Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Big Parties in the Post-Trump, Post-Covid Era

One of my great-nieces on my husband’s side of the family is having a large surprise, 70th  birthday party at a pricey venue for her mom who adored my husband and who was always lots of fun to socialize with. Don used to be Amy’s and her two brother’s babysitter back before I entered the picture, and her parents hosted most of the many family parties after we became a couple. Because of the pandemic and her having some serious heath issues I haven’t seen Amy in nearly two years. We’ve talked on the phone but, of course, that isn’t the same.

 

Don was brought up on a farm where the work never stopped. There were always cows that needed milking, fields to plow, crops to bring in, machinery to fix and fences to mend. There came a point, after the farm was lost to a tornado that his brother needed a part time babysitter and Don was drafted. Never having had much time for fun when he was kid, my husband became the good time uncle, always in for playing games, going to the beach, to county parks or taking those kids for rides in his yellow convertible. And this playful relationship with Amy never stopped. At family parties the teasing and jokes were always flying back and forth and Amy never failed to tell us that she loved us…even to this day she ends all her phone calls with those three little words. She’s one of the easiest people in the world to love back. Always upbeat with a self-depreciating sense of humor even when she’s rattled and being perpetually rattled is one of her most endearing qualities.

 

With the boys, they had the same relationship with Don. They were close and the oldest even lived with my husband at one point in time. At parties the jokes, teasing and swapping stories were always on tap. None of us ever had a cross word or falling out until Trump came along when the oldest and his wife both unfriended me on Facebook. Last I heard he and his wife were also anti-vaccers which made the decision to go to this party doubly difficult.

 

I’ve never had anyone since high school call me ‘stupid’ until Trump came along and these two did it multiple times. Why? Because I (respectfully) pointed out falsehoods when Old Nephew and his wife were posting daily support for Trump’s Big-I-won-the-Election-Lie. For example once they ranted on about how that no one ever investigated voter fraud after the election and I posted an in depth article outlining the 60-something cases that Trump's legal team brought to court all across the country and were dismissed for lack of evidence. I never posted anything without backing it up with a creditable source. But I was the stupid one for not seeing that the media was "making that shit up." Lesson learned. Note to Self: I was stupid for thinking brain-washed people could be deprogrammed with easily proven facts. 

 

I seriously thought about not going to this party and feared walking into it because of the way these two treated me on Facebook before they unfriended me combined with Covid concerns. But our county Covid numbers have been low recently so going or not became more about facing the potential of getting or giving the cold shoulder. Never in my entire life have I been in a situation like this. Finally, I decided to go and just act like the unfriending never happened, be as warm and open in greeting them as I've always been in the past and let THEM set the tone for what happens after. If they avoid me so be it, if they make any kind of remark about politics I plan to smile and say, “We’ll have to agree to disagree” and then walk away. Life is too short to be baited into discord at a family party when there won’t be many opportunities for me to see this side of the family in mass in the future. The graduations, weddings, baby showers are all behind us and only one person is left in the older generation to have a memorial service for.

 

Added After the Party: Old Nephew and his wife must have had the same game plan for running into me as I had for running into them. They saw me before I saw them and they went out of their way to greet and hug me with genuine warmth and friendliness, even invited me to sit at their table (which I didn’t do because I'd already had a place with others) but we stood and talked for probably fifteen minutes catching up on each other’s lives. 

 

They’d both caught Covid and she spent two weeks in the hospital at death’s door and now they tell everyone to get the vaccinated. Scared the crap out of them both to learn the virus was real. At least nine people at the party also had Covid and one of my favorite nieces-by-marriage was at home in quarantine… all of which was scary since it was the first big event I’ve been to in two years and no one was wearing a mask. (Our state dropped that mandate recently.) Everyone was hugging each other because it a huggy-kind of family and we were all so happy to be together again. Germaphobic me could have done without the hugs but I'll breathe easier about them at the end of the week if I'm still feeling well.  

 

Amy’s daughter hired an Elvis impersonator who was super good and he had the crowd dancing and singing and laughing. It was good to have so much fun with old connections and to see the fences that were broken by the Trump train got mended as if by magic.  ©

 

His name is Ron Short and he did an Elvis act for 7-8 years in Hawaii at one of the hotels. Not sure what he was doing in my area but he was good.

45 comments:

  1. Aw...What luck! That you were able to reconcile and be happy together(ish...there's still the Trump thing) again. So many possibilities there for a bad outcome. Well done for going along

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, it could have turned out so differently so I came home happy.

