Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

The Mother of all my Other Pivotal Moments

 I got a call from a woman who likes to talk which is fine, I’m a good listener. Or at least I used to be. I kept wishing we were doing a Zoom call so she could see me giving her the classic hand signal to wrap it up. I haven’t had the urge to do that since my husband had his stroke in 2000. He was long-winded but she takes too many 35-40 second pauses in between her words stretching her short, boring stories into epic novels. Her story about a trip the store, for example, was as long as the recorded version of Melville’s whopping fish tale and it could have been written on a grocery list. I think at one point she was reading me her grocery list. I don’t know for sure because I was giving myself a manicure and got distracted by how strong my nails have gotten lately. She’s always had that same speech pattern but on that particular day it was driving me to Crazyville. I had the same problem with her monologue holding my interest as I did when I first tried to read Moby Dick and Melville had the sub-text of good vs. evil within his 752 pages. Her sub-text was the price of eggs and milk went up.

“Call me Ishmael,” Herman Melville wrote on page one of his epic novel. “Some years ago—never mind how long precisely—having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.”  Okay, why would anyone call him anything but ‘Ishmael’ if that was his real name? Why didn't he just say, "My name is Ishmael" inquiring minds want to know? And yet American Book Review rates “Call me Ishmael” as number one on the '100 Best First Lines in Novels’. 

My favorite opening line is rated at number nine:  “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair...."  Charles Dickens wrote that sentence in 1859 for his A Tale of Two Cities. If he had been in my high school English class back in the 1950s the teacher would have been up his butt about his “lack of proper punctuation” and would have made him change some of those commas to periods. Run-on sentences were my specialty back then. I still write a lot of them, but my reading habits and tastes have changed since the days when I struggled (and usually failed) to read the classics from start to finish. Now, an opening line that holds my interest goes something like: “He was so hot my panties melted." Just kidding! I'm not that shallow although one peek at my Kindle library might argue otherwise.

Did you learn how to diagram a sentence when you were taking English grammar in high school? I nearly flunked all my English classes back then but when I had to take a zero credit class that we students affectionately called “Dumbbell English” in my first semester at college it all clicked in place and I got an A out of that class. I learned how to diagram the stuffings out of sentences and it was fun. I don’t know if it was the enthusiastic instructor that made the difference or if my dyslexia was on the verge of sorting itself out or a combination of both, but I loved that class. My ‘composition workbooks' from the class survived the drastic purges this past year. The covers are torn and heavily taped, one has a barely readable spine, but I still love them.

In everyone’s life there are pivotal moments that change the trajectory of our lives and looking back I can see clearly that that class was a pivotal highlight in my life. I could write as many crazy-long sentences as I liked and not get disapproving red marks on my pages as long as I kept my subjects and verbs and dependent clauses where they belonged. Diagramming became like auto-correct to me, showing me the errors of my ways.

Some might ask how I got into college if my grades in anything that required reading and writing were so bad. Simple. I got straight A’s in the art classes and in classes like mechanical drawing. I was the very first girl to take mechanical drawing classes in our high school district and it had an instructor who (along with my mom) fought for me to be allowed in the previously all boys classes because, he said, I had a raw talent. What he didn’t know is it wasn’t so raw. My dad had taught me how to draw blueprints and schematics since I was old enough to hold a pencil and I wanted to know what he was drawing. I had four semesters of mechanical drawing and the instructor even had my drafting table taken down to the wood shop to get it sanded smooth because it was always giving me runs in my nylons and it's just now dawning on me to wonder how he knew that. I suppose my legs were more interesting to look at than the boys he'd been teaching since Columbus departing Spain in 1492.

In my first three years of college I continued getting mostly A’s in art but before my third semester when I went to my adviser to get approval for classes that would lead me to a career in architecture he flatly refused to okay them. “You girls are only here to get a Mrs. Degree,” he told me, “and I can’t allow you to take up a seat in a class a guy will need to earn a living.” I was young and dumb back in those days and didn’t fight for myself like I would have in the post Feminine Mystique era that came shortly after those days. I let him put me on a path toward a teaching art degree. But I never made past that third year.

