Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Roswell, New Mexico - Netflix Series


Let’s talk sci-fi. I’m not a huge fan of the genre but every once in a while it catches my interest. The last time was the movie E.T. so I was long over due for a little alien invasion to take up space in the what-if part of my brain. I just finished binge-watching three seasons of Netflix’s Roswell, New Mexico and the first thing I did when I got to the end was start watching it from the beginning again. The worst part is not having anyone around who I can talk to about it. My husband wanted to believe in aliens from outer space and he was keenly interested in Area 51. He would have loved hearing me rave about the actors and how skilled they are, about all the sub-plots, special effects, weird science and Area 51 military stuff in this series.

And the nuggets of wisdom hidden in the dialogues? That’s my favorite part. Where I live, here in independent living, any time TV is mentioned it’s clear the overwhelming favorite things to watch are sports, PBS documentaries, British TV and old people shows that I left behind in the middle of the last century. What will people think if I start talking aliens? That I'm ready to be moved to memory care or the assisted living part of the campus, that's what.

Roswell, New Mexico is basically an alien/human romance with a lot of social justice issues and tons of sub-plots thrown in. It starts out when three aliens walk into a bar…just kidding. It starts out when three aliens in the form of human children are found wandering in the desert and from there the story evolves. Max, who becomes a sheriff, and his twin sister Isabel got adopted by loving parents. The third alien/genius, Michael, wasn’t so fortunate and he got kicked around the social services system. (Hint, hint. A nature versus nurture sub-plot.) He's wasting his adult life working as an auto mechanic and drinking too much. He sums up his character best in these lines of dialogue: “When you are a kid who nobody loves, kindness is a currency. Friendship doesn’t mean jack. Family just lies and hurts and leaves. I’ve only ever known love to be temporary. So, yeah, I push people away. Every time someone threatens to care about me, I test their love until they have to leave. Connection is conditional. Everybody eventually gives up on the guy who refuses to be rescued. But you were the only one that I could never run off. You never believed me when I tried to be something I wasn’t.”

The series has voice-overs and lots of dialogue that I wanted to savor enough to google. Like when Isabel says: “The idea of God always freaked me out. Like, apparently, he made people in his own image, which first of all, get over yourself. But also, does that apply to us? Does every planet have its own god? Let’s say that we’re all clones of the big guy in the sky. Well, then doesn’t it stand to reason that we’re all capable of slinging light. Well I guess by that same token, we’re all capable of tremendous wrath. We’re walking contradictions. A never-ending, mercurial rise and fall. Darkness and light. I guess the real miracle is choosing the light. Despite the ever-present darkness.” 

Alex, another main character, is in love with alien Michael and Alex’s father is a high ranking officer in the Air Force working in a top secret area of Area 51. He thought he could beat the gayness out of his son and that plot line thickens in unexpected ways. At one point Alex says about a secret prison where alien survivors from the crash of '47 have been used as lab rats: “You just watched your government blow up a building filled with elderly people. Your brain is trying to justify the slaughter so that your government can be right. We want to believe that we’re safe, that goodness prevails. That’s the coldest reality about war. Sometimes you’re just doing what you’re told, and all of a sudden, things are burning, people are screaming, and then you look around and you realize that the evil is you.”

In one scene Alex says to a random guy in a bar, “I cannot tell you how badly I want to be done with this frickin’ closet” and the guy replies, “But you’re not. And that’s okay. Really. Listen, if that voice in your head ever shuts up, give me a call. Because between you and me, making out with a hot guy in public is only made hotter when it pisses off all the bigots and homophobes.” Oh, and did I mention that factions in the series are working on a viral weapon that, if dropped in heavily populated areas, would only kill people with certain DNA sequencing? Let that sink in...genocide of whole races or sexual deviants or medical deficiencies. The ethics of DNA bio-engineering research is also a theme that peaks my interest.

