Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Hawaii Week and Hard Jigsaw Puzzles

It’s been said more than a few times that living in a Continuum Care Complex compares to being on a cruise ship and not just about this place where I’m at. I toured another facility up by where I used to live and their director used that term when he gave his sales pitch to the group of seniors I was with to tour the place and to have lunch. They have a piano bar and happy hour every night and the bartenders all wore ship captain's hats and white uniforms, trying to sell the happy vibe of the place. Oh, yes, these kinds of places are in competition for our dollars and with 4-5 new ones in town they are all hoping to win over the Baby Boomers by pleasing taste buds as well as keep us entertained. Chefs in these places are getting top dollar now and we have three working here. 

Our most recent newly hired chef is going to fatten me up even more than I already am with his nightly specials. Monday's offering of pork, sweet potatoes, veggies and pineapple had me moaning so often I finally understood the term, food organism. Best. Meal. I. Ever. Ate. The next day they had a coconut shrimp special that I couldn’t eat because I’m allergic to shellfish but I got to listen to a whole table full of woman having food organisms. 

Those two dishes back to back were by design for the complexes’ Hawaii theme week. Every fifth or sixth week they have a theme week which seemed silly at first. Each day we’re supposed to dress a certain way…like Hawaii shirts day for example but eventually you get into the silliness of theme weeks and find yourself at Lane Bryant buying an ugly Christmas sweater for 60% off for next years’ Merry Week. The food and entertainment follows the theme too. Hawaii Week so far is/was my favorite. One day it was free Margarita's Day and another day it was cruise ship bingo with coconut themed food prizes. Another day it was a PBS virtual tour of the natural wonders of the island and the Friday night the movie was South Pacific. 

But the highlight of the week for me was a Live Steel Drums program put together by a music therapist who also belongs to a steel drum band of 100+ members. She goes to Trinidad every year and has for 30 years to take part in a steel drum competition. We saw a ten minute video of the competition but the rest of her time was spent teaching us how to play---or rather six volunteers from the audience and two draftees. I was one of those drafted to play one song because they wanted all the Jean’s on campus to play together with the teacher who was also named Jean. It was harder than I thought it would be to get the drum to play loud enough but we had colored stickers inside to help us cheat on the notes, and the scores were written out and held inside the drum with a magnet. 

One woman from my book club really shined on the drums, learned quickly and played two drums at time; she was kept up front the entire time. Our Life Enrichment Director also put on an enthusiastic show while those of us in the audience tried to keep beat with hand-held percussion instruments. I've loved the sound of steel drums since the late sixties when I first heard then in the Bahamas so this event brought back lots of great memories of the islands cruise I was on, of being happily drunk enough to kiss every taxi cab driver we came in contact with one night and of another night dancing on the beach in the wee hours of the morning with a Italian tourist named Matteo who couldn't speak English. At the time the extend of my Italian was to count to ten and the words: arrivederce (see you later), grazie (thank you), prego (you're welcome), capisci (do you understand), ciao (hello/goodbye) and Si (yes)---all learned from my dad, the son of Italian immigrants.

During Hawaii week I also got obsessed by Charlie the RedCat, a puzzle that is advertised as the “world’s most difficult jigsaw puzzle” and it’s certainly the most difficult I’ve every run across and I’ve worked it every winter since 2001. It’s only 15” x 15” and 529 pieces but it took me five days, which is a long time for me. 

What makes it so hard? Several things like it has “the same picture is on both sides, offset by 90 degrees from each other.” And it’s cut from both the front and the back making it impossible to tell one side from the other by looking at the edges. There are only two shapes of puzzle pieces and some pieces seem to be the same front and back but really aren't. You can’t, however, figure that out until you’re down to the last three pieces. Those last three pieces took me an hour and deconstructing parts of the puzzle to figure it out---happens every time I do the puzzle. Even the border pieces are ambiguous; several times I’ve had to dissemble parts of the border pieces and exchange them for others. I only work puzzles in the wintertime so I’m hoping by making this the last for this season I can hurry spring along and maybe use the time for other hobbies. Wish me luck with goal. ©



