheelchair all day. It broke my heart and trying to get people to not make vague statements to Don just never got through to them how important it was. I'll always be grateful for the handful of friends to treated him exactly the same after his stroke as they did before.

      Delete
  10. Hi Jean, the 6 years of once a week care taking that I did for my parents until they passed away last year from ill health are times I will never forget as my parents were so appreciative. My mom too, had dementia but was so loving. Although the 5.0 hour round trip got to be what I considered hard to do and time consuming, I am now so grateful that I was given the opportunity to be there for them in the last years of their lives. I love the quote “I took a spelling test today and I funked it” it's so innocent and honest. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My round trip to my dad's wasn't half as long as yours but it was long enough to make it easier to stay over night. My dad was like your mom...very loving but there were times when his dementia made things harder which I'm sure I don't have to explain to you.

      Taking care of a parent like you did and I did can be really rewarding but it's a wonder the stress at times didn't like me. I was a 24/7 caregiver to my husband but the fact that I didn't have to share the decision making process with anyone---much less an older sibling who thought the pecking order made it clear who should be in control---make it so much easier. I'm glad for both experiences.

      Delete
  11. Shoot, keep the diaries and pox on Marie. You make me wish I had written in diaries when I was younger. Think it would be interesting to see what my daily thoughts were. Luckily I have solid memories that I can visit any time and often do. Pretty sure I only pick out the highlights though.
    Loved your spelling test entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a good memory for certain things. I mean I can't recall memories on demand. I get flashes that I have to concentrate on to get the full picture.

      When I was younger I'm not kidding when I say my life revolved around crushes and which boy smiled at me. My best friend and I all through school had a lot of fun together after school, and pretty sure her hormones where running as fast as mine in the boy crash department. I sure can't speak for all teenage girls but my thinking was pretty basic and shallow back in those days. Rereading those diaries I'm also impressed at how am chores I had to do around the house. LOL

      Delete
  12. I have a diary and have had one for many, many years but not when I was a child.
    Found many of Mum's when we cleaned out the house most had only a few enteries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband's mom kept a five year diary in the 1920s. She was a farm wife and her entries were pretty interesting just because times have changed so much.

      Delete
  13. I love this post. I have a bin full of old diaries too. And dread going through them. Im sure there are lots of great memories there and certainly a record of all my child-rearing years, but also it was a place of anger, depression, sorrow --catharsis through writing. I do want to glean the good stuff and the stories that lliekly accompany all the photos from that time, but it's a daunting task that I put off. And then live in fear of dying and others reading my "poor me" drivel. (Well, some of it was well-justified! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your idea of gleaning the good stuff and putting photos with it is a great one. I don't know what finally got me going at purging, but for me, it seemed logic to start with the oldest books where I'd done the most crumbling and people living could get their feelings hurt if they didn't understand the process of why people writing in diaries.

      Delete
  14. I have two of those kind of diaries from my childhood. I kept journals for years but I thought about anyone reading them if I suddenly died and quickly tore all 20 journals to shreds. I haven't kept a journal since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you have kid---which I never did---I think the incentive to get rid of old diaries is comes with a higher value.

      I finally read one of the books you reviewed in the fantasy genre. I have to admit it kept me reading but don't think the genre is my cup of tea. I may try other out of fairness since I didn't realize you'd given the book such a low rating until after i downloaded it.

      Delete
  15. I finally threw my diaries away after prepping for a move when I had no energy (because of the diabetes) and I let go of everything that wasn't absolutely required. If I had not been suffering so I might not have tossed them but everyone has to make their own decision for what is right for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure the rest of the red and black books will go within a year. Just got tired of reading and kid of skimmed they my younger years. Letting go when you did was the absolutely best thing you could do at the time.

      Delete
  16. Those were the days, my friend! Friends, boys, school. That was it. I think I am still basic and shallow.

    I started my diary (blog) a few months after Mr. Ralph left. Just musings and ramblings for the past 8 years. It works for me but I will have the blog deleted when I depart! Not one post worth saving!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eight years is nothing to sneeze at. It's served a purpose in your life. I have some great memories from the time when life was basic.