…Until twenty-five years later when I finally went back to college and got a degree in fine arts. Walking across that stage to collect my diploma was the mother of all the other pivotal moments in my life. It didn’t lead to a career change. That ship had sailed with the invention of computers taking over the lower level drafting jobs and the projection for jobs in the field of architecture showing a decline for the foreseeable future, but finishing collage gave me a special kind of pride in myself, that after all those years I wasn't a failure anymore. I was a college graduate! To this day it ranks in the top three of my proudest accomplishments. 

My other two proudest accomplishments? The way I handled the twelve and a half years after my husband's stroke counts for one. The other is me finally getting to have a house built starting with a plan in my head to watching it get built. Oh, yes, it's going to be hard to leave here but houses should work for your life-style and my life-style needs to change.

The next paragraph was written just to prove I could condense my greatest accomplishment down to one 88 word, run-on sentence. (Okay, I admit it doesn't take much to amuse me these days.)

Call Me Jean. Some years ago—never mind precisely how many—having no upcoming wedding plans on the horizon like all the other girls in my high school I put myself through three years of college, then dropped out and spent the next twenty-five years feeling like a failure until I returned and two years later walked proudly across a stage to collect my diploma, with no thoughts whatever of sailing about the watery parts of the world that I finally did finish reading about in Melville's epic novel. ©

48 comments:

  1. It was fun to read about your return to college. Good for you! I went back to finish my degree when I was in my mid-30s. It seemed much easier and more enjoyable when I was older than right out of high school. Gosh, that was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in my 40s and the other students walking around campus treated me like a was a professor if I wore nice clothes. If I was in jeans and a t-shirt, they didn't. As an adult I've always enjoyed taking classes.

      I would love to see our country require kids to do two years of some kind of service before going to college. Not necessarily military service but more like the CCC during the Depression. They could earn tuition money that way, get more mature and get more out of college after.

      Delete
  2. Some years ago, the NY Times (or someone) held a contest, challenging people to change first lines of novels solely by changing their punctuation. One of the winners produced, "Call me, Ishmael." You still can find that printed on bookmarks at Half-Price Books.

    And this occurred to me: See? You certainly can write about something other than eBay selling, down-sizing, and such and be quite entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that made me laugh! Reminded my of a favorite book of mind: Eats, shoots and Leaves.

      My last two years of blogging have been a one trick pony ride, has it.

      Delete
  3. I always felt bad for Ishmael. What a name! LOL.

    Your life has had a lot of chapters and is, to me, far more interesting than what I read of Moby Dick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm flattered but I know how boring that book can be. I have tried to like it, tried to reread it several times but I just don't relate. I've got all the old classics loaded on my Kindle. So I'm not through trying. Give me another ten years. LOL

      Delete
  4. Oh, I also finished my college degree later in life (with three kids), and I could not agree more. Few things have made me happier than walking across that stage to get my degree.

    My mom was taught by a very proper grammarian from elementary through H.S. (life in a small town that started in a one room school...haha), and she was absolute death on poor English and grammar. We too diagrammed sentences a LOT in school. When I got to college in my late 30's, I took an editing and grammar class from a notoriously difficult woman professor and got one of only two A's. In fairness, I was in an engineering school. (Old joke: I'm an engineer but don't know how to spell it.) But a lot of my acumen in that class came from literally sounding things out and hearing the correct version in my head. I am always appalled by how many people seem to apply a comma shaker to their writing. LOL. Anyway, I loved this post! And kudos to you for persevering on the degree.

    "I can’t allow you to take up a seat in a class a guy will need to earn a living." Oy vey. Reminds me of the movie "On the Basis of Sex" about RGB. If you haven't seen it, it's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom didn't didn't go to high school but she was a great speller and could write proper. She was life-long reader which I think is where she got it. A admire your ability to sound words out, that is a major part of me not being able to spell. My husband and I once went round and round with him trying to get me to hear the difference between pin and pen.

      I am guilty of salting my pages with too many commas. LOL

      I loved the movie and RGB.

      Delete
  5. Punctuation can be fun to change meaning. Loved diagraming. To me it made English fun. I went to college late also my 30's but sadly burned out before finishing but I don't regret it. Think if I had the money I could have become a professional student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to call myself a professional student because until my husband had his stroke I always had a class going---mostly leisure time classes. They have gotten so expensive though, but I'd like to do them again.