42 comments:

  1. Hawaii Week sounds like fun to me. And the fact that you're enjoying delicious food makes it even better. Years ago, I remember reading that the Boomer Generation (I'm proud to be a boomer) would continue to impact society, especially in our final phase. The growth and popularity of complexes like yours is a good example of this. There's no way I could do the cat puzzle...Jean, you must be a very patient person. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Baby Boomers definitely influenced the economy and what products and services were needed as they aged. I'm not officially a Boomer but I'm on the cutting edge of that demographic. I'm guessing this place was built with an eye toward converting it to regular apartment living after boomers age out.

      I thought this year would we the year when the cat puzzle did me in. I do love the challenge of hard puzzles. I know a family who mixes two puzzles of similar colors together to work them. I've never been brave enough to try that.

      Delete
  2. We all need springtime this year, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure do! It's supposed to get up to 60 today where I live.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of theme weeks. It'd be a good way to start conversations with other people and keep things fresh. I've never seen a puzzle that declares itself to be the World's Most Difficult-- and I'm a bit scared of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm scared of the clear plastic puzzles. They say they are hard but I'm scared they aren't and I'd waste my money.

      Delete
  4. The food sounds incredible. Theme weeks can be fun and keep people engaged and merry. I share your fondness for steel drums. They have such a distinctive and happy sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know other places and schools do theme weeks but this is my first time experiencing them. So far I'm liking them except for this week aside from Fat Tuesday the rest of the activities revolve around things like doing The Stations of the Cross and other religious stuff but that's okay. It's easy enough to just not drop into those activities.

      Delete
  5. You sure are enjoying life at your new home. I am so glad your move has worked out so well for you. You sound so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy here. The trade off of anything I might miss has been worth it. One thing I will miss is not being able to sit outside after dark to listen to the owls, in the dark. The place it soo well lite for that. Although one many of us in my building got woke up at 2 AM with an owl.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jean, Do you have any suggestions for an introvert living there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are introverts living here. We just don't see them because about half the people living here never come to the classes, parties nor seem to come down to eat. Sometimes you might see the loners pick up their mail or pick up take out but we have great apartments with full kitchens so it's easy to be stand-offish you want to. Tehre is no pressure to be a joiner. Someone new just moved in and didn't accept our invitation to dine with a table full of us and I smiled to myself because I was that lady at first. Didn't think I'd like the group dining but now it's my favorite part.

      Delete
  7. You definitely could do a great ad for them. Like the idea of the themes and first class food. One of my favorite TV shows is Be Positive and it is about a young girl running an assisted living establishment. Interesting how competitive these places are at attracting seniors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure the competitiveness is a recent thing---the last 3 years when all the new places hit the marketplace in preparation for the boomers hitting the age where they're looking to downsize.

      Delete
  8. You do sound like you have really adjusted to living there and are enjoying many activities. What a great choice you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in all I am happy with the choice I made and with the long time it took my to get there.

      Delete
  9. Themes are fun, in my mind. You can do as little or as much to get into the theme! Before Covid, our condo complex would host a themed happy hour. One was a "slumber party" and one older lady came in a sexy negligee wearing a feather boa, tons of jewelry, feathery shoes and a long cigarette holder! I wore a ratty bathrobe and rollers in my hair. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Food organisms...LOL!
    That jigsaw puzzle sounds like pure torture to me. I have enough trouble with a "regular" one. I bow down to your skill and patience, Jean.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a lot of patience for working puzzles but they also are addictive to me and have kept me up until the wee hours of the morning sometimes just looking for ONE MORE piece.

      Delete
  11. I can see how the red cat might lead to hair pulling out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never. I love hard puzzles and might go looking for another two sized one.

      Delete
  12. I'm not into puzzles; I find them more frustrating than enjoyable. I love the sound of the activities at your place and that it's pick and choose and do what you're comfortable with. I have times when I'm very social and other times when I want solitude. I used to love our dress up weeks at school when I taught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never worked in an environment that did theme weeks or dress up days so I'm finding it fun. It will be better next year because many of us gave away stuff we could have used for these.

