Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Dogs, Cats and Afternoon Conversations



I’ve got a lot going on inside my head but it's not "baked" enough yet to commit to writing. And as for doing anything interesting this week, I doubt I can write 1,000 words on that topic either. Who really wants to know about a Red Hat Society tea where the highlight of the hour and a half conversation was a discussion on the shapes and sizes of women’s breasts? One of the ten ladies in attendance used to be a bra fitter back in the day when department stores had lingerie employees who did that sort of thing which is what got us started on the conversation. All I did is listen while the others joked about their fried eggs, cucumbers and watermelons. Half the ladies had also recently seen Mamma Mia: Here we go Again! and that filled up a good fifteen minutes as they told the other half about the movie. Unlike me they all loved it and several even wanted to see it a second time. Again, all I did is listen. Why spoil their happy chatter with my less than flattering opinion of the movie? 

We also talked about the engagement of one of our Red Hat sisters. Her ring has three diamonds: one for her, one for him and one in the middle for Christ. Someone asked her when the wedding will take place and she said, “Never. I’m going to a fiancée for the rest of my life. I’d lose too much of my income if we get married.” Before I learned about the diamond for Christ I teased her with a follow up question, “So you’re living in sin then?” to which she said, “Oh, no! I have my house and he has his and I love it that way. He’s too messy and I’m too neat to live together.” Okay. I get the two houses concept and know from my father’s last decade of life that having a girlfriend living a mile apart, who early-on turned down his marriage proposal, can work out great in the senior set. Dad and his girlfriend saw each other 3-4 times a week, talked on the phone daily and took vacations together. 

To round out the conversation that afternoon, the person in charge of planning our Red Hat ‘walk abouts’ announced that the church she wanted us to tour this month has stopped doing them. Boo hoo. The endless church tours the past couple of summers is what turned me sour on the chapter. So this month’s walk about will be to a nature center that takes in wildlife that’s been injured. I’ve always wanted to go there so I’ll be attending my first walk about since what seems like forever and a day.

Also going on this week: Levi did a return performance at the doggie dentist’s office where he showed off his obedience training by automatically hopping on the scale and sitting while the technician got the reading. Like me, his weight went up this year. He should be 27/28 pounds, but he’s 30. (Too bad his human---that would be me----keeps coming up with excuses for not taking him on daily walks. It’s too hot, it’s too cold, it’s too this and too that. It’s been a long couple of weeks since Levi got three teeth pulled. He didn't liked the canned food he was supposed to eat until this appointment. And I don’t blame him. It smelled awful and looked worse and he wouldn’t touch it, even when I resorted to trying to get him to eat it off a spoon. Don’t judge me; after three days of him not eating anything, what would you do? I ended up soaking his regular hard food in water until it was soft enough and I returned the unused cans of food to the vet. Thankfully, Levi the Mighty Schnauzer got cleared to go back to eating hard stuff. And the Milk-Bones Trail Mix fairy could be heard singing, "Yippie yi ooh!". The company missed Levi’s brand loyalty.

Ever since he was a puppy, Levi has gotten a trip to Starbucks for a cup of cream and to the pet store after leaving the vet’s office where canines are welcome to do their own shopping. In his first 5-6 years he’d always come home with a new stuffie but this time he literally smelled every foot of every shelf (down at his level) in a very methodical way up and then down each aisle, so that nothing in the entire Chow Hound store was missed including the official ‘house cat’ that was snuggled down between two dog beds. Their eyes met, then the cat went back to sleep leaving Levi to wonder, I imagine, if the cat was just another stuffie. 

Twice, people stopped to complement Levi on the fact that he was so calm and polite, sitting upon their approaches like the little gentleman he was taught to be. He didn’t bark in the store either and to chalk up even more merit points for good behavior, he also didn’t mark the ends of the aisles like others males have been known to do. But what was supposed to be a short shopping trip took well over a half hour of sniffing and he didn’t once haul a single thing out of its bin leaving me to guess on a treat to take home. I ended up getting him a cookie from the specialty ‘dog bakery’ shelf because they were close to the cashier and who doesn’t want to spoil their dog with a ridiculously expensive, decorated cookie that looked suspiciously like Chow Hound’s calico house cat? ©

35 comments:

  1. The cucumber shaped breasts had me intrigued - haven't seen, nor can I imagine them.

    I wonder if the fiance is aware that its a forever-engagement?!

