Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Slumber Parties, Pedicures and Widows


Back when I was teenager in the ‘50s Slumber Parties were a common teenager activity at my school and presumably in the greater realm of the pop culture of the era. If you’re too young to know what a Slumber Party was, today they go by the names Sleepovers, Sweet Dreams Parties and Sleepover Glamping Parties. And judging by the party planner websites these modern day parties are a lot fancier than the ones of my youth. Did you know you can rent white party tents for your back yard then fill them with individual pup tents with matching bedding for the little princesses in your household? (I’m assuming based on what I saw on these website, Sleepovers are not something the opposite sex is engaged in hosting for their guy friends.) The party planners can even provide you with professionals to teach your preteens and teens all about make up. They also set up tables for catered food and fill up swag bags for the little guests to take home. 

Back when I was going to Slumber Parties we just showed up with our sleeping bags and  pajamas or nightgowns but prepared to stay up all night. We’d make Chef Boyardee pizzas from a box, pop popcorn or heap ice cream up for banana splits. We’d give each other pedicures and manicures or we’d wash and set each other’s hair. We might even puck a few uni-brows. If we were lucky, a few boys would come by and the hosting parents wouldn’t catch us sneaking out to the backyard to play a little kissy-face. Even better was when the girl had an older brother like I did. That always got you a better turn out for your party. Jerry was on the football team so he was a major draw, even though he had a steady girlfriend from out of town. Some girls at my school probably though she was a mythical girlfriend and some probably though they could charm their way past the absent girlfriend’s claim. But usually my mom made sure my brother was otherwise occupied when I had my Slumber Party.

What made me think about the Slumber Parties of my youth was the fact that I got a pedicure today, only the sixth professional pedicure in my life. I have a feeling a person either loves getting their fingers and toes pampered or they don’t. I’m in the latter category. I don’t like sitting that long and I really don’t like paying money for some thing I could do for myself before I got too old to be able to reach my toes without throwing my leg and hips bones out of alignment. I still do my own finger nails---only had two professional manicures in my life---and I get compliments on them, especially if I take the time to do the French style manicures. One of the professional manicures never made it home before one nail was ruined and I removed the rest of the polish when I got there. 

I thought about trying to organize a glam party here at the continuum care campus so we could do each others toes, but I don’t hear anyone complaining about getting them done professionally the way I grumbler about the indignity of someone other than a male in the heat of passion playing with their toes. Quite the opposite. The women here seem to enjoy going to nail and spa salons. Most of them go once a month. I’ve gone six times in ten years and most of them before an annual appointment with the dermatologist or foot doctor. I was never a girly-girly I guess. Or I’m just a cheap-skate.

And have I complained enough about the cost at FULL VOLUME yet? I’m still not over the sticker shock of paying up to $50 plus tips. I’ve paid $35, $40 twice, $42 and $50 twice plus tips. If the technicians get half of that I suppose that would be a fair amount for an hour’s work for a job requiring very little training. The last place I went was the cheapest place (for the basic, express) and it was mind-blowingly big with its sixteen pedicure chairs, twelve nail stations and eight drying chairs and most of them were in use. But my appointment was at 11:30 so I don’t know how many of the other women in there were on a lunch hour. The only person working in the whole place who spoke English was the cashier, greeter and person answering the phone. He also spoke what ever language it is that they speak in the Philippines. This is the place I will go in the future because not only is it the cheapest, its also the closest but I got the best pedicure there.

The only English speaking pedicurist ever had started out by telling me one of her clients was late for her appointment which is why she was late getting me in for mine. According to the pedicurist, who knew the woman’s family, the client was widow who had become a recluse widow and has done nothing but drink beer and get drunk in the year since her husband died. “Her family is worried.” Blah, blah, blah. Ten years into my widowhood and am I losing my ability to sympathize? At lunch here at the CCC a widow was complaining because no one at the Widow’s Support Group hugged her! This was last year when everyone was jumpy about getting Covid and I offered that as a possible reason why. And I added that everyone has different ideas of what they need in the way of support. “Well, I needed hugs,” she said, “and no one gave me one!” Several women then got up from the table and hugged her and she burst out crying and left. After she was gone, another woman said, “She just went to that group too early. She wasn’t ready for it yet.” I agreed. But I should start reading my blog from the beginning and see what kind of widow I was back at the beginning of the process, in a effort to refill my empathy and sympathy wells. As the years go by we humans---at least most of us---are equipped with a wonderful gift for minimizing the pain we've gone through and only remember with perfect clarity the good times.

