Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Mission: Relocation Possible




Saturday I hopped out of bed like I was attached to a Pogo stick, took a shower, walked the dog and took off to the south end of town. Forty-two minutes later I was sitting in the office of the manager of a manufactured homes park with 400 units. You may know of the Sun Communities. According to Wikipedia they are a publicly traded real estate trust with 350 Sun Parks across the United States and Canada with a grand total of 121,892 homes and all of them are built by Clayton or Champion. 

I started out by saying, “I’ve always lived in single family homes so I have a list of questions about living in a place like this.” I already knew the dog rule was breed specific, not weight specific but I asked again just to be sure a 30 pound dog would not be a problem. It’s not. Park Rules? “Good neighbor rules” is all she’d say but I knew from reading reviews online that they do weekly inspections. She couldn’t/wouldn’t show me an actual list of rules, but according to a reviewer “they are too picky” but, who knows, maybe he wanted to put a car up on blocks in the front yard. She did say you have to pass a background check before they’ll accept an offer on any of the units in the park which explains why when I checked the crime watch website for the area no sex offenders or break-ins popped up at Sun. HOA fees don’t cover a damn thing but road maintenance (and may property taxes. I forgot to ask about that) and they cost in between $580 to $299. Of course the units with garages would put me in the upper range. And I’d have to have a garage for Levi. Every time I come home from anywhere he insists on sniffing my car’s undercarriage. If I didn’t have a garage I’d have to tell the neighbors he was once a military dog and he’s checking for bombs and tracking devices. I’d be embarrassed to admit I indulge his habit of checking for Road Kill eau de Cologne.  

When I tried to pin her down on how much these homes depreciate, she was ready with her manager-perfect answer of, “It depends on how well the home owners keep their places up.” And I still can’t believe you have to contract for your own lawn care on those postage stamp sized yards! I think I told her that three times. You’d be hearing lawn mowers constantly. On the good side they have the cable company I like but on the bad side their community room/health facility and office building doesn’t have a single bulletin board where you could post to organize a book or movie club or whatever. No newsletter either and only two organized events each year---a yard sale day and an ice cream social. Also on the bad side is there aren’t any trees in the entire place that are taller than me. Where would Levi pee? That would be so hard to get used to. I’d have hang large paintings of white pines on the walls to feel at home. She drove me around the place and took me inside a model and I could make it work except I hated the spa-like bathroom with its toilet tucked in a chubby hole, a huge clear glass shower and a deep, claw-footed bathtub. I’d have to use the tub to display my sea shell collection because there is no way I could get in and out of that magazine perfect tub sitting in front of floor-to-ceiling windows. And that shower was so open I’d be fighting the urge to hang girly curtains inside or turn it into a greenhouse.

After leaving the park office I went a block up the road to a condo community that has a basket load of new condos going up…zero steps and in a price range I can afford. And for the bonus round, on the other side of a screen of trees is a community of 400 families who’ve all passed background checks. Across the street is a golf course, not that I golf but they don’t generate a lot of traffic. The community is dog friendly with no weight restrictions so Levi could turn into an obese schnauzer I'd have to pull around in a wagon and it wouldn't get us kicked out. Judging by the outsides and online photos, these condos are fabulous and they are just down the street from the stand-alone condo that a few years ago wanted to interview Levi before accepting my offer on a place I loved. Nyah, nyah, nyah!

Oh, and my target area of around this golf course? Perfect. It’s four miles to a library, an urgent care facility and my banks, six miles to a movie theater, gas station and my favorite grocery store chain with a Starbucks inside, seven miles to my great-niece’s house where my niece is locked in to doing child care for the next five years and it’s less than a mile from a major street that my brother and nephew frequently use---my nephew would only live five miles away and my brother fifteen. My younger niece who lives the furthest would only be eighteen miles away and my oldest niece just fourteen---both drives on country roads. And all my doctor’s offices are ganged up on one road, which is a fairly easy driving commute of ten miles back into the city. So now what’s the game plan? Get serious about downsizing and in the spring maybe start working with a realtor. ©


NOTE: Photo above is an artist rendering of the condos I looked at and the photo below is from the Sun Community. The condo is $208,000 (for two bedrooms)---yes, brand new---and the three bedroom manufactured home below is listed at $92,900. The HOA on the condo was only $200 a month and covers trash pickup, yard care, water, sewer, snow removal and insurance.


37 comments:

  1. Congrats on looking again. It would be very easy to start a monthly newsletter ... helpful to a newbie. And you would be very good at getting the news. Smart to be closer to family before it is a necessity. Keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a subscription newsletter with over 1,000 subscribers back years ago before the internet. Would not want to repeat that history at my age. But I did find an non-official Facebook page for the park. Didn't learn much from it but its there.