    You're a good Mum - Levi very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Me either, Libby on the cucumber breasts and I've never heard of a forever-engagement but it seems a bit odd to keep the ring if you're never going to get married. But then again, maybe they enjoy the formal commitment of it, for their relationship.

      Delete
  3. Yippee! Happy to hear that Levi has been cleared for solid food. I would hate to be on a soft diet. :(
    Remember when they used to have lingerie parties, like Tupperware parties? I wonder if they still do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would just drink my meals if they put me on soft foods.

      I heard about a lingerie bridal shower last winter. Not sure if it was by an actual company or you were just to bring lingerie. But I remember going to one of those back in the day.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on Levi's comportment. Honestly, a well-behaved dog is such a pleasure. I wish I could say that Zydrunas, my granddog, is one, but sadly, he is not. He is highly Other Dog Reactive, and is the victim of Inconsistent Training At Home from both of his dog parents, my sons. And now that he is a product of Shared Custody, it is not likely to get better.

    But I still adore him, and he snaps to very well for me. He knows I don't put up with a lot of bulls*it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a dog is a big commitment in the beginning but so worth the effort to go to dog training classes. Your grand-dog is smart if he knows get can't get away with stuff when he's with you.

      Delete
  5. Levi is such a lucky dog. His owner treats him so well and I bet he knows it.
    So that's what you women discuss with...shapes and sizes of women’s breasts.Now men usually talk about that when they see a woman with large ones like Kate Upon. Her husband was the Tiger's pitcher, Justin Verlander. We men never discuss the sizes of our penises unless were in the showers. We just look and for many of us we just cry. LOL
    What is going on with this woman that has this diamond ring? She's never going to get married, & stay in her own home. Is her boyfriend crazy or something? Nuttier then ever I say.
    Well that's about all I can say Jean. Maybe I wrote to much. Oh well. Enjoy your day my friend. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard women discuss shapes and sizes before either...well, almost never. It was an anomaly.

      I think what happened is he gave her the ring with the intent to get married and living together. She said yes but then decided her income would drop and/or they couldn't decide whose house to give up thus the forever engagement plan came about. Getting married when you're older and have kids to inherit does get more complicated than getting married right out of school when you both only have dreams and a job.

      Delete
  6. Glad that Levi is so well mannered and back up to snuff. And I would never judge on spoon feeding a food-limited dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what dishwasher are for. LOL

      He really enjoyed his first day of eating hard foods. Thankfully, the few teeth he does have left are his chewing molars.

      Delete
  7. I think at our age, a forever engagement with two houses is perfect. Lets face it, we've had decades of becoming set in our ways and it would keep the romance fresh.
    So glad Levi is back on the firm food diet. Am impressed with his manners. Callie is so awful when she sees another dog that I have to bring her in the back door of the vets. That stems from her having been mauled by a pack of dogs before I got her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an great aunt and uncle who lived right next door to each other but were married. Why question what works for some?

      Levi will bark at dogs in a distance or at our mailbox but up close he just wants to play. Poor Callie! That's probably something a dog could ever get over.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I wonder if a thunder jacket would make her feel more safe when she goes to the vet and has to see other dogs.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoy reading about Levi. I've known several obnoxious doggies in my time, but he clearly isn't one.

    I actually know a couple in their 70s who got divorced for tax purposes. They each have their own house now (actually, she has an apartment, because she says she was tired of cleaning) but they spend all their time together, vacation together, take the great-grandkids on trips -- the whole deal. It's pretty amazing.

    Of course, my mom and I had the same arrangement: we lived in the same building, but different apartments. Neither one of us wanted to live with the other, which really was pretty amusing. For one thing, I'm a crack of dawn person, and she never perked up until 10 p.m.

    I once went with a guy I knew I couldn't marry. He was all dark wood paneling and heavy drapes, and I wanted bright colors and light. Sometimes, the little things are the best clues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Society needs a word or term for these two-dwelling-places kind of relationships. I think it's not uncommon at all.

      A crack-of-dawn person would be hard to live with it you're not one too. I'm more like your mother. My body can be up but my brain isn't.

      I hate the dark colors in decor, too. The dark floors, cabinets and walls they show on house hunters shows really turn me off!

