Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Book Club Highs and Lows

I’m in book club hell right now. We’re supposed to be reading Midnight in Chernobyl by Adam Higginbothham but with all that's going on in that part of the world right now this is a tough read. If you were around in 1986 you might remember the disaster at the nuclear power plant near the city of Pripyat in what is now northern Ukrainian but when it was built it was part of the Soviet Union. It was the worse nuclear disaster in history and… and let’s hope it stays the worse, given that’s where Russia is now staging part of its war against Ukraine and no one really knows what Putin wants to do with the still radioactive forest surrounding the remains of the melted down nuclear plant and the ghost town that was once Pripyat.

It’s a big book, one we picked before the war started, and it’s got a lot of Russian names and so I decided I’d rather listen to it than read it. But I didn’t want to buy it for my Kindle so I went to the library in my new neighborhood, got a library card and directions on how to borrow audible books. What I didn’t know is the library only had two audio copies and they were already out on load. How is it that there is a limit on audio copies? I don’t know so I started reading the book under protest but Amazon must have heard me complaining because they e-mailed me an offer for two free audio books and all I have to do is to remember to cancel the auto sign-up before May 10th to keep from getting charged $15 a month for audios. You’d better believe I wrote that date down in my day planner. 

I was talking to another book club member this week and she’s convinced that Amazon audios are free and have been for years. “You’d better be checking your credit card statements.” I replied, “because you’re probably getting charged monthly.” She also thinks Kindle Unlimited books are free, too, with no monthly fee for those unlimited books. If she’s not paying the same flat fee for unlimited Kindle that I am then one of her kids has figured out a way to gift the services to her. But she'll never know if they are because she thinks I'm the daffy one who can't get it through my head that Kindle gives away those books absolutely free with no strings attached. We're a well-matched pair of stubborn mules on the topic.

Our first club read was The Man Called Ove which I thought was quite boring until I was about half way through it and on my own I would have quit reading long before I got to that point. But as my brother is fond of saying it builds character to do something you don't want to do. Then we read Caste that I wrote an entire post about which exposed our resident racist and we had a robust discussion. We followed up that book with The Guest Book which also contained themes of racism, classism and the Holocaust. I hated that book with a passion because it was so poorly edited and I just didn’t care about any of the characters. I was not the only one who found the book hard to follow but about half the group enjoyed it. Are you like that? Do you need to relate to a few characters in a book to motivate you to keep reading? Aside from that I'm also kind of detail picky too. This author used a metaphor early on in the book about voices traveling along a telegraph line, not a telephone line, and from there on I put on an editor's hat would have gladly cut 100 pages and a half dozen other stupid metaphors of out of the book if I'd had the chance.

Our last book was Almost Sisters which is the first book we’ve read that I’ve truly enjoyed reading. Again, it had a subplot of racism which really wound up our resident racist. If I was inclined to give her another nickname it would be broken record. I could write an entire post about the different facets of her personality. I love parts of her (her sense of humor) admire parts of her (her generosity has no limits) and I despise parts of her (her far-right politics and racism) and sometimes I wish I could be her because she's bold at expressing her opinions in public. No matter the topic, she does not hold back. Me? I've always been quick the deliver the we-need-to-agree-to-disagree sentence to defuse growing conflicts. I once broke up a fist fight with those words but I think the guys just needed a way to save face before they both got seriously hurt and hauled off to jail or the hospital or both.

Why stay in a book club when the choice of books are all so heavy or not to my liking? Because it really does build character for one thing and for another we have some great minds in the group who all bring interesting antidotes to the discussions. The college art professor that I’m still fangirling is one of them. There are also two other college professors, 3-4 grade school teachers, a medical tech, a psychiatrist, a graphic designer and a social worker---all retired. While I've probably read as many books as the others in this group have, they've read far better quality books than my slutty choices whose titles I forget the minute I read the last they-lived-happily-ever-after paragraph. 

I like the mental challenge this club is giving me and I’m not a shy kitten sitting in the corner. I make my share of observations and comments hoping they swim instead of sink on the wind. I print off and study the discussion questions. I come prepared and a couple of times when the book conversations stagnated the group has asking to use those questions. I've pushed them to the center of the table and said, “I don’t read in public but if someone else wants to do it, here they are.” 

Early on I was up front about my mild dyslexia and my early childhood trouble learning to read which in itself is a novelty for me to reveal. I still can’t sound out words which is why I don’t read out loud in public and why I depend on Alex for spelling when I write. At the risk of going off on a tangent---again---about how hard it is to spell or pronounce words not in common use when you can't use phonetics I'll end this post here by saying I really, REALLY love my book club even though it sometimes scares the crap out of me to be in a group with so many well educated people. 

