Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, August 20, 2022

We Won’t Die of Boredom - Baseball and the Sistine Chapel

 

I’ve known for a long time that if anyone is bored here at the continuum care complex it’s their own fault. They throw out a bunch activities and we pick and choose whatever suits us. These things are always on our weekly calendars: Pilates, spiritual care, mahjong, strength training, cardio boxing, cardio drumming, the walking club, two socials/happy hours, Faith Fellowship, Morning Coffee Hour, movie night, a Grief Support Group, Euchre, Cribbage, mexican train dominoes, line dancing, tai chi, Caregivers Support Group, and Coffee with the Chaplin's plus Bridge which meets twice a week and sometimes more often. Cutthroat bridge is a serious endeavor around here. Out of all that above stuff I’ve narrowed down my participation to mahjong, the social hours and tai chi. Then there is lunch and dinner to fit into our schedules if we plan to eat on campus.

Monthly offerings is a different boxes of goodies and I lap them all up: a birthday party with live music, a lecture (usually given by a college professor or a book author), a residents dialogue with the CEO, a book club and an off campus outing. And starting in September the new creative writing club. Not every month but often enough there’s a crafting for charity day, a religious book club and opening season viewing parties for football, basketball and baseball. New on our calendar right now are two motor coach day-long trips. Michiganders will know what Turkeyville is and how popular going to Amish country in Indiana is. I’ve been there done these trips with my old Red Hat Society group, so I don't think I'll sign up.

I did signed up for one of the off campus baseball games. This will be only my second time seeing a live base game and the first time my husband’s nephew was playing and Don got hit in the head with a baseball. The home team we will be supporting is in the Midwest Minor League, a High-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers---whatever that means. If you were reading my blog last summer you know I decided to teach myself about baseball and I’ve done that. I’ve watched all the Tiger games this season and now I understand how and why my dad could be catnapping but if we touched the dials on the TV set he’d wake up and tell us not to mess with his game. There is something about the drone of the game that has the power to put me asleep but the minute the fans get loud I wake up for the replays. Best game ever for those of us who want to multi-task. The Tigers aren’t doing so good this season but I’m in Tiger country and one of you wise blogger friends told me to pick a team that’s popular where I live to follow so I’d find more people to talk baseball with. And that advice has worked out well.

This week our Life Enrichment Director took a bus load of us downtown to see the Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel exhibit---doesn’t she have a fun job? The exhibit was awesome, worth the $15 price of admission to anyone, like me, who hasn’t seen the real thing. It’s advertised as “a life-sized up close, never-before seen perspective of the genius masterpieces." A few people who'd been to Rome and saw the Sistine Chapel were on our bus and said this was just as powerful because we could get right up close enough to count eye lashes and to read the placard descriptions of each panel without being shoulder to shoulder with strangers from around the world.

In art history class we spent a lot of time studying the life of Michelangelo and his sculptures, paintings and inventions so I wasn't a total doofus about what we'd be seeing. It goes without saying that he understood the human body (from all those middle of the night corpses he carved up) and its said that he was so driven with his work that he'd often go weeks without changing his clothes. He was quite the opposite in terms of charm and social graces as his two biggest rivals, Leonardo deVinci and Raphael were known for, but he genius was so obvious, even back in his own time, that it didn't keep Michelangelo from getting commissions.

What surprised me about the exhibit? How many, many penises were in full view considering that after Michelangelo's death an artist was hired to cover up them up. Nothing in this display or its videos mentioned the hot controversy over all of Michelangelo's full frontal nudes on the Sistine Chapel ceiling or the artist who people called the 'breeches maker' for covering up genitals with fig-leafs and loincloths. Daniele da Volterra worked less than a year covering up penises before the chapel was needed to elect a new Pope and the scaffolding was never put back up again. Apparently the new Pope wasn't quite as offended by Michelangelo's full frontal nudes as puritanical popes Paul IV and Pius IV were. They're the ones who oversaw the most infamous commission in art history.

We have the best Life Enrichment Director on the face of the earth and if I was giving tips out to people looking for a continuum care complex or senior living village I’d say to ask to see a few months worth of the activities planned. This summer, in addition to the above she’s brought horses in from a therapy riding stable and dogs in from the Paws for a Cause organization and she sat in a dunking cage and let residents throw balls at a target to try to get her dropped into the water while we drank ‘mocktails.’ And tomorrow, I’ll be on another off campus adventure---to see a circle theater production of On Golden Pond. ©

video of exhibit


30 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it has turned out how you hoped it would!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some things that were promised and not delivered. We all thought we'd have some transportation but the management changed their minds on that and we're still working though the food service issues, but at least it really tastes great.

      Delete
  2. What a varied and incredible list of activities you can choose from! I would love to do many of those things. I've been to the Sistine Chapel many times and although it's impressive, you can't actually see much. No penises either--too far away. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of us wore ourselves out trying out all there is to offer here, before cutting to the chase of what really loved.

      The photos I've seen of the chapel were taken too far away to see detail but you can't miss it when you're three feet away.

      Delete
  3. They sure do offer a wide variety of things to do! I'm still at the phase of my life where I don't want much written on the calendar. Love checking the calendar out the night before and voila! Nothing written in stone. She chooses good things and then you start something NEW ... The Writing Club. Can't wait til that starts up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. So far I only know of one other person interested in the club. It might be a bust, but time will tell. The other guy's experience is pretty much the same as mine---a life long journey keeper, wants to learn poetry and does short essays.

      Delete
  4. The number of activities available to you and the other residents at your CCC is impressive. I hope they're paying the Activity Director well, because she's sure doing a good job. That type of job would stress me out to the max, because I tend to be a people pleaser. Nobody compares with Michelangelo, and it's wonderful that so many people will have access to the exhibit. Somewhere, I read that the paintings in the Sistine Chapel cover over 5,000 square feet. Amazing.