      Delete
  2. I'm routing for the 2nd one. When I can't get a straight answer I am not comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Too many red flags for me in the park. A review I read said when you move out you have to sell back to them and they only gave them 50% of what they paid the year before. Beach towels on a deck rail and a trash bag put on the wrong side of the door on trash day get you infractions according to reviews. Not sure what happens with the infractions, but at least one person said the inspector took something down that was breaking a rule. I can live with rules but I'd want to see the list before agreeing that I'd fit in with them.

      At the condos---and there are many around the golf course, I think there will always be something up for sale when I'm ready but in today's market you have to be ready to put an offer in as soon as they go up.

      Delete
  3. WEll it looks like that you and I are doing the same thing. I called my real estate friend and called him to come over. Mary Lou & I talked with him so he'll be checking around for us. I would like to stay and say in the Pointer West area but their small condos cost over $400 K. I told him I want to stay close to the water if possible. Here we go. We're on our way. I hope you get what you want just like me. Good luck Jean. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck with your search, Paul. You are closer to your goal than I am.

      Delete
    2. Paul, I've been trying to get on your blog but all that is popping is a list of links to get insurance quotes, college degrees, etc. Something is wrong!

      Delete
    3. Try this Jean. I may have to tell ever one to check this

      https://cruisinpaul.blogspot.com/

      Paul

      Delete
    4. I got in using that link but clicking on your name above and in my blog feeds to the right still takes me to the crazy stuff. I tried removing you from my blog list and putting you back in with the link above, but it still took me to the ad links.

      Delete
  4. Your tone would scratch that first one. Too many marginal rules and regulations that would be a turn off. Second one is better but I feel you haven't seen the perfect one yet. Keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't plan to look at any more places until next spring, now that I've confirmed my target area has plenty of condos. I will look on line but not make appointments.

      Delete
  5. You're very proactive and very brave. Whatever you decide, you know you've put in the work/thought to make the best decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I did what I needed to do to learn what I needed to learn and now I'll concentrate on downsizing until spring.

      Delete
  6. It’s pretty clear you are not comfortable with the manufactured homes. Sounds like you’s Getting very close to decision time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made a decision to do a lot of downsizing with the knowledge that when I'm ready to move, there will be places in my target area for sale next spring. The Manufactured home park is not totally ruled out is my Plan C.

      Delete
  7. Go for the condo! Just reading about that park made me pause and wonder why so secretive? And no tall trees???? And no activities or bulletin boards? I dunno; doesn't sound like your place. This is both scary and exciting, but I'm sensing excitement. You've wanted to get closer to family and this sounds like a good plan. Way to go, brave woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think in a place with 400 families there would be a bulletin board, wouldn't you. When I asked about activities she said, "This is a mixed age park. People here aren't looking for activities." Not letting me see a list of rules didn't set well. If they inspect, they must have a list of no-nos. I'm going to be in the area in a couple of weeks. Out of curiosity I'm going to drive through the park again and look for ornaments, bird feeders and plants.

      Delete
  8. Also....those prices are amazing! Be happy you don't live in the Seattle area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, property values sure have a wide spread across the country. I figured someone would find them from interesting.

      Delete
  9. Go for the Condo. At least you won't have to hire a lawn mowing guy or a driveway snow removal guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a trade off for the pool and workout room. But I probably wouldn't use them much anyway.

      Delete
  10. The condo sounds far more appealing, however there is a caveat: Don't buy a unit on the golf course or just across the street. I have a sister-in-law who lives on the perimeter of a golf course and she's had golf balls hit the house on a fairly regular basis, break picture windows, and one hit her finger when she was mowing and lost some of the function of that finger. Plus listening to the whoosh and whack of golfers isn't pleasant unless you're a golf nut. If the condos facing the course have a lower price or incentives - that's why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is something I never would have thought of. Thanks for pointing it out.

      Delete
    2. I lived on a golf course for close to 20 years. We got the occasional ball. They never hit the house, but I looked out one day and saw a man climbing our fence to look for his ball. :) I planted ivy. It took over the back half of the backyard, and nobody ever tried to find their ball again. I have to say, there are benefits. It was quiet and it was like living on a park. Beautiful! I would do it again.

      Delete
    3. I think the benefit of not having to look at more houses would be a great trade off too. But it would be worth looking at where the holes are and which way golfs would be shooting.

      Delete
  11. Jean, you'll have to use I new link I gave to you because somehow the link I had before it went blank. My friend http://bethere2day.com/ helped me get this new link that we all can get into including me. That's the only way that I can get to my blog. Sorry if that messes you up.