One last thing: if you know someone who frequently asks you to spell something for them, just spell the damn thing and don't say, "Look it up!" <rant off> ©

52 comments:

  1. It's interesting that this book was selected for your book club, prior to the onset of the most recent siege. When a person actually thinks about what happened in Chernobyl and what is happening there now, it's unsettling. I doubt I'd be able to sleep at night if I read it. I know that book was supposed to be well written and it won awards, but that doesn't automatically make it a "good read" in my book. Jean, your life experiences have given you a broad education. Some of the members of your club may have impressive degrees, but have knowledge in just one area. You and your husband operated a business, you've managed homes, and you were your husband's caregiver (and I'll bet the list goes on). Never doubt that you have earned your spot in the group. You have much to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound just like my niece. She once gave me the same pep talk about me interacting with my fellow residents. I agree I've earned my spot in a group like this but I do feel my ability to vocalize what I want to say is waning. I'm sure it happened to us all as we age but it's scary when you open your mouth and you can't always predict what comes out or say what you want. But I look at book club like mental exercise which is an important as physical exercise.

      The Chernobyl accident was a series of design flaws and poor quality materials used in its construction although the government tried to cover that up and blame it on human era. The almost impossible job of containing the aftermath could happen to any of the nuclear power plants that is damaged in wars or weather or whatever. Not a nice way to die.

      I didn't vote to read this book for our non-fiction choice. I wanted one about the fall of Detroit. It is very well written and I can see why it won awards. The research would have been difficult and there are over 100 pages of footnotes and references on where the information came from.

      Delete
  2. I want to read the one about the fall of Detroit you mentioned above. I would have thought Michigan people would have wanted that one, too. Chernobyl would be interesting in the abstract but very tough in the specifics right now. Is it a non-fiction book club? Doesn't sound like it because of Ove but you need to shake it up with different types of books now and then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a surprising number lot of people living here who came from out of state...most often to be closer to their kids. We're not a non-fiction club but decided to read two a year plus on classic. Part of our problem is that we're so new to the Book Club in a Bag program we often can't get the books we really want and the two people picking them out has decide on the spot. They need a better system but I no one else is volunteering for the job so we get what we get...

      Delete
  3. I have never joined a book club, probably because I am a big reader and like to read what I choose to read. I am a big fan of mysteries but will try other types of books if I see them recommended on the blogs I read. You are a smart, sassy, quick-witted woman and I think your book club is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but I'm no longer quick-witted on my feet...at least not every day in every conversation. I miss the predictability of knowing what comes out of my mouth is what I thought I'd say. LOL

      I've been in three book clubs. One was a joke as it was mostly just an excuse to get-together. If was frustrating when you read the book and ended up no one wanting to actually discuss it. One of the best things about a book club that is run well is that you stretch your self to read thigs you might not pick for yourself.

      Delete
  4. I like nonfiction books and would rather read them than fiction. I always feel like I'm learning so much, and if I want to know more, I can extend my quest easily.

    Your book club is a challenge in more ways than one, I see. I think that's a Good Thing, overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read very little on-fiction but our club has decided to do it 3-4 times a year. I'll try whatever book they put in front of me but I'm glad I found audios for the really hard ones.

      Delete
  5. If memory serves me right, there were a group of women who refused to leave the area affected by the nuclear disaster. There's a documentary out there somewhere titled The Babushkas of Chernobyl. I don't belong to any book clubs so I often read various book reviews to gain other perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to google The Babushkas. This book hasn't mentioned them and I'm almost through with the book.

      I think I enjoy reading book reviews almost more than reading books. I read a lot of them.

      Delete
  6. First of all, I totally agree with Pam re: your experience and your input. Your blog is always interesting, and I have no doubt your book group also appreciates your perspective. :-)

    I really tried to read A Man Called Ove and I'm now wondering if I gave up too quickly. But the first part was just irritating me. My brother also loved it, so maybe I should try again.

    The Chernobyl book feels like a bridge too far for me right now. I'm trying not to fall into the pit of despair over the Ukraine. I will say I read an in depth article about it with full color pictures a few years back. What a nightmare. You are reading much deeper books that I am right now. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Man Called Ove, even thought it got better at the midway point I didn't think it was worth the time. It was too nuanced for my tastes and I caulk that up to being written by and for a foreign market.

      Midnight in Chernobyl is giving me an understanding on why the Russians drink so much and why the Soviet Union broke up.

      Delete
  7. You are a much fairer person than I can claim. Kudos for seeing the good qualities in your resident racist.

    A book club meeting certainly helps make one continue reading books that we might not otherwise and that is a good mental stretch. I'm going to look for the one on the fall of Detroit as it sounds interesting. Right now I'm trying to get through "A Square Meal" vs my mindless mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book about the fall of Detroit is titled 'Detroit: An American Autopsy.' It's not a big book, 278 pages.

