Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Blogging in the Real World & the Straw Wars


I wish I was a person who did things like mountain climbing or sailing from port to port or monitoring endangered species in the wild, if only so I’d have more to blog about. I do wish I could generate more than two blogs a week but who wants to read the minute-by-minute details of a seventy-something woman’s life who has no job or goals beyond the obvious?---eat, sleep, and wake up every morning. No one wants to read about the keys on my keyboard that stick or how often I ask Alexa how to spell something and I end up yelling at her for misdirecting me to words I have no interesting in using. And what about that Windows 10 update that put my printer out of commission just before I needed it for e-Bay labels? Does anyone really care that at my age I was able to puzzle out the fix without calling the Geek Squad? Well, I care but that's beside the point. In the real world if I did live the life of an adventurer or was involved in scientific investigation---like how do elephants react to whale vocalizations and visa versa?---I probably wouldn’t have the time to write a daily blog. Is that a dichotomy or what? Seriously, is that a dichotomy? How else would you describe a situation where you’re too busy living to write a blog but if you’re not a busy person you have nothing to write about?

As it is, my blog drives me out of the house more often than I’d care to admit. I go out looking for human interaction and to prove I’m still alive and not a figment of my own imagination. A few days ago, for example, I went to a busy park where a trail brings bikers and walkers by a river observation area with benches where people like me sit and eat ice cream. The only words I said that day were, “I’d like a single scoop of mint chocolate” and “thank you.”  But the sun was shining and I soaked it up, wishing I had the dog with me because he likes watching the swans floating at the top of the dam as much as I do. How do they know not to get so close that the current takes them over the falls, landing them below where there are usually five-six guys standing in the water fly fishing? Don’t they have jobs? I’ve often wondered of those fisherman---not the swans---and do they really trust eating fish caught in that water? A shoe factory that tanned leather used to dump their waste water in that river and, wells at houses all over the area have recently been found to have dangerous levels of toxic PFAS contamination. 

It seems like each generation has to clean up the messes of the previous generation’s ignorance. Were there people back when it was legal to dump toxic crap in rivers, who knew it wasn’t a smart thing to do? Did they have their plastic versus paper straws debates back then? The Trump campaign store is now selling plastic straws---a 10-pack for $15.00 “because Liberal paper straws don’t work,” Trump proclaims. I can’t believe straws have become symbolic of Right versus Left! I guess they want to brag that they are a party who doesn’t care about killing wildlife or polluting the oceans. Trump thinks paper straws are an invention of the far Left, as evil as evil gets. And as a card carrying member of the Left, I think Trump is as evil as evil gets. He’d probably enjoy pulling the wings off butterflies if he hadn’t found a job where he gets to mess with human lives instead.

I’ve been carrying my own paper and stainless steel straws since April of last year when I saw a video of sea turtle getting a straw removed from his nose. Back then I wrote: “Have you heard about the movement nicknamed Straw Wars? ‘National Skip the Straw Day’ took place in February so I’m late to the party. If you are too, let me introduce you to the cause. According to National Geographic Magazine Americans use 500 million plastic straws DAILY. They are a particularly insidious pollution because they are often the cause of death for marine animals. Plastic straws are an unnecessary pollutant because there are Eco-friendly wax coated paper straws and reusable stainless steel to take their place or we can go straw-less altogether.” 

Perhaps you’ve been in restaurants who’ve joined the war and either don’t automatically give you a straw or they’ve switched to paper or adult sippy-cups. Where I live, they are becoming common and when I pull out my paper straw young wait-staff are quick to offer positive reinforcement. The Millenniums are driving the Straw Wars into action in the food service industry and very quickly. Makes me think of a Bible verse. “…and a little child shall lead them.” They are social media savvy and are going to be a force to recon with as they take over the world. At least that's my hope. 

Trump plastic straws sold out the same day they were first offered and are on back order. And that begs the question: Will the Straw Wars become iconic? Will people a hundred years from now be standing on mounds of plastic garbage proclaiming victory or will the other side be shaking their heads and wonder how those who are opposing paper straws could have been so wrong-headed? You know, in the future when whales and dolphins no longer die with pounds of one-time use plastic in their tummies and plastic bags and straws no longer kill over 100,000 marine creatures and a million sea birds annually because they are either all instinct... or enough ordinary people in this decade cared and gave up their one-time use plastic and saving the planet snowballed from there. ©

29 comments:

  1. Let's see... if we were to explore people's attitudes about such things, we might start by taking a straw poll!

    This whole straw thing leaves me vaguely puzzled, when I even think about it, since I've never used straws on a regular basis. Obviously they can be useful for bedridden patients, or when driving, but I can't remember the last time I used one. I do remember they were useful back in the days when malts after school were the thing, so maybe all those frappucinos are a good reason to use one. I just don't know. Here's an idle thought: maybe in the beginning plastic straws were the solution to paper straws that collapse when used to drink a malt, and then the law of unintended consequences took over.

