Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Covid on Campus, Netflix's 'The 100' vs Hallmark

 

Well, it’s started. Covid is on our campus and is rearranging our lives. First it was two people then it spread to four and then it took the entire bridge club out of action and our Life Enrichment Director started canceling stuff hand over fist. Those with symptoms have to quarantine themselves in their apartments until they get a negative Covid test. Those who were exposed to someone with symptoms must get tested every day for five days and are asked to wear masks during those five days of waiting to see if they come down with Covid. Our dining room is like a ghost town because so many people are getting take-outs.

They had a vaccination clinic on campus yesterday for anyone who still hadn’t gotten the latest Covid and flu vaccines and it was well attended, I heard. I got my shots last month but it was interesting at the dinner table last night listening to a woman who took one look at the application for the clinic shots and decided not to get them because, “They want to know too much about us!” I saw the application in our daily email and it was the standard questions everyone everywhere will ask so they can bill your Medicare and/or private insurance company. And while several people including her husband tried to tell her that, she flatly refused believe it. So I mentally checked her off the list of people I’ll be sitting next to at book club, dinner, parties or lectures until flu and Covid season is over. I joked that I wish the powers that be should make us all wear our vaccination cards around our necks so we'd know who skips getting them, and someone else took that idea to higher level and added that they could color code them like the state does with are car license tabs.

I also checked off the list sitting near known Trump supporters. As our most vocal Trumpette said this week, “Covid is just a bad cold with a new name!” I beg your pardon, Dumbass, colds didn’t killed millions of people worldwide at the beginning of the pandemic. Oh, the things I would like to say and don’t. She tells everyone she’s never had Covid, been sick with a bad cold but go over it. “It was nothing.” I did have the guts to call her a Spreader, though, after she said she'd never been tested for Covid. “If you’ve never been tested then you don’t know if you had it or not. That makes you a Spreader.” I learned those lines from my niece and I was proud I had the guts to use it. 

This year, people have been reporting how easy Covid was to catch but that their symptoms are cold-like. That’s no excuse for not getting the vaccines. It’s because of the vaccines that Covid variations are getting weaker and/or our immune systems are getting stronger. One couple here, though, was an exception. They’ve been sick and off the grid for five whole weeks. They’d been tested many times over that time frame for Covid and various other viruses but nothing has shown up. They described their symptoms as “Sleeping Beauty Meets Apathy.” All they wanted to do is sleep, and had no energy or desire to fight the fog in their heads. Listening to them at dinner I started worrying about myself because lately I’ve been falling asleep every time I sit in my La-Z-Boy. When I voiced this out loud someone laughed and told me that’s just old age catching up with me.

We’re not under a mask requirement to be in public areas. Yet. But before the winter is over I’ll bet we will see its return. Visitors aren’t being logged in for contact tracing either which I’m happy about not having to do every time I visit my brother. But I will gladly comply if it means the Activities Calendar doesn’t keep getting events crossed off. This morning the monthly birthday party bit the dust and I always enjoy the musical entertainment at those. Even Mahjong got canceled because the woman who taught us all how to play also plays bridge and is still in the "spreader phase" of Covid.

Between Covid taking away my fun stuff, my frustrations with Google and Bloggers, the clown show going on in our House of Representatives, two terrible wars in the world and now another mass shooting spree, I finally resorted to doing what I usually do in situations when I feel helpless. I found myself a post-apocalyptic Netflix series to watch. I know, it doesn’t make sense that watching or reading about how people survive (or not) in a post-apocalyptic world somehow helps me to put things in prospective. But it does. My problems get smaller by comparison and they remind me that it’s the strong that survives, the ones who don’t give up. I got this way because both my parents were good at pointing out, "It could be worse" when I did stuff like skin a knee. "you've still go a leg."

In the past week and a half I’ve binge-watched the first three seasons of The 100. It's about a group of 100 teenagers from a detention center who were born, raised and lived on The Ark, a space station built after a nuclear disaster that fried our planet. The Ark is dying and the teens were sent down to see if earth is inhabitable. Of course, it is and they soon find out there are pockets of societies who are descendants of people who never left earth. Here in real time there are so many bat-crazy things going on but at least I can go to bed at night and not have to worry about people living in a domed city who’d hunt me down, drain my blood then give me to the Cave Reapers to finish me off. You can't get that kind of reassurance watching those Christmas Romance movies on Hallmark. 

