Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

The Sentiemental Garment Show

 

Our Life Enrichment Director is really good at listening to our suggestions for cultural or fun events to put on our calendar and one I suggested happened this past week. It was called The Sentimental Garment Show. The idea was for people to bring a garment or a photo of yourself wearing the garment to the activities room for a presentation that explains why it’s sentimental to you. At first I thought the idea was a bust because no one signed up for it the first week it was added to our sign-up apt---yes, another reason it helps to be computer literate in continuum care facilities---so I started talking the idea up at the lunch table, explaining the kinds of things people could bring. It worked and we ended up with twenty-two people bringing items and many of them brought more than one garment.

One of the most interesting garments was a simple, white linen ‘under dress’ that was 100 years old and belonged to the grandmother of my 92 year old upstairs neighbor. Another woman had a jacket from the Olympics. She had been on a ski patrol most of her adult life and when the Olympics were in Salt Lake City the committee invited her to work at it, grooming trails. She said they were provided workers with an entire wardrobe that even included underwear in the Olympic colors and with the three ring logo imprinted on everything. A christening gown was made by another resident and she had a photo album with the twelve babies who wore it. Four wedding dresses appeared---one in a preservation box and the others three on hangers and displayed by a woman who’d been married three times. (She gets teased a lot about having three husbands and is good nature-ed about it.) Two quilts made from shirts of husband’s who’d died (one since moving here) were in the show and I could have brought one of those as well, but didn’t. A ratty old bathrobe was brought down with an explanation that it was the owners go-to comfort robe when she was feeling under the weather. I tried to get some of the guys to bring down one of their ratty old tee shirts that their wives claim they won’t let them throw out but I struck out.

A wonderful wool, winter cape was made by the mother of one of our residents. The workmanship was to die for as was the workmanship on a velvet bridesmaid dress and a ring bear’s outfit made by the mother of another resident. A knitted baby dress was presented and a baby’s quilt and a photograph of a baby’s bassinet with a skirt that was made out of a wedding dress.  Another couple brought a king sized quilt they said was sentimental to them for no other reason than that fact that she made it…somewhat out of place in a garment show but if you knew our Life Enrichment Director you’d understand why she rolls with whatever anyone wants to do. There were two hippy, Flower Child dresses and one of them was mine.

The write-up on my entry read: “If you look closely at the fabric in this dress you’ll see the date 1776 scattered in the print. I made this “Hippie Dress” for our Bicentennial in 1976 and I wore it nearly every weekend through that summer. You may remember that cities and small towns across our nation held patriotic celebrations of all descriptions that entire year and my husband and I went to nearly all of those within driving distance. The photo of me wearing this dress was taken after I signed a copy of the Declaration of Independence that’s in a time capsule in some forgotten town. I was wearing this dress when church bells rang in synchronization across the nation on the Fourth and I wore this dress when I stood along a parade route in a tiny town where half its citizens were in the parade while the other half watched. Celebrating the Bicentennial became a cultural phenomenon that included everything from serving red, white and blue foods at family picnics to building UFO landing pads in several cities as an invitation for space aliens to come help us celebrate. When I downsized to move to Clark I sold off a massive collection of Bicentennial Souvenirs but I couldn’t part with this dress and the nostalgic memories attached to it.”     

Changing topics: Another resident suggested a lecture given by her granddaughter who is a Major in the Air Force and works as a dentist for the military. I go to every lecture, even if I think they’ll be boring or ‘hokey’ and I was surprised at how professional this woman’s presentation was and how interesting the life of a woman career officer was. Duh, I hadn’t realized recruitment was part of her job. Only once was I disappointed in a resident-inspired activity. One couple living here has a granddaughter who sings for the local opera house and while she’s well known and respected around the community the room she sang in here was just too small and about busted my eardrums. I’m not fond of that genre of music to begin with but others who like it had the same complaint, so I won’t be in attendants if she’s invited back again this Christmas. Another family has a daughter and son-in-law who run a dude ranch out west and when they come visit family around Christmas they lead a sing-a-long at are fireplace that make us want to have ‘smores. With all the holiday doings going on around here I might have to add an extra post or two in to the line up.

Until Next Wednesday. ©

32 comments:

  1. It sounds like you picked the right place to move too! I can't believe it's been as long as it has been. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it stays this way. Earlier this year they merged with another CCC and it's now part of a chain in several states and the new management is making changes. We've lost some key people and they are slow to replace them , if at all.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea for a program! Lots of interesting memories and it sounds like everyone loved to share them. I remember the bicentennial. We were married in 1976 and had lots of themed wedding gifts. I think we broke the last 1976 glassware a year ago. Everyone wanted us to have a red, white and blue wedding and I refused. Now I wish I had! Your dress sounds adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a photo taken of me with it at the show but I'm having so much trouble with photos on my blog that it refuses to open when I include it with this post. A Red, white and blue wedding would be a memorial one!

      Delete
    2. I had trouble even getting logged in today! I had to delete my history and cache for another issue and the results are so annoying!