    Hope you enjoy On Golden Pond. I liked the movie and haven't watched it in years. So bittersweet. No doubt, it would affect me differently, now that I'm older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Life Enrichment Director covers the entire campus, meaning she also has programs for the memory care and assisted living buildings. Once in a great while she'll have the assisted living and independent living people come to the park for a join activity like when the horses and dogs were here and when they brought in the dunking tank. That tank was fun. Even the CEO got in it.

      I have a feeling I'm not going to like On Golden Pond. I've seen the movie twice and in general I don't enjoy old people love stories.

      Delete
  5. I laughed at this: "Best game ever for those of us who want to multi-task." I'll often listen to Astros baseball when I'm at work. More often than not, the conversation between the play by play guy and the color commentator is as interesting as the game itself. It requires little direct attention, and I'm not enough of a fan to really care about wins and losses, so it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how listening to baseball and doing the kind of work you do would be compatible. I love the after game interviews with the coach and I love the player interview, too. To me, it's part of the game itself. I don't care about the score as much as having good plays so close they have to review the tapes to see if someone is really out or not.

      Delete
  6. No way anyone could be bored there--- overstimulated maybe. There truly is something for everyone. Glad you have a minor league team to watch. I use to go to Vero in Florida to watch the Dodger's minor league. They are quite entertaining.
    That Sistine Chapel exhibit sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hiding out in my apartment today because I suddenly felt over scheduled and needed a day off from seeing people. The down side of that is I have to cook but that won't kill me. So yes, over-stimulation can be a problem if you let it.

      Delete
  7. Your hard work and research really paid off for you, Jean. You chose a great place to live. All those opportunities for recreation are terrific. Your home will increase your longevity and quality of life, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's what all the research says about older people keeping busy and engaged in learning new things, doesn't it. I'm 95% happy with my choice. The 5% has to do with negative things you'd get in any multi-living place. Like the fire department is going to be inspecting every room in our apartments to test the sprinkler system next week and when they do things like clean windows, we can't control the day. But that 5% I lost with my single family home is not worth the trade off of living in a well planned community with lots of options.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A well planned Community with lots of options makes growing Older a lot of Fun, I think you chose an excellent Forever Home Jean. So much to do all of the time is worth the price of admission when you think of how expensive keeping entertained would be outside of that Community and probably be less affordable or readily available for Retirees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, and most of it is only 50 feet from my front door to the main building.

      Delete
    2. I enjoy your blog, but I especially like when you give the deets about the CCC. Sounds like a great place. I'm not sure the ones in our area offer as many options. Sure hope we can find a place like yours. In the meantime, I'm appreciating everything you share.

      Delete
    3. You might be surprised. There's a real competition for senior dollars right now and senior living places are upgrading their food an entertainment offerings. At least here where they've built 3-4 places like this in the area over the past two years.

      Delete
  10. So cool! You have so many opportunities to do just about anything anyone could want. I had no idea of all that history of Michelangelo. We did a Vatican tour that included the Sistine Chapel and it started really early. She took us through the Sistine Chapel when there were very few people there, but we walked through it on our way back and it was JAMMED. The big downside to me was having to stand looking up all that time...hard on the neck. LOL.

    I love live theater...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not experienced much live theater but others seem of love it. I did go to a production out in Saugatuck that was really fun but I was with my niece which always adds to the enjoyment level where tomorrow I'll going with three others from here, two of whom I don't know well very well.

      Delete
  11. Boredom, what is that, I don't get bored, sounds like lots to do there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get bored from time to time with the same old same old to look forward to, not so much here but in general before moving here.

      Delete
  12. I'm jealous of all the activities you have available to you. I like your comment that if anyone dare say she is bored, it's her own fault. I like baseball, but rarely watch a game anymore. It makes for great background noise, though, while I do other things, like clean house. I'd like to see that Sistine Chapel exhibit. This is the first I've heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Chapel exhibit is crossing the country. When I was googling it to write this post I was a schedule of cities. It's worth seeing.

      That's what I like about baseball, the background noise and ques when to come back to the screen and watch.

      Delete
  13. I wonder if parts of the ceiling were restored and the penises reinstated over time. I recently read about a newly discovered Cupid in a famous Vermeer painting that was found in restoration. Who knows? I need to check and see how long that exhibit is there -- I'd love that one. If I'm back in the south I might have to skip over and check it out. I think I"d love her job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it leaves here Sept. 11th-ish and then goes to Detroit. Their site says 'details on when it will be in Detroit coming soon.' Easy to google. Just google "Sistine Chapel traveling exhibit" then choose a city.

      That's really interesting about the angel in Vermeer's painting. I suppose there is no way of knowing whether he himself painted it out or someone else did in another restoration long ago. If he did it, is it really right to restore it back in? Artistically, it looks better without the angel. I know I have changed paintings a couple of years after thinking they was finished. https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2021/08/vermeer-cupid-painting/

      Delete
  14. Sounds like a wonderful tour. I went to Rome with my daughter (luckily, right before Covid!) and you are right that you can't see everything close up. So the exhibit would be fascinating. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sistine exhibit sounds interesting. You surely have plenty of activities to keep you from being bored. Glad you can enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting. The details up close are hard to wrap your head around...how a painter could visualize painting on a domed ceiling for viewers so many stories down on the floor to look up at. He was a true artist/genesis.

      Delete
  16. Hi! I've been away and busy, but I'm back and catching up with your posts. Love this one -- so much to do at your new place! Wow. I'd be signing up for stuff left and right. It all sounds interesting and fun. And what a great way to meet and make friends. Go Tigers! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.