      Delete
  9. Fred and I were engaged with no intent on getting married--and it was for financial reasons. When one is older, it is best NOT to get married. If one has to go to a nursing home, if married, the home figures both peoples assets. if you are single, they only take yours. Same with hospital bills, I would not be responsible for Fred's nor he for mine. Same with credit card debt, etc. We did have a commitment "ceremony" where we repeated wedding-like vows--out in the woods, all by ourselves, and we lived together and if people mistook us as married, we didn't correct them. We felt married, and we were, in every sense of the word except we no had legal license. As you know, it worked wonderfully for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend here who had the exact, same arrangement with a guy before he died. What works, works! Good memories for both you and her.

      Delete
  10. Oh god, I’ve heard everything now, the center diamond for Christ, it’s too much I may gag.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Levi sounds very smart and like he has common sense. My dog weighed 14 pounds and 12 or 13 is a better weight for him; my vet says change to wet food since dry food is higher caloric, plus add pumpkin puree so that is what my Bounce is eating. Plus a little dry food mixed in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Levi loves that pumpkin puree, too, mixed into his dry food but he doesn't get it every day. The breeder told me Levi would only be 15 pounds. I wanted a dog that small but that's not what I got.

      Delete
  12. I love Levi stories! I wish my Pippa acted more like him but she doesn't and never will, I'm afraid. Not for lack of trying though! You sound a little down or out of sorts. Are you okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, are you good to pick up on my mood! I'm okay, just trying to make some tough decisions.

      Delete
    2. Well, don't be afraid to use us as a sounding board. One, some or all of us may be able to help in some way. Not to sway you but just offer suggestions or our own solutions to particular problems. Or just to have someone to listen to you think it all out. You're not alone.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! In my next post (Wed.) I'll be doing just that...unless something more exciting comes along to write about. It's not earth shattering, it just has a lot of moving parts that need to come together.

      Delete
  13. Huh. Centre diamond for Christ? That's a new one, for me. And a forever engagement? Also new. As people are living longer, they are coming up with creative ways to commit and redefining their relationships, and I think that is a good thing. I hope it works for them, and Christ too...since he's been roped into the deal as well. ;-)
    Glad to hear that Levi is mighty again, and such a fine little gentleman.
    Have a great week, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's only a gentleman away from home. Here, he torments the rabbits (and me) with his barking. But he's really a sweet dog.

      Delete
  14. Levi sounds like a little gem! Sweet and smart! Well, if you think it's hard walking a dog, try walking a cat. Stimpy was great at it. Gypsy not so much and Lizzie hopeless!

    I relate to your friend. Rick and I have been together for 22+ years, I helped raise his kids, we have our estate plans together, love each other to pieces and see each other every day we are in the same town, which is most (except lake and bike-ride time). We live in separate houses two blocks apart and it is the best thing ever. If (and it's a big if but not an impossible one) we ever get legally married (which would largely be for insurance purposes and/or eventual social security options), we would STILL live in separate houses or spaces, although if I get old and infirm enough, I would move into the duplex he owns (he lives on the other side). So, I get it. What I don't get is the concept of engagement. Just call it a commitment ring and good to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calling it an engagement is the part I have trouble with, too. As long as they do that, people will keep asking the "when" question. The legal issues of power of attorney for health and finances and estate planning are far more important than a ring. I don't know her well enough to know if that stuff will be part of the deal. But she's very happy now to have someone special in her life. She was widowed in the same month and year I was. Don and I also did the separate houses close by for a long time as we both ran businesses out of them and the businesses weren't comparable. What works, works. I think I've said before in this thread. If not, I should have. LOL

      Delete
  15. I had a college roommate with breasts that I thought of as elongated pine cones. Seemed unusual to me. I think that comes close to the cucumber description. Apparently there is more diversity in this area than we are aware of. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, from what I gleaned from the discussion is that the cucumbers comes from not having very dense breast tissue. Gravity, apparently takes them down quicker than dense tissue. But pine cones? LOL

      Delete
  16. Personally, I think breasts are a design flaw. They should have been engineered to drop off after child-bearing years ended.

    I recall reading years ago that life styles as you describe with the three diamond ring lady were very prevalent in Florida with so many of the older crowd living there — basically financial reasons. Maes ensevto me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL on the breasts.

      I always thought in Florida the women outnumber the men by a wide margin but I've also heard what you sayings is true. One thing is for sure, society accepts living together for all ages, now, which isn't wasn't t back in the day.

      Delete
  17. Good Doggie! I wish I was your pet....so many gifts and treats! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.