Yes, it's that time of year again and one day like magic a switch will get flipped in my head---soon I predict---and I'll be trading the post-apocalyptic junk in for the promise of everlasting love. Three of Hallmark movies doesn't make a binge but that's my score as of right now and already I see a pattern emerging of overworked mom's learning how to knit. That's product placement at work but no one does product placement better than Hallmark. Last night's movie revealed a brother and sister separated by adoption 50 years ago had both written, never send but kept Christmas cards they wrote every year to the other one. That script was a shoe-in to sell to Hallmark. Don't you just love how cleaver some people can be? Hallmark wants a Christmas card in every movie, I've give them 100!

Until Next Wednesday. ©

 

 

 

39 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Covid is messing things up. But I'm glad you've been vaccinated. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The swift actions of management did the trick. We have no new cases of Covid and those who had it got over it much quicker than in seasons past. I"m still kind of shocked at how the entire bridge club came down with it at the same time. Just goes to show how contagious viruses can be.

      Delete
  2. Jean Paul Sartre was right: Hell really IS other people.

    Stay as safe as you can, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about the Covid outbreak but glad your place is getting it under control. Good you have been vaccinated! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. I used my knuckles to push elevator buttons, and my elbow to push doors open. I use the hand cleaner stations and wash my hands the minute I get home. I tried to buy masks this week but the store was out but when I get more I'll start wearing them off campus.

      Delete
  4. I was out shopping yesterday and I saw many people (and store staff) masking up again, after rarely seeing this in the warmer weather. I think I will join them. I haven't had so much as a sniffle since the mask mandates of spring 2020, and I'd like to keep it that way! Covid is on the rise again here on the island. I'm waiting for my invitation email to get my next booster - the government makes sure the highest risk populations get the shot first so I'm down the line a bit. But next year I'll be 65 so that will change.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, with all the outdoor exercise you get I'll bet you have very healthy lungs. Still pays to be careful when out in public.

      Delete
  5. Great post. I laughed out loud at "You can't get that kind of reassurance watching those Christmas Romance movies on Hallmark." And I love the "Like a Good Neighbor Stay Over There". I've been wondering how communal living places are doing with Covid this season. I am still enraged by those in denial or disinterest or just stupidity about this deadly virus. Their collective self-centered refusal to believe in science has contributed to the spread and misery, if not death, of so many. End of rant. I'm going back to laughing at your great humor lines. Also gotta get going on my Hallmark movie list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always impressed by and (jealous of) people who make those cleaver memes. I'm right with you on that rant.

      I've finally making the switch away from 'The 100', not entirely free but I started watching 'The Light we Cannon See' last night as a bridge between Hallmark and the end of the world stuff.

      Delete
  6. Love “Like a good neighbor…”
    You’ve reminded me to try again for my vaccines. It seems so difficult here….Stay well! Olivia in the PNW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, the drug stores are getting a few in every day but often not enough to fill their appointments. it took me three times to finally connect not get canceled for lack of supplies. Judging by my little community it's going to be easy to catch this year so important to get the booster.

      Delete
  7. Kudos to you, Jean, for your "spreader" retort to the lady who said it was just a bad cold. Trump could have taken a lot of credit for the speed with which the Covid vaccines were created, but when he initially tried to do that he was booed by his cult followers and hasn't done it since. I was going to get the RSV vaccine but I don't have Medicare Part D and without that it costs around $280, so I passed on that for now. Got my flu and Covid shots last month. And yes, "Like a good neighbor, stay over there" is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked at how much the RSV vaccine cost and I'm hoping that's one we don't have to do repeatedly. But I have lung issues, so I think it was important for me and mine was covered.

      Delete
  8. Covid, again... still... I'm sorry to read about this. It's ridiculous how people have tried to downplay the severity of a virus that killed millions of people. It was a pandemic, for crying out loud, call it such. Respect its power to harm people. Denial is never pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't believe how quickly ignorance has spread about the science of vaccines, the science of climate change and the disrespect for libraries and education. And it's all connected.