      Living here has taught me that to be more open-minded to the various factors of a person's personality. Here, I'm privy to the kind of rehashing of our days over dinner or lunch like you get with a family so you see the whole person, not just bits and pieces at a social function.

      Delete
    2. Detroit: An American Autopsy was a good read.

      Delete
    3. I want to read it! Thanks for the input.

      Delete
  8. Probably why I am not in a book club. I am quick to ditch a book that doesn't draw me in early. I can see where it would be great mental exercise though and wish you luck. Your current book is really timely. I remember Chernobyl as well as our own scare with Three Mile Island.
    I have A Man Called Ove on hold and hope I can make it to the good part.
    Have you ever noticed that critically praised books often are not a good read?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, The Guest Book is one of them that got high praises in the literary world.

      I used to force myself to finish books I didn't like and only in the past few years that I quit if they don't grab me in the first 100 pages. For book club I will still press to the end, though.

      Delete
  9. Your book club reminds me of one where I was once a member. So many intellectuals and PhD's. It is definitely intimidating to chime in around those folks, but I know that sometimes the things I pointed out were of interest to them. We didn't choose books from a list and vote on them as some clubs do; instead, the host of the next meeting chose the book. I made it a point to choose some classics instead of their favorite fodder taken from the "book club" section of best seller lists. I know that despite their educations, this was the first time some of them had read those books.

    I'm wondering if in this age of such high technology in our smart phones there isn't some kind of online dictionary where you could speak the word you are looking for into a microphone? If not, somebody should hurry up and invent that!

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to read a classic some where along the line, too. That should be interesting.

      Alexa is really good at finding words. I can ask it to spell such-and-such and most of the time that's enough. Sometimes I apparently pronounce words wrong so I have to get more creative and as her to give me synonym for a word I know means the same as the one I'm trying to spell. Before Alexa I had a Franklin Word Master that literally changed my life. With that I can type a word the way I think it's spelled and it will give me 12 choices for what I might be trying to get. Works like a charm and I learned that I usually get the first and last few letters correct and mix up the middle letters or forget them altogether. WORD has a similar feature but it doesn't work nearly as good as my old Franklin. The new Franklin's aren't as good either. I used to joke that I'd die with it under my pillow because I'm taking it with me to the nursing home.

      Delete
  10. The number of e-copies of a book at a library is due to software licenses they bought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are an Amazon Prime member, there is a program Amazon Prime Reading where you can "borrow" books for free. Some even have an audible feature. This is separate from the Kindle Unlimited program that charges you. I recently discovered this program, and have "borrowed" and read several books this month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you are an Amazon Prime member, there is a free Amazon Prime Reading program where you can "borrow" books and return when you're finished. This is a separate program from the Kindle Unlimited program that charges you. I recently learned of this program and have "borrowed" and read several books this month. Some of them even have an audible feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, that's starting to make more sense if it's a separate program from Kindle Unlimited. I do have Amazon Prime so I shall check it out and be prepared to eat crow the next time I see my combat partner. LOL

      Delete
  13. I love my BC although I am sometimes frustrated by the people in it and the books chosen. However, it does stretch me to read those out of my comfort zone and I enjoy the discussion (we always have BC questions) and the treats. During the pandemic we've met outside and masked on a friend's outdoor deck (with heaters) and it's been a lifeline to be able to see others. I hope you have some better books to read. My group is all retired teachers from my school and we are all liberals. So that helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having all liberal in a book club would help a lot but maybe the mixed groups teach us to be more tolerant. LOL Sounds like a great club you have, keeping it safely going during the pandemic.

      Delete
  14. I love borrowing digital and audio books from my library. I’ve lived here 2 years (almost) and have not set foot in the library yet, although I use it all the time. Jean, there are book smart people and there are life smart people and I’ll take a life smart person over book smart any day of the week! You are life smart (a keen observer of folks) and have much to offer. I think you are a valuable addition to your club!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel respected in the group. I feel badly that I left the impression that I'm not.

      Delete
  15. I've been part of two book clubs but they were not about reading ... just socializing. And I'm not a fan of nonfiction unless it is a topic I'm interested. I'm a book club of one! I don't read at all now, ever since Mr. Ralph died. What is up with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't read after Don died for about 4 years, I just couldn't concentrate and quickly gave up. If you enjoyed reading in the past you should give it another try, starting with something light and easy.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. You know what they say, "too many books, so little time."

      Delete
  17. I love a good discussion about a book, and your book club members sound really interesting. Several book clubs put one of my novels on their list and then invited me to join them for their meeting. It was fun each time, and they always served good food. But I wonder if they felt able to speak their minds when I was there.