    I must say, I'm a little tired of the contemporary tendency to turn everything into a "war." If straws are an issue, convince me to change my ways, but don't beat me over the head with a hundred pound box of them! (Not that you are, but some do.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starbucks is fazing adult sippy cups in for frappucinos but not all areas have them yet but stainless steel works great on them. The kind of people who generally go to Starbucks are the kinds of people who support environmentally friendly living.

      I never drink in a public restaurant without a straw because too many fingers have touched the rims of glasses but it's been over a year that I've been discreetly using my own straws. I eat out a lot and, to me, it's a reminder that I've pledged to do better. I've even bought the mesh reusable bags for product at the grocery store but I'm not as successful at working them into my life on a regular basis.

      Delete
    2. Here's an unexpected update for you. I never go to Starbuck's, but I occasionally will stop by Chick-Fil-A for one of their good salads. Yesterday, I ordered a diet lemonade to go with the salad, and the person taking my order asked if I would like a straw with my drink. Hooray for them!

      Delete
    3. That's great! Always good to hear with the big chains start taking steps in the right direction to reuse one-time use plastic.

      Delete
  2. $15 for 10 plastic straws? There really is a sucker born every minute. Maybe Trump is not such a terrible businessman after all? Many years ago I bought a package of plastic straws at IKEA - I think it was $4 for about 100 of those things - the bendy kind, which were good for my husband when he was sick. Now I don't know what to do with them. I don't want to use plastic anything anymore either, and am trying to get it out of my life and my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those bendy kind are great for sick people. But the majority of plastic straws come from fast food places.

      I buy 200 paper straws at a time at Amazon for $7 and I'm almost ready to buy my 3rd box since I started using them 16 months ago. I use them more often than the stainless steel because I'm afraid I'll forget and leave the steel one behind in the restaurant when I leave. I mostly use that one at takeout windows. Many of the restaurants around here are doing the bio-degradable take home boxes now which is great to see and that's being pushed by the 'Straw Wars'. Ever little thing helps and adds up.

      Delete
  3. I lived in Germany 35 years ago and have used a shopping bag ever since for small orders.A meat bag, a bread bag and can bags. They can be laundered (in a regular batch- I hate wasting water), My current ones are from IKEA.
    As far as straws go, my mother in law washed her plastic ones and brought them to the local fast food place years ago. An amazingly frugal woman, she saw paper straws as a huge waste. She also taught me to ALWAY carry water (in a thermos) in the car. She lectured us all about the environment long ago.
    Back to Trump- if one would spend 15 bucks for straws, I doubt one will throw them out. People like my right wing farmer mother in law would have religiously washed them and used them everywhere she went. A practical solution. Steel is great. I assure you that there will be a political message on those in 10 months....
    I love reading you blog. It is good to " hear" all points of view. I am an independent . I am lumped into right wing by many bloggers because I really look for the best in people- even politicians. I try not to let the bickering be a part of my life, but sometimes it is difficult, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom was really ahead of her times, wasn't she. The hard times of our parent's generation made them into frugal people but she really understood the waste, didn't she.

      Trump straws are a novelty item that I'm betting most who buy them will ever open the package, thinking they will grow in value over time. Heck, if I was fan, I would buy them. I have a house full of political sovereigns from both parties. Bad investment, though.

      I can only go so long before I have to write a politically charged blog post, but for the most part I try to keep politics out of my blogs. Not easy to do in this day and age, is it.

      Anyway, thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  4. " How else would you describe a situation where you’re too busy living to write a blog but if you’re not a busy person you have nothing to write about?"

    How about Paradox?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I knew there was a better word, but I couldn't think of what that was.

      Delete
  5. If you stand back and take a longer view, it’s fascinating to see how the mainstream media wants to create conflicts and wars out of every issue. I do check headlines in the national papers but I am, for the most part, no longer reading my news from there. I do think that their reporting is not in step with people and they are trying to create the narrative but no longer so successfully.

    A lot of people have lost faith in “politics” generally and are attempting to reframe the communities that they live in. That’s my assessment and I think it’s a quieter but more effective revolution that will gradual change our world. Nothing I just said is new: I am a child of the 50’s and 60’s. It’s simply that a lot of human activity is a pendulum and we are working to swing left one straw at a time!