Grieving over loved ones also has a big part in the plot twists and Liz says something that a few widows, I’m sure, could identify with: “There are five stages of grief. Denial is first, but we’re way past that. The second stage is anger. I haven’t hit stage three yet. In fact, I may never get there because, to be honest, rage feels a lot better than sadness. This anger has become my best friend. It’s my fuel; it’s my armor.”

And having cut my reading teeth on romance novels I’d be remiss if I didn’t end this post with a romantic quote said by Max to Liz, a  research scientist, after she says he doesn’t know the real her enough to love her: “You are overly defensive and you’re sometimes selfish, and you are always muttering in Spanish like you think it’s some secret language that no one understands. But, hello, we are in New Mexico. We all speak Spanish. You always have to convince everyone that you are the smartest one in the room like we don’t already know. You think your sister was hard to love and so you think by being perfect and being the smartest that you are easier to love, easier for your mom, easier for your dad. But you are not perfect; I see your faults and I love you. Easily.” 

All fiction asks the reader or viewer to suspend their disbelief and Roswell, New Mexico is a big ask. It won’t be for everyone but if you’re into sci-fi you might want to give it a try. It’s deep, fast-paced, addictive and is filled with interesting characters, story lines and plot twists. A fourth season is coming and I can't wait. ©

Footnote: Quotes are all from Basic Stuff. (A pop culture online magazine.)

37 comments:

  1. I'll pass on this one. Science fiction and fantasy just aren't my thing. On the other hand, when my high school band was returning from playing at the NY World's Fair in 1964, two busloads of kids and chaperones did see that fluorescent green, cigar-shaped thing that followed along beside us on the Pennsylvania Turnpike for several minutes. Eventually, it buzzed straight up into the air and disappeared. It was quite an experience, I'll say that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. I can't stand musicals. We all have our 'things.' This series has so many moral dilemmas in it that the characters wrestle that makes it interesting for a student of human behavior. I'm also watching Downton Abbey because so many people here love it and I wanted to know the appeal. I get it but I don't love it.

      Someone I know had an experience like yours and thought it was a UFO. I just read a statistic that say 80% of UFO can be explained but 20% remain UFOs and some of those were seen by trained pilots and astronauts. Enough so that the government has started studying them again only now they're called UAPs (unidentified aerial Phenomena). Rebranding the 'crazies' out the the picture, I'm guessing.

      Delete
    2. Ha! I don’t like musicals either..favorite is serious Crime drama..hence BritBox and Acorn TV..the best

      Delete
    3. I used to like crime drama but then I decided I didn't want the images planted in my subconscious, but I sure understand the appear of that genre. Britbox is popular around here.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a big sci-fi fan, so I think I'll give this one a pass. Life is so short and there is so much to watch, read and do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blog fodder. Writing this post was like fishing. You know you're not going to catch every fish that swims by the bait but all I really need is one person who also watched this series to make it worth writing about. Besides, I'm tired of writing about the activities and people around here. Needed a break.

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting - I might check it out. Have you watched the series "Sweet Tooth" or "Stranger Things"? Those were both good series that I binge-watched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Sweet Tooth'? Like the comic book? Not sure I'd like that one but 'Stranger Things' peaks my interest. It sure got a lot of awards! Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I don't know about a comic book but this is what it is about: "On a perilous adventure in a post-apocalyptic world, a boy who's half-human and half deer searches for a new beginning with a gruff protector."

      Delete
    3. Dug a little deeper and found out the series is based on three graphic novels by Jeff Lemire. The cover on book one shows the characters you mentioned above. A hybrid boy in a postapocalyptic sci-fi world and his protector.

      Delete
  4. Ok I like Sci-fi if it’s geared to adults, not teenagers and of this, there are very few. 2001 Space Odyssey, Contact, Alien were good. When and if I get Netflix again ( I rotate), I will give it a try.
    I also like apocalyptic movies, but again, done maturely like On the Beach, Dr. Strangelove and Failsafe. All old but better than the stuff they produce now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. During the pandemic I read a lot of apocalyptical books which I found strangely comforting. And it crossed my mind that the worse the world gets the more I like the stuff where you have to stretch your disbelief.