      Slight half of those living here take part in the activities. But I'm in the independent living section of the campus.

      Delete
  13. Hawaii week sounds like fun. I'm jealous. I'm sorry you couldn't eat the coconut shrimp. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They serve a lot of shrimp here which bugs me. I get hives just looking at it. LOL

      Delete
  14. Themed Weeks sound Fun, especially Hawaii Week and Tropical anything... I long for a Cruise to an Island, preferably Bora Bora, No. 1 on my Bucket List of things to do before I Die. Don't have the patience for Puzzles. Having Food Orgasms, well, he must be quite a Chef then. Now, if he was also buff and prepared it all with his Shirt off then that would be a definite Bonus. I supposed they'd have to pay him even extra for that? *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually have three chef and a kitchen manager. They prepare meals for more than just our section of the campus. Our kitchen staff also makes the food for the dementia and assisted living buildings. Two of the three chefs are young, pretty buff and good looking for a shirts off day.

      Delete
    2. Then a Shirt's Off Day would be a definite Bonus?! *winks*

      Delete
    3. I drop the idea into the suggestion box. LOL

      Delete
  15. Well, NOW I understand why that puzzle is so hard (I didn't when I just saw the photo!). But a tricky two-sider would make me crazy! Sounds like they do their best to make things fun, which is nice. Certainly the food sounds fabulous! And I'd love that steel drum event. I've always liked them too and that would be a real treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The steel drum woman is coming back this summer for a luau. Something else to look forward to.

      I found two more two sided puzzles online but I'm trying to table myself out of buying them because the one I got is just as challenging now as when I first got it. Only difference is I know I can accomplish it. I was reading the reviews on the new ones and ran across someone who was complaining that it was too hard and they wanted to return it and get their money back. Cracked me up.

      Delete
  16. I had not thought of it, but the CCC does sound like a cruise ship. The Hawaiian Week actually sounds like fun. I could get into it, I think. I quit doing jigsaws when my eyesight got so bad and forgot to pick it back up after my cataract surgery. That puzzle sounds too difficult for me but good for you finishing it. That place really does sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The year I can't finish that puzzle is the year I'll start worrying about myself. It takes a lot of patience but it's really satisfying when you finish.

      Delete
  17. The food for Hawaii week sounds so yummy! I can imagine myself gaining weight very quickly with someone cooking those kinds of meals for me. Kind of like I do on vacation. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not the only one here who has complained about gaining ten pounds since moving in in October because the food is so good in the fine dining restaurant, Thankfully that's only open four days a week and the cafe food you can do lighter if you want.

      Delete
  18. Even though I don't do jigsaw puzzles, I know I've seen that cat puzzle somewhere. I don't have a clue where, but I'm sure that image has been picked up, varied, and used quite a bit.

    Your mention of enjoying the challenge of a puzzle reminded me of a blogging friend in England. He not only works crossword puzzles, he spent quite a few years creating them. They were so complex that I couldn't even understand his blog post about them! I think he created them for some NY Times-level British papers and such. Amazing. There are some things my mind just can't comprehend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good memory. That's Charlie the Red Cat by Jim Tweedy whose a kind of famous pop art/cartoonist from Louisiana. Back in the '90s the Red cast appeared in a lot of his pop art pieces and posters and paintings. Some of his original pieces sell for over $1,000 today. If you're into jazz the Red Cat is in a very famous piece of his from a New Orleans with the cat and a piano keyboard. Not sure is if he's still producing but posters and limited edition prints of his work are available.

      I used to make word search puzzles. They are fun to do but I can't even work crossword puzzles so I'm impressed that someone can make those and sell them to places like the Times. Creating puzzles is a whole different level of challenge than just working them.

      Delete
  19. This sounds just fantastic... I'm 59 and a Brit, am I allowed to join?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why not. We have people from all over the country living here.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.