      Delete
  2. Don sounds like a wonderful person. I'll bet his close ties with those kids has impacted their lives in a big way. There's no substitute for spending time with kids. I'm glad you had the chance to go to the party and see family. We're way over due for those types of gatherings. It sure is interesting how anti-vaxers change their opinion after a close call. Not wishing Covid on anyone, but those who have been in denial need to understand the threat it poses. Glad your county's numbers have fallen. As of this week, ours are beginning to fall, too. YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The health care workers here still have to wear masks by mandate but I hope soon they get a break too. But I think Covid is still going to be with us for a long time to come. I did not gloat that this couple finally saw the light about the vaccines and I'm hoping them getting it broke the spell they were under with Trump. I know other relatives were concerned about their rabid support.

      Delete
    2. Yes I thought that change of stance on vaccines interesting... but I guess there was that myth that Covid was fiction going around

      Delete
    3. A lot of people took that myth to their hospital beds.

      Delete
  3. What a tough decision you had to make, on many fronts. I'm glad you had the opportunity to renew your relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been four days and I've got no Covid symptoms but I've got to say that it feels weird not wearing a mask every time I'm outside my door. After two years of being afraid of getting it won't go away over night.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad there was a healing of sorts and you enjoyed the reunion. I too have family members on the Trump train and we just don't go there. There is more to our lifetime relationship than one ridiculous man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad, too, because it wasn't just me this couple put friendships and feelings at risk over Trump. They even told at least one grandchild to unfriend them if they didn't like their rabid support of Trump. The grandchild was also trying to teach her grandparents how to find creditable sources of information online.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you went so that you could see and bond with family, and also relieved that your close relatives have come to their senses on the virus at least. Self-deprecating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you asking what self-depreciating humor is? It's making yourself the butt of a joke, making fun of yourself and your foibles. There nine basic types of humor: 1 physical (slip on a banana peel), 2 self-deprecating, 3 sur-real (Monty Python), 4 wit-word play (George Carlin), 5 improvisational (made up on the spot), 6 topical (Saturday night Live/current events), 7 observational (ability to poke fun at everyday things, 8 Bodily (fart/toilet jokes) and 9 dark humor (depressing undertones).

      Delete
    2. I think maybe she's gently trying to say that in your post you spelled it "self-defecating" which means pooping on yourself. But that would fall under #8. Bodily humor (fart/toilet jokes) so that would be okay too!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for pointing that out in plain English that I have/had a spelling error. Long time readers should know by now that I'm dyslexic and I depend on memory (not sounding out) how to spell stuff. So I appreciate it when someone points something major like this out so I can correct it. LOL LOL LOL

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you decided to go and that it was a good experience for you. Those family situations can be so tough. I have a cousin I've not seen in ages anyway but she's a major conspiracy/election fraud/Covid denier. It makes it very difficult for her brother. There is agreeing to disagree and agreeing to ignore. Both are hard. But this sounds lovely. I'm glad you had the opportunity to be with family -- if the past year has taught us anything, life can be unexpectedly fleeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good outcome considering how hostile and hate filled this couple was before and after the election. Life is too short to have families break up over outside forces.

      Delete
  7. It does feel really weird to be out without a mask anywhere, doesn't it?? I'm so glad you had a fun time. That party sounds great. Social gatherings are so uplifting and even more so since we've been quarantined so long. I hate to say it, but your nephew's wife "got religion" in a difficult but (apparently) necessary way. Glad she survived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough way to get "religion" but she especially was acting very cult-like back when she unfriended me and several others. I'm guessing that finding out that Trump lied about the virus may have made her realize he lied about the election as well.

      The butterflies were out at the venue and it was a beautiful, warm day...just what everyone needed. Not wearing a mask around so many people was scary and still is until I get past the event 10 days.

      Delete
    2. Ahhh, that is SUCH a great venue. We love the butterflies, too.

      Delete
  8. I am glad you went to celebrate with Amy who sounds like she has always been a sweet family member. It was fortunate that you were able to reconcile with the nephew and his wife. Now you have better memories of them to carry forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have lots of good memories that can now float back up to the top when I think of these nephews and nieces by marriage.

      Delete
  9. I'm so happy for you! Fingers crossed on still feeling well in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Our country numbers are really low but there were others there from three other counties and I know know how they're numbers are. Detroit area bothers me I didn't hug those from that part of the state.

      Delete
  10. You definitely showed a lot of character and strength to go to the party and be the truly better person by not bringing up any past incidents or politics.