Until Next Wednesday….  ©

 *The photo at the top is from the slumber party in the movie Grease which was set in the '50. And the photos below were napped off party websites that offer sleepover rentals. I just can't imagine my parents ever going to these extremes for little girls or teen parties.



 


38 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I haven't thought about slumber parties for years! I remember the goal was to try to stay awake all night long. I also remember making those Chef Boyardee pizzas. (Does anyone still use those boxed mixes?)
    One thing I know for sure, my parents never would have spent big bucks on renting special tents and gear for a sleepover. Times have changed.

    You're right about how most of us process pain. With time and some effort, we carry on with life and try to focus on the good. I'm glad we're wired that way.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, they still sell the Chef Boyardee pizza kit. It's nice that somethings never change.Found them for sell online when I was trying to remember how to spell them. I hadn't thought of them in year though.

      When I saw the photos of sleepover gear today I was flabbergasted. What a standard to set for young kids. No wonder they want weddings that break the bank.

      Delete
  2. The slumber parties of my youth were similar to yours (although we did once try to levitate someone) and I would take those over the photos of the glam ones any day. We were about actual enjoyment, not some kind of contest about which party was more posh.

    I don't enjoy pedicures at all, but I love my feet post-pedicure. I have probably had 10 or so in my life, mostly prior to some dress up event for work. I need to get them now, though, due to vision, arthritis and hand strength issues. The way I look at it is that I've had so few that I can justify the cost.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get why parents would spend so much money on a teen party. And I really don't get the swag bags of gifts for people attending parties to take home. Has that become a 'thing'? I think of swag bag as something given out at fashion shows of product samples companies, but I did hear of one bride who had them at a shower.

      I'm at that point that I have to look at professional pedicures as a necessity now since I really can't do a decent job on my own anymore. It's a hard transition. i don't care about the polish, but I have to prevent ingrown toenails.

      Delete
  3. That slumber party set up is hilarious. I only had a few when I was a kid, and my kids had many -- but these must be for movie star kids? HA HA....and I am right there with you about the pedicures and manicures... honestly, they seem like such a waste of time. Life is too short! (Although, I , too, may have to start having pedicures, for the same reason.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to rent that gear all over the nation, from what I can see online. The little pup tents are cute without all the balloons but you'd miss half the fun of a Slumber Party if you separate the guesses like that.

      Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like getting pedicure. But like haircuts I'm going to have to start treating it like a regular part of maintenance.

      Delete
  4. Oh, yuck. I cannot stand to have anyone--ANYONE--touch my feet. And I hate summer because it is the Season Of Feet. Everyone's feet are bared, and I can't escape them.

    All this falderal of slumber parties is ridiculous, and I bet it became such a production because of Pinterest and social media. I had slumber parties and sleepovers galore, and all anyone brought was a pillow and a sleeping bag or blanket. My brother used to have sleep-outs: he and his buddies would bunk in the garage and sleep on lounge chairs (if they slept).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you remind me, I think the boy's version of a sleep-over was camping in at a lake or campground overnight with the parents in a near-by campsite.

      I'm not crazy about toe-less shoes...too prone to accidents.

      Delete
  5. I have never had a pedicure or a manicure in my whole life. I have always been a nail-biter and would have been too embarrassed to show my nails to a professional.
    I don't think those glam sleepovers are the norm. Just for people with too much money to burn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right about those glam sleepovers...still they have to be popular enough for companies to invest in the rentals. Still shocks me though.

      Delete
  6. Slumber parties! Oh there's something I haven't thought about in decades. I don't do professional pedicures or manicures. I suppose eventually I'll have to, my hands shake, but not yet. As for widow groups, I'd think that everyone deals with grief differently and that you'd find yourselves at different stages along the path to acceptance. Could be awkward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not go to any kind of grief support unless you all my blog community my support..and it was! My brother went once and said he couldn't stand all the crying women, so he would agree with your assessment that they could e awkward. LOL

      Delete
  7. Wow, I'd should have guessed that someone would find a way to monetize slumber parties...but I'm still kinda shocked.