      Delete
  6. I always loved my returning to college or first time college student working adults when I taught during grad school. Comments and questions were so much more interesting and I knew how much they were juggling to be there.

    Now diagramming sentences - not much to love there from my perspective. It didn’t help that it was taught in 4 th or 5 th grade when I was in school. The big question in my mind then was why bother but you have made me see the usefulness!

    And last but definitely not least I hadn’t realized how long your husband lived after his stroke. You are very rightly proud of handling that period of life well! I would add to your list how you are handling this phase of life too. Not only getting it done but making the courage to make alll the decisions along the way and to keep moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jean, your accomplishments are big. It's so important to reflect and give credit where credit is due. I think you can also add to your list of accomplishments - an ability to be proactive about the circumstances you find yourself in as stated in my lifestyle needs to change. (Please don't judge the punctuation!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way would I ever judge anyone's punctuation! I know I still have some reoccurring mistakes that. Some I know about an ignore and probably some I don't know I make.

      Got to be proactive when you live alone or else you game your house of cards will blow away in the wind someday. That's my theory.

      Delete
  8. I, too, consider one of my greatest achievements to be getting this house built, under budget even. I loved diagramming sentences back then, but now... I don't think that's a skill I remember how to do. Not that anyone has asked me lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously happy to know someone else who feels the same away about building a house.

      I don't think I would diagram a sentence anymore either without looking in my workbook. Thought about doing it this week but alas no time to spare.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on the pivotal moments you have made it through! I think my divorce was a pivotal moment for me. I was proud when I worked two jobs so I could manage my own home and my own life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divorce and picking up the pieces after has got to be one of the toughest life experiences to go through. Congratulations right back at you for pulling it off and getting your life back on your own terms.

      Delete

  10. "I can’t allow you to take up a seat in a class a guy will need to earn a living." I wonder how many young women were denied opportunities in such a blatant manner and how much of that still goes on surreptitiously.

    I also wonder how many of us have tried to figure out how to tell someone they talk too much without hurting their feelings. It isn't possible, so avoiding those people is the only option. Listening would be a good subject to teach in high school's senior year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think back about that guidance councilor I realize it wasn't just that one time he screwed me up. He should have pushed me to get some of the heavy required class out of the way in my first two years instead of saving them up for my third.

      Good friends and family could tease my husband about how long stories were which at least were interesting. We all had our ways to clue him to give someone else the floor. Some blatant, others subtle.

      But with this woman I can literally count to from 15 to 40 in between words She does it 3 times in a sentence. Drives me nuts sometimes more than others.

      Delete
  11. That was indeed a fun trip for me in a day in the life of...
    I think as women we all that that jerk who would not allow us to bloom. As you know from reading me I was told that college was to find a husband, and a career I wanted wasn't for women. I was constantly told, you can be a mom, a nurse, a teacher or a nun. Yep, not one of those appealed to me! Glad you went back to school. I understand that feeling since I did the same. I paid for it, I did it all. I'd say we have something to be damn proud of Jean because it was the 60s and 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the way women went from our parent's generation to the present generation is filled with our stories that all have a similar bell tone. Like you said it was the 60s and the 70s. We are all getting to that age where we want to tell our stories and make peace with who we coulda shoulda woulda been if given the same chances young woman have today. We represent progress on the continuum timeline of social growth from one century to another.

      Delete
  12. As someone who earned a master's degree in my mid-50's, I certainly understand your feeling of accomplishment, Jean. Brava!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now a Masters IS an accomplishment to be proud of. Brava to you too and a standing ovation.

      Delete
  13. Another book you might find interesting is "Dreyer's English, An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style." He's not only informative, but witty too.

    Here's an audiobook excerpt on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tAvsQB68vE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just listened to it and put the book on my wish list at amazon. I love books like that and used to have a list of the "disposal words" for more concise writing and need to start working on that again. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Great post! I actually read Moby Dick when I was an adult. It wasn't well-written. I skipped most of the stuff about whales...it slowed things down too much.