    What an unhappy coincidence that you're reading about Chernobyl this month. That's the one difficult thing about book clubs. You don't get to choose what you're going to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been in writing groups when we've discussed each other's writings and I know how hard that can be with people who understand the process. I can't image being at a book club when your own book is the main event. But in one club I was in a self-published author joined our group and got us to buy and read her book and it was really awkward. No one said anything negative about it but it was a dreary read about a painful event in her life so it felt more like a therapy session than a book discussion. When she didn't come back we heard she'd joined several book clubs and got them all to read her book as well and we felt used.

      Delete
  18. All I can say is, good for you! I've been a member of Audible for years now. I've had chronic eyestrain all my life so it has been a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried audible back when I had a different Kindle and it wasn't loud enough to me to hear from more than two foot away. My newish one is better so I might be using audible more in the future.

      Delete
  19. I've never been in a book club, but I certainly have had a lot of "conversations" with the authors of books I've read! If I do read fiction these days, I tend toward the classics, but I'm mostly a non-fiction gal. The biggest reason I wouldn't join a book club at this point in my life is that I'd much rather be chasing my own rabbits than spending time on a fox that someone else has decided to hunt!

    By the way: one thing that's helped me with pronunciation are the various sites that offer audio files. Just type in "how to pronounce [whatever]" and it will pop right up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done that and it does help improve my Alex connections to hear how I mispronounce stuff. I'm still a work in progress on the whole language front.

      I guess I like getting out of my comfort zone at times when it comes to books. I haven't read a lot of the classics if they weren't required for a course. But I much prefer the more modern style of writing. Too much description and flowery sentences does me in.

      Delete
  20. I have been in a book club for 6 years. Not always books I would have chosen but it opened my eyes to many topics and authors I would not have read on my own. We vote on recommenced books and we read and discuss and rate the book.even if you haven’t read the book you are invited to listen and socialize after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just suggested we start rating our reads because we used to do that in another club I was in and sometimes what a person rates a book surprised us, given the comments that've made about it. We been encouraging those who haven't read it or finished it to come, too.

      Delete
  21. I haven't been in a book club for years so I'm enjoying your observations about yours. I remember reading books that I didn't care about, too. If it builds character, you're well on your way to being a character... or are you already there? 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After being told that by my brother for nearly 80 years I think I've got all the character I'm going to get. LOL

      Delete
  22. I would find that first book very hard to read right now, given the horribly situation Ukraine is in. Like you I like audio books. I find them particularly nice when other languages are involved. I like that the professionals reading do voices/accents etc which make books far more interesting and entertaining. Too bad your friend doesn't understand books aren't free. She's probably being taken advantage of and doesn't know it. I probably would not stay in a book I didn't enjoy, even if in a group. So many good books out there, I see no reason to spend time on one I'm not enjoying. I don't know that I relate to a character in the book, but do pay more attention to the people in the book vs how the book is written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is only the second book I've listened to on tape. The other one had a lot of accents and I thoroughly enjoyed that aspect and I know I never would have gotten through a 600 page book without audio.

      I do enjoy how books are written and have tried writing a couple. I also enjoy studying why people like the kinds of books they are drawn to. I've always enjoy taking classes and did so until my mid-40s and a good book club serves the same purpose for me. I don't know if I used the right word when I said I have to 'relate' to a character. I guess I mean they have to be believable and multi-leveled and I have to be invested in one of the characters. With The Guest Book for example, I didn't care at all what happened or didn't happen to anyone in the book.

      Delete
  23. In my old group, the first thing we did was go around the table and give a quick rating fron 1 to ten and say why. Someone always brought the questions and sometimes we used them and sometimes we didn't need em. I am one of those that will finish most books rather than set a specific time or page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to suggest the rating idea. In a group I was in we did it at the end but at the beginning sounds more useful in kick starting a discussion.

      Delete
  24. I'm another who cannot spell.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Some people continue all their life with the way they are brought up. No thinking about the subject. That differentiates them from the rest of us who think about it and make our own decisions. Then, of course, there are the crazies.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm glad you're enjoying your Book Club even tho' some of it can be Book Club Hell. You're more tolerant than me with some people tho' Jean, I don't like confrontations but don't think ALL viewpoints/opinions are valid, once they cross the line and become abhorrent, I JUST CAN'T... and don't want to be around those types of people at all, in ANY setting. So, Racist Gal would mos def not have enough other endearing qualities for me to remotely like her or tolerate her... especially emboldened to spread her Hatred openly, Gak! But, it sounds like there are some exemplary Members of the Club that more than make up for the enduring of the likes of her. I think it would be interesting to hear what people think about what they've read and the perspective they had on it. Who chooses the Books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to understand where people are coming from to combat some of their screwball ideas. As hard as it is to listen to a racist we aren't going to break them down unless we get to the root of their thinking.

      Picking the book we read is still a mess in progress. It's more a thing of what is available at the moment we need new books.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.