    I used to hate people fussing over/pampering me...my Dutch Calvinist upbringing, I guess...but luckily I have gotten over that. Bring on ALL the pedicures, facials, manicures and massages!

    I'm not the right person for new widows to turn to...my situation was so unusual (at least I hope so) and I didn't have much time to explore my emotions or feel sorry for myself and my situation - I had to get right to work to clean up my late husband's messes (and discover even more messes!). And thus The Widow Badass was born...LOL!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't connect with your blog when you invent the Widow Badass but think we both took our support with the online community. To me that's even better because, knowing you'll never see these people in person, makes it easier to share your darkest secrets. At least for me it was.

      Delete
  8. I loved spending the night elsewhere! So many happy memories .. and I'm still email friends with two of my high school buddies. I love pedicures and have one about every 6-8 weeks. My kidlet one time and professional the next. I can't reach or see well enough! Yesterday, I got my first facial! A full body experience as when some techniques were happening (gel mask dry, collagen application seeping in) I got a neck and shoulder massage and then a hand and arm massage followed by weighted and warmed mitts. Fresh steam aimed at my face in the beginning. She even found a million blackheads to remove. Who knew at 71 you'd still get them? I hope to step up my skin care. And treat myself to another since I no longer go on vacations, this will be my spa-cation.

    I tried group grief counseling but it just wasn't for me. Some had been attending for over FIVE YEARS and still crying in public. I just fumbled my own way through (still).

    JB, AKA the Awkward Widow (forgot I had my computer tuned up and I need to use the correct Google account)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised you love all that stuff. You're a girlie girl. I've be interested in what the stream on your face treatment is called. I have blackheads and I'd love to step up my skin care as well.

      Delete
  9. >most of them before an annual appointment with the dermatologist or foot doctor

    Perhaps I'm dense.... never had a pedicure and only one manicure (did not like the experience)... but why the pedicure before a medical appointment? I would think the docs would want to see the status of unadorned nails. They probably would appreciate well washed feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My foot doctor is looking at bone structure, not my nail beds and my dermatologist is looking for moles. My self-pedicure the nails are done just to keep my nails from catching on the sheets. I can't do much more than that on my own and they don't look great.

      Delete
  10. I feel that many parents now days go overboard with children's parties which doesn't make them better parties just more expensive and can lead to entitled children which is not doing the children any good in the long run. I had many sleepovers when I was a child and such fun was had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right and I have to wonder if some of the girls having the over-the-weddings these days were programmed to have them by parents who through them expensive parties as they were growing up.

      Delete
  11. Those adult-controlled slumber parties sound ghastly to me. The whole point of a slumber party was that one girl provided the space, the others showed up, and the parents stayed out of the way. But my goodness -- that Chef Boyardee pizza was great! I still have the round pizza pan that we used during those years, but I'd forgotten its connection to the slumber parties.

    I've never had a manicure or pedicure, and can't imagine doing do. For one thing, they wouldn't fit into my budget. Of course, I don't need anyone filing my nails, since 80 grit sandpaper does a fine job -- and polish wouldn't have a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! Manicures and the crafts I do don't mix well with manicures. We've been talking about Chef Boyardee so much in this threat I'm temped to try one again.

      Delete
    2. —Cheerful Monk

      Delete
  12. I’m afraid I’ve never had a manicure or pedicure and never had a slumber party like the ones you describe. My sister and I did sleep over at a friend’s house once, but we didn’t stay up late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staying up all night was the goal but none us ever made it past the wee hours in the morning.

      Delete
    2. Woe to the person who fell asleep first. I remember some of my girlfriends trying a trick they read about: put the sleeping person's hand in warm water to see if you could them to pee. Girls can be mean. :-)

      Delete
    3. That made me laugh out loud. We tried that too. Wonder how we all found out about that without Ticktock or Facebook.