      Delete
    3. I suppose when he wrote it people in general had more patience for details than we do in our faster paced world. Yet we are still pulled into reading Moby Dick because we think we should to be well rounded. LOL

      Delete
  14. Well done, returning to college later. I admire that. And yes, coping with your husband's stroke. Yes. And writing wonderfully and making us smile. Another accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I always enjoy reading about other people's accomplishments and am often surprised them them.

      Delete
  15. I can see the apostrophe going away within my life time or at least I hope it does. Unlike the comma, which I am guilty of over using, the meaning is basically the same with an apostrophe or without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you! I never can remember the rules for ussig apostrophes and I'm sure when I try I'm using it wrong.

      Delete
    2. Oh dear. There are definitely different meanings with and without apostrophes. It kinda makes me crazy when I'm reading and have to stop and try to figure out the author's meaning when it's used incorrectly!

      Delete
    3. What drives me crazy with punctuation is when young people (on message boards and in text messages) don't use capital letters at the beginning of sentences or periods at the end. Like you said, having to stop to figure what exactly is being said is so irritating.

      Delete
  16. I barely finished high school leaving at the end of year 10, can't imagine going back to learn stuff again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom and dad barely made it out of elementary school and they were way smarter than me with all my book learning.

      Delete
  17. That is an accomplishment, Bravo! As for the Friend, perhaps it was just as well it wasn't a Zoom Call, so you could do a Pedi and she didn't really know. *LMAO*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point. I met her for coffee recently and I found myself counting during her pauses. I don't know what's wrong with me that i suddenly started bothering me more than it used to.

      Delete
  18. Bravo, indeed! You have more accomplishments than you think. It's hard to toot your own horn but by golly you've done a LOT of big things. Even this move is a big deal.

    Thanks for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jean :

    your blog is inspiring me to learn english grammer on my own online since being enginer & working in the technical field only thing matteres was you get your work done correctly, it does not matter you were not able to convey your point in proper English, who cares as long as you get your point across never cared about english grammer lol. I am surprised you faced that kind of sexist advisor, when I went to engineering there were lot of loosers like that & I am grateful that I am raised by strong women who allowed me to go after my goal & finish my education before getting married to my huband, & it turned out to be I was the first engineer women in our community so finding guy more educated than me was trouble, luckily they found my hubby. your blogs are another great accomplishment, they are indeed pleasure to read & model after, I call them my happy pill

    Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, happy pill blog posts? You always have a way of putting a smile on my face.

      I don't think My experience with the advisor was all the unusual back then. It was the early 1960s, kind of a hit-an-miss thing for opportunities opening up for women who stood up for themselves.

      I've always admired you and your education, you are obviously one smart cookie to hold a degree your field. Considering English is your 2nd language, you do just fine in grammar department.

      Delete
  20. I had all Shakespeare in my senior year high school English class. I was on the point of failing. It was so boring and I couldn't make sense of it and then, thank goodness, one day it just made sense and I ended up with an A for that part of the year. That opened my mind to the fact that I could probably find a way to make any subject interesting if I tried hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never taken Shakespeare. Just the thought of doing it puts me in panic mode. Isn't it interesting, though, how our minds can suddenly have an ah, 'A Ha Moment' of understanding when if all makes sense.

      Delete
    2. Dear Jean, I just chortled at your final paragraph. You do have such a dry wit--it just delights me! As to diagraming: yes, Sister Mary McCauley taught our class for three years and we leaned how to diagram up the Kazoo. As you indicate, that skill helped my writing greatly.

      Your writing about pivotal moments and your three most wonderful accomplishments is getting me thinking about my own life. Thank you. But with regard to what you share, I'd say that you have always been a woman of many talents and honed skills. I know that your have embraced the arts all your life, but I want to say that your love of language shines also in your postings, your wit, and your sense of the ridiculous. Peace.

      Delete
    3. Oh, my gosh, you have me blushing with your kind words.

      As for my last paragraph, somewhere along the line of trying to learn how to write I was taught the last paragraph should sum up the rest. Sometimes I manage that, others times I don't.

      Delete
  21. Count me as another one who loved diagramming sentences! I still do it sometimes when I'm trying to sort out some messy syntax.
    A friend of mine once told me that he had "started Moby Dick about fifty times but never made it out of New Bedford Harbor" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny about your friend and Moby Dick. I started it many times too before I finally skim read to the end.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.