      I guess there was another series based on the same book/s before this 'Roswell, New Mexico' came along named just 'Roswell' that was more for young adults/teens. The one I wrote about is geared to adults. I think. I haven't much experience reading or viewing YA stuff to really compare.

      Delete
  5. Sounds intriguing to me! I don't normally go for 'imagined future' type SF either, but aliens on earth interacting with us could grab me. I confess to being one of the British/Welsh/Australian junkies. I have Acorn TV ($6.99 a month) through my Roku and the series I'm finding are well written and engaging. At some point they all go a little sideways with the plot line, but if the characters appeal, I just roll my eyes and keep watching.
    By the way, if you would like the teapot painting, come to my blog and click on 'View my Complete Profile', then on 'Contact Me' and we can arrange that. I get enough pleasure from your blog a trade seems the neighborly thing to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about all series eventually going sideways. I think the 3rd season of this series did according to fan sites so I'm interested in seeing how the writers bring it back to what was the main appeal in the beginning.

      Wow, on the tea pot painting and your kind words about my blog giving you pleasure. I'll be over soon.

      Delete
  6. I've enjoyed reading about Area 51. My son made a career in the Air Force. He was in Special Ops and always tight-lipped until he retired after 20 years. I think there's so much that the general public doesn't know, and that is understandable. The other thing I believe is that we humans believe what we want to believe. Often, we only truly see what we want to see. For example, my people were from a rural area in Fulton County Illinois. Back in the early 1940s, a full-fledged military training camp was built,called Camp Ellis. I believe it was located near train tracks and the local folks were aware that there was lots of activity, but there were barricades and the area was off limits. It had been built as a training facility, but within a few years, it transitioned to a German POW camp. Now here's the part that blows me away. My parents and their parents and all of their friends knew absolutely nothing about this camp for most of their adult lives. We lived less than 30 miles from the site and had relatives even closer to it. My parents would have been teenagers when it was built. Yes, farm communities are not heavily populated, but there is no shortage of shared news (and gossip). For this sizable camp to function, there had to be much activity and military personnel. I know it sounds strange, but this is the truth. I really think people see what they're comfortable seeing and tell themselves what makes sense to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating! Solders much have kept their secrets better back in those days. Remember how all letters send to family and friends were filled with blacked out lines?

      I just recently learned that Michigan also had a POW camp during WWII for Germans and some of them wanted to stay here after the war when they were to be shipped back to Germany. Makes you wonder want else was/is being hidden. My husband was also keenly interested in Area 51 and read a lot about it.

      Delete
  7. I did start this series but didn't get into it. I am more a Star Wars or Alien kind of girl. However, I'm going to give it a new try sometimes you just have to catch the right show on the right day. Even if it doesn't turn out to be a favorite of mine, isn't it so much fun when a program really speaks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been reading so many heavy books about racism and Holocaust in book club that I think I needed some fantasy to focus on for a change. So, yes, this caught me at the right time. I do love it when something does that to the point I find myself googling related topics. I liked Star Wars too. But aliens passing as humans is new sub-genre for me.

      Delete
  8. I used to watch a show with the same ame and such and liked it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's based on a book and has been remade a couple of time on film.

      Delete
  9. Don't have Netflix but this sounds very interesting. I love sci-fi and would like to believe they are walking among us right now. I have some friends I wonder about. They just seem to be a bit better than the rest of us and I assume or maybe just hope, an advanced society would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make us hopeful, doesn't it, to assume if they are smart even to get here, they'd be evolved morally as well. Stephen Hawking didn't think it was a good idea for us to send messages out into space, hoping to contact other planets, he didn't think we should assume they'd be nice.

      Delete
  10. If I see it, I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sci Fi and fantasy isn't something I've ever enjoyed. A co-worker's husband did lots of security stuff at Rosewell, so I'm not sure what might or might not be real there. A pretty creeping place. But, good for you for finding something you enjoy. And Stephen Hawking was a brilliant man...so maybe we shouldn't mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, it's hard to ignore the warnings of someone like Hawking. Truth is stranger than fiction, as they say.