      Delete
  13. Our slumber parties were like yours, but they were mostly in Jr. High or HS. These days, it seems parents are having kids do sleepovers in elementary school. We stopped by to see our grandson on his birthday last year and they were setting up this type of rental party. We were gob smacked. But one thing we've noticed in that the peer pressure has ramped up from our youth. If one parent does some super creative ("new") type of party, the next kid has to have something equal or better. Our other DIL insisted on not getting into the dance, but that grandson did have a live reptile party when he was about 5. Frankly, it's another reason I'm glad my kids are grown. LOL.

    I don't get many pedicures, but I admit to enjoying the foot and calf massage. But like you, I'm too cheap to do it often. And I'm never sure if I'll get a good person because I always just walk in to one of the nail salons randomly. The only professional manicure I remember was when I got married. Nail polish makes my brittle nails break and split for weeks after I remove it. Also, I have my grandma's hands, and they were made for work not beauty. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really sad about the fancy, rental parties for such young kids being a trend now.

      My biggest worry about getting pedicures besides the cost is the possibility of getting infections.

      Delete
  14. Only time I got a pedicure and manicure was for a trip to Hawaii 8 years ago. Nails looked gorgeous but I removed it all as soon as I returned. It just wasn't 'me'. Got my first and only spray on tan for that trip as well. Lol

    My one and only slumber party at a friend's house included the pizza, sleeping bags and giggling girls in a basement. I was so shy that the knot in my stomach resulted in puking my pizza out in front of everyone. Give me the boys' version of a slumber party any day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have bad nails and do not ever want polish on them -- toes or fingers (though they'd look better.) That said, give me a massage therapist and an hour to do my feet and I'm in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it no one sold you on the idea that if you wear polish it keeps you from biting your nails? Oops. I read your comment as you bite your nails. I have good nails except for one that has been split for almost 10 years now. I have to keep a patch on it for it to look half way good and I often put a flower nail decal over the patch.

      Delete
  16. I never went to Slumber Parties and never threw one, but my Daughter did and the Granddaughter usually spends the Night at Gay Timmy's, his Grandparents Adore her and have a spare Room that their other Grandkids they're not Raising often use when they visit. But, each sleepover is without a whole bunch of other people since they both are part of the Anti-Social Social Club. *LOL* She's over there Tonight in fact and they watch Movies and Gossip all Night long apparently. He cooks for her and often does her Hair and Make-Up. She sometimes brings over Girl Clothes for him to try on, he never goes out in Drag in Public like her Brother has, but, they have Fun on a Private level to do Runway Modeling. *Smiles* As for Pedis, I miss those, with now being an Insulin Diabetic, it's too risky and only a Podiatrist should mess with my Feet and of coarse they don't do Salon stuff... I even Blogged about it, but, hasn't Published yet. The Manis take too much Maintenance and Yes, are crazy expensive. Here in Arizona the Vietnamese have cornered the Market on Nail Salons, they own them all. My Ex-DIL was Cambodian and she said her people cornered the Market on Asian Grocers and own all of them in the Valley. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how the Asian communities have cornered the market on nail salons or maybe they were the ones who introduced them to us in the first place? Like filling a niche we American's didn't know we needed filling. A while back, a place was raided by the police because the girls they employed were vertically kept locked up at night in the basement like slaves and were brought into the country illegally.

      Delete
    2. Sadly Human Trafficking is rampant and more profitable than Trafficking Drugs, which you can only Sell once, a Human they can Sell over and over again.

      Delete
  17. I'm surprised that no one mentioned bringing a Ouija board to a slumber party. In my uptight Protestant town, one of us had to sneak in a Ouija board because our parents thought they were akin to an invitation to the devil to walk among us. My most enduring memory of a slumber party was when I got up at night and a roach flew through the air and landed on the hem of my nightgown and crawled up inside it. (We lived in the subtropical Port Arthur-Beaumont area in Texas and roaches the size of small pets were a constant problem.) I tried so hard not to scream or make a fuss, as if it was my fault and I had to hide the fact that had happened. Spiders, lizards, mosquitoes: none of those bothered me, but roaches did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a Ouija board when I was a kid but I don't remember ever using it at a Slumber Party. I lived in a very strict Dutch Reform area where just about everything fun was forbidden, or it seemed that way.

      One time we got some flowers in from Mexican that some giant sized roaches hooked a ride on and I screamed. Those sucker could fly too! I couldn't live with in an area where roaches are common.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.