      Delete
  9. I really love this meme. This strain of covid is less but it's still bad. Everyone I know who got it first time around and said that is dead. So there is that.
    Rick was in a study for RSV. He didn't know if he got the vaccine or a placebo. He was paid for his time. And when he got a cold all medication and dr visits were paid for. When the blind study was complete he found he got the placebo. He assumed because the shot didn't hurt his arm as a shingles vaccine, flu shot, shingles shot etc did. So now he has to get the vaccine. There are a great many research companies here who ask for volunteers. My neighbors parents did the one for the covid vaccine many years ago. After the study they were told they got the real thing by Pfizer. They were thrilled. I've had all the boosters and the main one and so far no Covid. I want to keep it that way. All the people I know who got it have such long term issues even if the covid was mild. It's sad so many people have their heads up their butts. Thankfully those who came before us were not so stupid or we'd still have polio etc. Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting comments, Margaret!!!!! A lot of illnesses have been eradicated because of vaccines and yet the Trump fans say they haven't been tested enough. Covid vaccines have gone in more arms world wide that all the others and we don't see wide spread adverse reactions.

      Delete
  10. I had all 3 shots (flu, Covid, rsv) and feel somewhat protected from this woman at church who sits in our favorite “old people section,” breathes on us, and cautions us to avoid the vaccines because “they” are implanting tracking chips into us. (Not sure why I would care since I only go to church and to Meijer). She’s “done her research” and claims Doc Fauci was tried and executed a year ago. Nancy Pelosi, too. What we see on tv are holograms of those two. By now you’ve guessed it, she’s a Super Trumper - toothless, brainless, careless. Never thought I’d meet a whacko bird like this in person, but here she is! God help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You win in the I-know-the-wackiest-Maga-person contest. I always get a good laugh out of the micro chip theory. If the powers that be want to track us they have our phones and credit cards to do that.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for all who vaccinate. I'm one of the unfortunate few who wants to but cannot due to a serious reaction to a prior vaccine. I'm eagerly awaiting approval of Astrazeneca's new prophylactic biclonal long-lasting shots for those of us who are immunocompromised or cannot vaccinate. Its protection lasts us for about six months, but the new variants rendered the last effort Evusheld not effective now. My husband and I have eaten out at exactly one restaurant since Covid. When we stopped by in the afternoon tp pick up a late lunch, the wide-apart tables were mostly empty, so we stayed and ate. He's had the newest version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just it, Covid might hit some of us milder this year because we've been vaccinated but it's still dangerous if we spread to people like you. Therefore we have to keep them up until it dies out.

      Delete
  12. Will Covid ever just piss off and not come back, it seems like it just keeps rearing it's ugly head, I am so over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will die out in time BUT probably not for another 10 years. Other things have been vaccinated out of existence.

      Delete
  13. Good grief, Jean. What a mess. (I confess, I was a little worried being at Randy Rainbow with the crowd.) They're smart to do what they have to do, as unpopular as it may be (death or hospitalization being more unpopular) but still, no fun at all. Do you or does anyone you know have Britbox? I watched a fabulous, creepy show (6 parts) called "This England," which is about Boris Johnson's early days as PM -- elected just before Covid hit. It's gripping as you see them (and the rest of the world) sort of ignoring it all, thinking it would pass, then making efforts but having resistance. You see what was happening in the hospitals, care homes, Number 10, all over -- as you watch Johnson and his team pretty much begin to self-destruct as things get worse and worse. Kenneth Branagh was Boris and I'll tell you -- you couldn't see a bit of Branagh in that. The voice, the make-up, the walk... unbelievable. Yup. Apocalyptic but now-ish.

    I broke down and switched from the news to Hallmark, too. Every time I watch one I keep thinking I need to write one. It's a formula -- pick one: Widow, single mom, unmarried woman (or man); location: cute little town, impersonal big city (or both); pick one--handsome neighbor, kid's teacher, meet-cute person. Have a crisis 20 minutes before the end. You've got it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You forgot that the couple in the Hallmark movies can't kiss until the end. They may attempt one but get interrupted. LOL But my favorites have the women walking about in high heels in snow and under dressed for the weather,

      That Boris Johnson documentary sounds like it would make me mad watching it. The pandemic didn't need to be as bad as it was except for men like him and Trump.