      Delete
  12. Not generally a sci-fi fan, but this sounds interesting. We're currently watching Longmire. Neither of us had ever seen it and a friend of DH recommended it. It's OK, I guess, but I have enjoyed many things more. LOL. I have always found the whole Area 51 thing interesting!

    I'm also watching (by myself) Shtisel, a little soapy drama set in Jerusalem in Hebrew with subtitles. DH would never watch that, but I'm finding it interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Longmire is in the top three Netflics that I've watched and watching anything with subtitles would be at the bottom of my list. Isn't it fascinating how wide a variety of entertainment it takes to make us all happy.

      Delete
    2. Didn’t care for Longmire, but loved Shtisel..great story and acting

      Delete
    3. I will admit Walt Longmire isn't hard to look at. LOL. And the stories are entertaining without keeping me up at night, so that's a big plus. :-)

      Delete
    4. Mary, you and Hope would be great TV trading partners. I liked the culture clashes in Longmire between the Native Americans and whites in modern times. And I won't watch anything foreign with all closed captions. Don't read fast enough to get both the dialogue and the action.

      Delete
  13. I'm not familiar with this show, but I bet I'd enjoy it. I'll look for it when next I'm in the mood for something new. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone, but by the time you realize how far out it gets you've invested in the characters and they've sucked you in.

      Delete
  14. Kathe R. in RaleighMarch 24, 2022 at 2:39 PM

    You hooked me! I've been a science fiction fan ever since I left the children's dept at the public library. I walked over to the teen section, and found only fluffy tizzy books about The Prom, which held no interest for me. Adult fiction was too heavy. In between (literally) was the "science fiction" section. That was fascinating, and interesting, and I've never stopped reading it, sampling the different genres within. I like the "space opera' genre, like Star Trek, where the future is almost unimaginably different, and better, but humans still have problems - just like now. (And note, what was so futuristic with the original Star Trek, is now commonplace - automatic doors, communication badges, and more!)

    The hard part for me, as for you, is having lost my partner, with whom I'd talk about the ideas in the science fiction stories, listen to books on trips, and watch the TV shows and movies. I do connect with a local science fiction Meetup, but that is occasional, not daily, as in the past. Luckily, every night I can watch Star Trek series on free broadcast TV here, and I do. I love to see how the characters - including "aliens" - interact, learn, fight, and grow, especially on Deep Space 9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew they'd be at least one sci-fi fan who'd connect with this post.

      People who write sci-fi must be very smart and read a lot of scientific journals because basically they take use cutting edge ideas---like DNA sequencing---and then let their imaginations take them to both the good and evil places the science advancement could take them in the future.

      Meetups would be a good way to connect with other sci-fi fans locally. I haven't sought out message boards for sci-fi but I'll bet they're out there. I've loved messages boards in the past for politics, reading and writing romances and for caregivers.

      My husband and I used to listen to books-on-tape while driving on vacation, too.

      Delete
  15. It sounds like a lot to unpack in that Series so I don't know I'd want to do that much unpacking. I do like Sci-Fi tho' if it's done well and I can't imagine in this vast Universe that we'd be the Lone Planet with inhabitants and a viable civilization. It makes me wonder tho', since Aliens visiting us would clearly already be way advanced, what they THINK of us? I know I am watching Society devolve around me to a degree that we're not looking so good as a viable Species, are we? Of coarse, The Man would argue that my Ancestry DNA results of 21% Other Of Undetermined Origin sounded suspiciously 'Alien' to him. *winks* He has always thought my People were from another Planet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are Native Americans who have Sky People in their folklore, aren't there? And something has to explain the ancient cave drawings with what looks like people wearing helmets. Your husband's theory is a good as any other. My husband also believed the universe is too large for there to only be one inhabited planet.

      Delete
  16. Maybe I will watch an episode of this show. I have listened to coasttocoastam radio since Art Bell founded it, and George Noory is the host now, he is also excellent. He covers UFO and Area 51 topics frequently. If aliens are interested in our planet they may not be friendly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.