    Arkansas Patti, above, truly has the best and most brilliant perspective about the whole situation: there has to be more to lifetime relationships or friendships than one ridiculous (and I will add pathetic) man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti is right. We just all need to take a step back and try our best not to hold grudges over politic differences, especial after someone seems to have come out of the darkness so to speak.

      Delete
  11. I've not been to a large social event yet. Your experience gives me hope. I'm happy that you had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful. Everyone expressed how good it was to be able to see smiling faces again and hug and laugh. Still felt a little weird being mask-less but I'm sure we'll all get over that quick enough. I suspect we'll be doing it again next fall when it's time to get 4th booster shot.

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad the In-Laws made some progress in the right direction, too bad it took a COVID near-death experience to make them realize Reality opposed to the Fantasy and Alternate Reality Crazy Train too many boarded. I am seeing some cracks in the resolve of all but the most Radicalized now of the Far Right, the real Lunatic Fringe is beginning to scare even some of the Base, it's too Extreme and most relatively rational people begin to see that it's not a good Hill to Die on, literally. I'm glad it went well, I do Hope you didn't catch The Rona during it, I know how very Careful you've been up to now. That said, it will burn thru all of Society eventually since it's not going away. I can't wait until they authorize more Boosters, after my near death experience with it, being fully vaxxed and boosted, I have NO delusions about how dangerous it is and that it has affected my Health beyond the Recovery, I now am dealing with the Long Haulers stuff, it's miserable and I'm praying, not permanent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just talking to someone who had Covid months ago and she's getting strange minor symptoms that her doctor feels are related to her Covid. He's running other tests to rule stuff out but I guess this isn't a virus that we can throw off easily.

      I do hope my party experience with a couple of people who were truly part of the Lunatic Fringe is a sign that sanity is politics is flexing back again.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad it ended up so well. I've got a post coming on the same subject. It hurts to be estranged from important people in my life.

      Delete
    3. It does hurt and it's sad, but now all the craziness of the past the put a strain on the relationships seems to be gone.

      Delete
  13. You are very brave to go and to be maskless! I'm happy it turned out well and the "lunatics" stepped it down a notch. I'd probably continue my grudge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about a 100 people were there but no one had a mask on. I had one with me just in case. Even in the lobby area of the venue I'm bidding a 1,000 people were milling around and maybe 5% (?) were masked.

      I don't hold grudged but I did have on that I held onto for 4-5 years before I found forgiveness. Grudge hurt us more than the person we're holding them against.

      Delete
  14. Life and times now days are hard but we some how cope and adjust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's such a good thing that we can cope and adjust, isn't' it.

      Delete
  15. Don sounds so much like Rick to me. I'm glad it all worked out. I'm doing the same thing on Saturday. Dreading it big time. I keep saying, smile, bite tongue, and move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought our husband's have/had a lot in common personality wise.

      I hope hope you come away from your party with the same good feelings I did. But I won't kid you, it's tough getting over that fear of the virus in a unmasked place.

      Delete
  16. So happy to read that you did go to the party, Jean. And also to read that the Anti-vaxxers have reversed their stance, and now are preaching for vaccines. It’s too bad they had to go through what they did, but at least they lived to tell the tale and to urge others to do the common-sense thing.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting sick enough to be on death's door is a tough wake up call to answer, isn't it.

      Delete
  17. Dear Jean, thank you so much for sharing this story. It is an example of a newsletter I read today about binary thinking. I do it and most people do--the us and them that is our culture now. But you and this couple stepped into Oneness by finding your love for one another and the wholeness of a relationship. That's inspiring to me. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm truly honor that you find inspiration in my experience. You are my favorite x-nun.

      Delete
  18. I'm glad you went, and glad you had a good time. I couldn't help thinking about my sole remaining aunt. We disagree on almost everything -- politics, religion, how to make a proper meatloaf -- but I love her to pieces and am hoping beyond hope I can find a way to visit her this spring. Heck, if I cut myself off from everyone I disagreed with in one way or another, I'd be pretty lonely. But no one is going to get me to change my mind on a proper meatloaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is disagreeing with others and being convinced that only your opinion counts. We have good friends for over 50 years who are on the opposite side of the political spectrum and we can debate and enjoy the thrill of doing so. Like I'm sure we can still be friends when I tell you I hate ALL meatloaf no matter who makes it.

      Delete
    2. This is where I could go all obnoxious and say, "But you've never had MY meatloaf!" But I won't. We can share a piece of that cherry pie instead.

      Delete
    3. I would try a bite of your meatloaf but I know the pie would win out in a taste contest.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.