      Delete
  14. I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems with Google/Blogger. I know Jeanie was for a while, and a couple of others. There's one Blogger fellow that I've stopped visiting, since no matter which device or browser I use I get a message that his site contains trojans or other mischievous tidbits that could wreak havoc. I finally managed to get to yours, and the rest of the Blogger crew, by installing Google's Chrome browser. Now, I have your blog in my little list over there, and haven't had any more problems.

    I must say: of all the things I'm not going to do, watching post-apocalyptically themed movies is right up there. Of course, I'm not much for what my film buddies call rom-coms, either, so there's that. I was glad to see that the screen actors' strike apparently is over. It may be that some new films will be in production soon, and that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the screen writers are going back to work. We had too many foreign movies on Netflixs and their values are different enough that I don't enjoy most of them.

      I haven't made the switch yet but I strongly guess going to Chrome is the answer to some of my issues, if not all of them. I hate leaving Firefox. I hate change!

      Delete
    2. I love Firefox, too. I use it for everything except Blogger. I just installed an icon for Chrome on my home page, so I can click that, take a look at Blogger blogs, and then go back to Firefox.

      Delete
    3. Whoops! That was me. I forgot to make the switch. Operator error.

      Delete
    4. You inspire me to try Chrome for the blogs.

      Delete
  15. I'm a little scared since I worked the polls in my small town in Ohio yesterday and had one voter every 1.5 minute breathing on me. Luckily I am by the machine where they scan the ballot and I have to stay 5 feet away from them. Today I am rejoicing because the majority came through and voted to let our citizens make their own personal decisions and enshrine that right in to our state consititution. I live in a red county and was starting to have hope after seeing the number of older women voting as well as mothers bringing in first time voter daughters and taking their photos while voting. They asked me if that was okay and I said SURE (I'm not sure if it is or isn't). Wooo Hooo - a big day of relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being a poll worker! I never thought of it as a dangerous job until last year and now there is also a shortage of workers this year between Covid and the threat of violence in the air. Ohio did us proud this year and the mother/daughter combinations voting together on a historic measure encourages me. Seven states down and more I hope will follow.

      Delete
  16. Glad you're vaxxed and keeping your distance. None of us need another winter like the past few. I got flu & RSV (thanks for the free shots, Medicare!) and will get Covid tomorrow. I saved it for a time when I can spend a day on the couch, as they make me tired and achy for about 36 hours. There was a couple waiting for their shots at Walgreen when I was there. The pharmacy tech asked them if they wanted Covid and they said, no, just flu. If you don't "believe in vaccines", I guess that's one thing. But to have flu and not Covid tells me what channel they have on daily. Good grief. As my husband says, maybe Darwin will take care of them. (Yes, cold but true.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep waiting for Darwin to take care of Trump but he keeps walking and talking. He has and continues to cause the America people so much money it makes me angry.

      Someone here said they told their kids not to get Covid shots because they 'read' the vaccinate will damage their reproductive organs.

      Delete
  17. Sorry to hear The Rona is making rounds again and disrupting Life. I'm glad it's weakening, I've yet to get us our Vaxxes since here they seem to have shortages each time we tried to go in and get them. I see more Mask wearing, yet, it still bugs me that people voluntarily wearing them for their own or others protection, are almost always wearing them incorrectly, so I'm like, what's the Point? *LOL* I like watching things that make me feel better about my own Crisis, so, I Get It. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vaccines are working and quick actions to isolate kept the outbreak short lived. As quick as everyone got it, it ended with no new cases. Masks are showing up in our stores again and I was at the hospital yesterday and they don't have a mask requirement. That means out breaks are low in the county. Thankfully.

      Delete
  18. Love the floor mat (?). I guess that passing germs is the one problem of living in the CCC. Like you said a cold won't kill you but Covid, hum, yes. I wonder if the campus, as a group, will build up a tolerance to certain bugs as they are exposed and reexposed. As for me, I could probably stay in my room for a week or maybe even two.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is me, shoreacres -- for some reason, your new post won't open for me. I just get a blank page in Chrome. At least here your site finally opened so I could let you know. I have no idea what the problem is, and it may be resolved by morning. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.