      Delete
  17. I read an article today that Marie Kondo is losing favor. She was fine when people wanted simplicity to escape their too busy lives. Now they want things to fill their loneliness and emptiness. My apartment is my playpen so I don’t worry much about how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my day. LOL I've heard the housing boom is caused by the same sort of thing. Because of the housing boom people are spending more time at home.

      Delete
  18. I had some scrapbooks when I was in school, but I've never kept a diary. The scrapbooks disappeared about the same time as my high school yearbooks; I think they got tossed when Mom sold her house in Iowa and moved to be with her sister in Missouri. In truth, she had kept them for her pleasure; I never looked at them again once I'd stopped keeping them -- they lived in a cardboard box in Mom's basement for a couple of decades, and then -- kaput!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had three high school scrap books and all my years books from high school and college. I kept one scrapbook and two year books. In truth I never look at them so I don't know why I keep them. My class still has reunions. Next year I my go, bring them along then toss them after that.

      Delete
  19. A flooded bedroom in February forced us to pull out everything stored in the closet there. Papers included my typed diary of the time I chose therapy to deal with a bout with depression and then the early days after my diagnosis at 40 with breast cancer that had killed my mother on her 45th birthday. I had young daughters at the time, so they figured in those pages. It hurt to do it, but those diary pages were among the first I shredded as we decided the weather gods had ordained that it was time for a purging. I haven't regretted it. By the way, just as a diagnosis with cancer can prompt depression, it can snap you right out of it, too, when you realize how much you really want to live the very life you're living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this. We had a basement flood 6-7 years ago and had to throw out some stuff so I can identify with that process as well as the writing for therapy. I love the message in your last sentence.

      Delete
  20. I learned the hard way not to keep a diary as a young girl. My older brother got to it and quoted from it to torment me. I never kept a diary again. In one of those great Ironies Of Life, he's now an avid reader and admirer of my blog for the past 16 years but rarely mentions it except to say that he recommends it to various people.

    I do journal now--semi-daily--but as soon as one is filled, I burn it. And I never look back at what I've written. I find it therapeutic and cathartic; it's very calming to write everything out and get my thoughts sorted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny about your brother quoting from your diary. I had a similar experience with mine. I took a different route and booby-trapped my diary and would hide it in different places each night. I'm pretty sure now you'd have to hold a gun to his head to get him to read a book or anything I've written. But he is a surprisingly good poet. Writes mostly about family and feelings.

      Delete
  21. It would be hopeless for me to curate my personal journals to keep a shiny crown on my head. Like you I offloaded the unbearable and unshareable in them. My parents didn't keep journals. My father did begin to write private poetry during the hard years as his wife, my mother, descended into the dark pit of Alzheimer's. It was his way of healing his heart, trying to recall the sweet woman he'd fallen in love with to help him bear another day with the woman who cursed him now. I treasure his written confidences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing poetry seems to be a fairly common way of letting emotions out that are too raw painful to share. I'm glad you have those.

      Delete
  22. I never journaled but would have been interesting to me to reread if I had. When I did think about doing so I always thought I didn't want anyone else reading what I might write, especially if it might be hurtful to them, should I unexpectedly die. Years ago a good friend, creative writing Univ. teacher, gave me a blank page book, urging me to write. I finally wrote the first page, very guardedly using coded words and phrases describing what I would know the meaning of but others wouldn't. Our house was broken into and along with other items, my diary was stolen. Have never wanted to start anther diary. Even had that friend return some letters I wrote her when she said, "I hope you know you're writing to yourself." She is long since deceased. I have not read them, but must locate them, read (but I don't want to fall into the mood I was in when I wrote them I think) and destroy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all present ourselves a certain way to the world, but when we write we tend to let all side of us show which can be embarrassing. I went through the code stage of writing in diaries when I was a young teen. I was a prolific letter writer, too, but I doubt anyone kept those. Can't believe someone would steal a diary during a break it!!! That would creep me out.

      Delete
  23. Marie Kondo would be appalled to see the full bookcases in just about every room of my house -- and that doesn't even count the 100+ books on my e-reader. I guess books don't spark joy for Marie the way they do for me.
    BTW, It cracked me up that you misspelled the word "flunked" in your first diary entry about flunking your spelling test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie rubs me the wrong way on so many levels and it's safe to say her own books are probably the only ones she reads.

      That diary entry cracks me up every times I see it too.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.