    Cruisin Paul

    https://cruisinpaul.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, from where I sit there is no comparison. Door Number Two. But you might want to keep looking just to satisfy yourself on the best spot. And you live in Michigan. West Michigan. Snow belt. You need a garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a hard time believing any one builds without garages in Michigan. There are probably 12 condo communities in around the golf course but it's kind of hard to beat the zero steps built for seniors.

      Delete
  13. Sigh ... don't think I would go for a place where they don't have set rules, infers rules could change at any time. Also not fond of HOAs where you don't really get your money's worth.
    Good to see you finding info for a variety!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never lived with HOAs so I have a lot to learn. I agree without rules written down they have a catch of changing. No matter where I end up i want the dog rules in writing!

      Delete
  14. I'd be a little wary of the first place. She sounded evasive. The second place sounds great. The location is perfect. If you're going to do this, the time is ripe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I visited a retirement village information session, plus a Senior Centre for possible enrolment, this morning. They offered new 3bed, 2bath, 2garage (surprisingly, the most in demand, even for single people) independent houses, in a small 'enclave' of some 45 such houses. Common facilities include: club room, swimming pool, guest suite, etc. Corporate body levies charges for the upkeep of common areas, including the pockethanky-size lawn, etc. However, anything goes wrong inside the house (which is yours) you look after it. Open to single or couples with one person being 50+. Since its your house, you can sell etc. New owner will take over the corporate levies. Corporate body of owners) decide and vote on "rules".

    My conclusion: could see no difference between my present situation and there (other than my current home is centrally located and this is on semi-rural land). Apparently, its a "lifestyle choice", as opposed to a graduated independent to assisted living, etc facility. So a mental NO from me.

    The Senior Centre was warm and welcoming, and really impressed on that score. But none of their activities interested me (I'd checked that online too). And seeing so many senior citizens together scared me! I know I don't take much care with my appearance, except when I go out to a place like today where I don't want to be taken as the local bag lady. But some of those present really looked like they needed personal help. I'm bad enough on my own, and need those around me to inspire me to improve my appearance! So, another No.

    But I learnt from the visit, and plan to visit a second information session this weekend at another nearby facility.

    By the way, have you discussed with your nieces, family etc re your proposed plans? I think its good to keep people in the info loop. ~ Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how varied places are set up. The kind of places where they step up in care levels I looked at a few years ago and don't think I'm ready for those yet either. I still think it's good to look at them though for someday maybe.

      Do visit other senior centers. Here, at least, they all have different mission statements and goals. The one I go to is strictly about "life enrichment" meaning stimulating your mind and body with activities. But many other places it's about giving seniors a meal and health information and companionship. I've never seen anyone I'd describe as poorly dressed at mine. Out of style yes, but not worn out.

      I haven't discussed any of this with my nieces. I'm not that far along in my plans or decisions where they'd need to be in the loop. I could change my mind twenty times between now and actually signing papers.

      Delete
  16. Its not lack $/fashionable clothes - just "I can't be bothered" and an extra hassle (I have the same affliction). ~ Libby

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I had the luxury you do of being able to look around and select a place that suits me. I love when I am, but I'm going to have to downsize eventually, and being a paycheck to paycheck sort, it's going to be quite an adventure when that day comes. I still enjoy my work, and it's a danged good thing I do, because there's no end to it until I just can't any more.

    Still, I do a pretty darned good Scarlett O'Hara impersonation, so we'll see what happens. I am delighted that you're out and about and looking. A friend whose husband died relatively recently has been going through the now-whats, and she just told me at dinner last night she's made her decision. She's keeping her house, but she bought a 26' RV for $20K, and once she's got it outfitted, she's heading out -- short trips at first, with the security of a house to return to. It doesn't surprise me, because she and her husband cruised on their sailboat for years. Now, she'll just be land-cruising, at age 70.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, what a bold move at 70 to buy and drive a 26' RV around. But they have RV clubs just for women (and other clubs that aren't) that would give some measure of safety traveling because they usually have a mechanic or two on their caravans and you get to know people. We had an RV and I hated driving it. Loved it after we got to the state parks so you won't find me be as adventurous has your friend.

      You may not have been reading my blog a few years ago when I set off condo shopping and gave up a few months later. I may do that again. But you're right, I'm in a good position with options. I got really scared when I thought I might be facing a serious operation, but I've settled down a little. At least it did start me downsizing again on eBay Hell.

      I love the work you do! It's a combination of arts, crafts, meditation, love and even quirky, unique. Scarlett O'Hara survived with her approach to worrying, and so will you. No one can say she didn't make the most out of what she had. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.