      Delete
  3. It's me, Linda. Never mind my comment on your previous post. This finally opened on Firefox, although it took quite some time. I'll leave this page open and leave a real comment in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you add extra posts -- I always look forward to them. That sounds like a terrific idea for a program -- or for a fun party. Bring something (garment or otherwise) of great significance or memory. I might have to do that sometime with a gang of folks. I don't think I've ever been to one that did that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now we're talking about doing another show of sentimental objects. I 0realized I have a sweater my mom made for me in the '60s and a suit '6-jacket I made for my husband in the 60s I could have also brought to the garment show. It was an original idea, the show, but based on the old show-and-tell from grade school.

      Delete
  5. After I read this, my first thought was that I don't have any sentimental garments. Then, it occurred to me: in my cedar chest, I have two hand-knit sweaters that my mother made for me. I was much younger and somewhat smaller then, so they don't fit now, and I don't wear them. But I'd never give them away -- they're beautiful things that showed off her skills to the max. She was such a good knitter -- wish I'd kept more over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a sweater that my mom made for me too. Same thing as yours---it shows how skilled my mom was. it was four colors and a Swedish design.

      Delete
  6. What a fabulous idea and what a great way to learn more about your fellow residents! Kudos to you Jean, for "marketing" it so well to make sure it happened. I would go to many events too, even if they sounded uninteresting - I have been delightfully surprised on enough occasions to know I will probably find something that speaks to me even if I think it's not my cup of tea at the outset. I look forward to your upcoming posts!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something interesting at lectures if nothing else, it gives us something to talk about later on.

      Delete
  7. Sentimental garments can bring up so many emotions I have had some over the years but what became of them I don't remember properly in a moment of weakness I allowed my girls to talk me into getting rid of said item but what is done is done so I don't stress over it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a fun idea! I wouldn't have anything to bring. I have jewelry that is sentimental that I got when my mom died. But no clothing that means that much to me. Now you got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a great idea! And the sequel as well. I may fly out to participate ... I have my beaded baby bracelet from the hospital AND my engraved pendant as winner of the 5th grade spelling bee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Jean--what a wonderful idea for a group event and a Get To Know You Better activity, too! Just think of all the terrific info you found out about some neighbors. It also gave participants a chance to share some meaningful parts of their lives. My favourite quote is from Ken Burns the documentary filmmaker who said, "There are no ordinary lives." Your activity proves that. Everyone has something about them that makes them interesting and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having so much trouble with this post opening up to comment back that I'm going to do multi comments in this one box:

    Jo-Anne: When someone tries to talk me out of keeping something I get really bullheaded about it and I want to keep it all the more.

    Margaret: We had one lady who brought jewelry. One necklace she wears all the time she got when her grandson died.

    Awkward Widow: Those are really special items! I have my baby ring but I'm impressed with your spelling bee pendant.

    Nance: I love Ken Burns and that quote. He has a connection to Michigan and I've seen him speak in person. Such a nice guy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to see some extra posts from you! And thanks for reminding me about 1976. My mom was a square dancer and my now husband and I went to quite a few places where she and her group were performing. It was a fun summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting event! I think my sentimental clothing would be my Grandpa's wool blazer that I still wear. It's a lovely Pendleton gray and blue plaid that I wear with my Grandma's pin on the lapel. My Grandpa died in 1959 so that jacket is really old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pendleton wears like iron. It was my mom's favorite fabric.

      Delete
  14. The sentimental garment show was a brilliant idea, especially after everyone got the hang of it (with your help at lunch). Many of us are uncomfortable trying to talk people into something, and yet, we're grateful to those people who are good at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kind of an odd ball idea but easy for me to imagine because I'm very sentimental about a lot of things, apparently more so than most others. We ended up with a good turn out.

      Delete
  15. A sentimental garment show is a brilliant idea. Everyone must have enjoyed it (after you encouraged them to come).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a success and now that's it's over I realize I had several more pieces I could have put in it and it a few other.

      Delete
  16. Clever idea for a gathering. And what a fascinating collection of things in the show!

    My son was born in 1976 and we bought a Bicentennial Rocker for his room. It was a huge clunky thing. I loved it, but the back of it dented every wall it ever sat next to. I recovered it when the fabric wore out. I am doubtful it was an actual style popular in 1776. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bicentennial baby. I wish I'd been able to pull that off. The best sovereign ever. lol

      Delete
  17. That was a very interesting idea. I remember once when I was volunteering at a nursing home the social director organised a similar event, where residents were invited to bring along an object from their past that held particular meaning. There were some very moving stories told on that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you again! We're hoping to do another event like that later this winter or in the spring. I liken it to the show-and-tells from our grade school days.

      Delete
  18. Jean, was there a 'lost' Post of yours, I got a new feed of one and then before I could read it, well, it vanished!!! Haven't seen it since... Everyone here got Home and to their other destination safely, whew... so now all the Grandkids are scattered again where they can move forward, I have a Peace. Only have to try to get The Daughter Home for Thanksgiving now if possible, she's going to try and her Friend Andrase is going to Bankroll it for her. Had it not been for the abundant generosity of her Friends, we couldn't have handled the crisis on just our own resources. There are still good people out there in this World... now... if just the rest could be Enlightened to be Good Humans towards one another, I think that would indeed be the ultimate Gift to the Creator on this Holy Day Season being celebrated, but, not always in ways that are meaningful to Humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a test post I was doing to see if I could figure out what was slowing down my blog when people tried to open it. Knock on wood, I think I worked it out.

      So glad to know your family situation is settling back down again!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.