    Regards,
    Leze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would make a distinction between national newspapers/TV newscasts and cable pundits/social media news. The latter are more apt to want to "create conflicts and wars out of every issue." But in my mind, we have a president who is feeding the flames of the culture wars which just makes them appear bigger yet.

      That said, I believe in the pendulum theory of human activity.

      Delete
  6. WHO would want to read your blog?? How many hits do you get!! At least that many. So keep it coming! You get out and about way more than I do .. but that is changing in Aug (Village activities). I’m starting the Movie Group ... trying to come up with a catchy name ... Flick Friends!?

    I have reusable straws but often forget them. My purse is so small (Sash Bag) but I bet I could fit in one!!! Not a Trump one as I bet one end is WAY bigger than the other (the ego end)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL on the Trump straws.

      Our local club is just called The Movie and Lunch Club...explains it with no other words needed. Hope you are successful. I don't know why it wouldn't be. Our club clashes about doing it on cheap day for seniors and doing it the day after all the new movies are released each month. We've tried both but had more luck with the 3rd Fridays because more people showed up---less doctor appointments and other conflicts.

      You don't need to go anywhere for human contact, living with your busy little family.

      Delete
  7. As long as the American people vote Trump out. The world is in trouble now and to have him president 4 more years ( he's want to stay longer, King Trump ) is wrong, wrong and just wrong. Keep healthy Jean

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a sinking feeling more Russians will be voting in our next election than Americans.

      Delete
  8. Knowing there is a sea of plastic floating on the Pacific waters twice the size of Texas and 9 feet deep is enough for me. Paper please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that plastic float mind boggling! And they say it grows in size daily.

      Delete
  9. I'm sure the plastic Trump straws are offered as just another way to "piss off the Liberals" because they know his supporters will buy them for that purpose alone. The GOP has no environmental policy other than rolling back everything Obama did, whether it hurts the country and the world in general. "Owning the Libs" is more important, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I know you 'get it.' God, it would wear you out to live with a self-centered man like Trump, who constantly wants to stir things up.

      Delete
  10. I love it when you get political, personally. Probably because you and I are like-minded. And never worry about having something to blog...I would happily read your grocery list! But getting out and about while you can is important, too and if that also provides blog fodder it's a win-win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say that as joke but I think I actually did blog my grocery list once. LOL

      I'm glad we're kindred spirits in the political world. We liberals need a secret handshake.

      Delete
  11. I love your posts -- please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have completely given up eating fish, etc. The water of the world is so polluted that it is ridiculous. What trash we don't throw in the water we try shipping to some poor world country. I believe each county/state/city should have to keep it's own trash. That is the only way we will change our ways. If you have to drive by a garbage dump on the way to work each day you will have it on your mind. It the air you breathe is polluted with some from either methane or burning garbage you will think twice about how much garbage you create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked when I learner recently that we've been shipping out trash to third world countries. Thankfully, they are starting to get smart and refuse it. We can and must do better! I don't eat much fish either...once or twice a month at the most.

      I go by a landfill/dump from time to time and know exactly what you mean about the pollution they are adding to our air and probably to our ground water if those so-called liners they put down first start leaking.

      Delete
  13. Just read this humorous piece on the Washington Post website and thought you might enjoy it:

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-marie-kondo-would-tidy-up-our-presidential-candidates/2019/07/26/1a188d1e-afc3-11e9-bc5c-e73b603e7f38_story.html?utm_term=.9f27a9d81b9a

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed all the way through that article! What a clever bit of writing and it actually has sensible suggestions for making up our minds about the vast field of candidates. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  14. I don't use straws at all, I've become accustomed to just sipping all of my drinks from whatever glass or cup it's in, so I guess I'm doing my small 'Moderate' leaning part. *Smiles* I can so relate to the topic of this Blog Post. Now being a full time Caregiver I find that I'm so out of circulation most of the time that finding Blog Fodder becomes challenging and yet the dichotomy of having fullness of Life would mean I wouldn't possess the time to spend in The Land of Blog is my reality as well. Socially and as a form of personal expression I Love Blogging and was so delighted when my Grandchild introduced me to it. He knew I was the last of the Dinosaurs that wrote letters, never receiving any in return anymore. He thought perhaps if he helped me Create my Blog I'd get to Write again, include the Hobby of Photography and meet some people while mostly housebound caring for his ailing Grandpa, he and his little Sister. I was so proud of him setting up everything at the tender age of 9 at the time, Tech Genius Guru that he is, my Friends were impressed, many had paid handsomely for Professionals to set up their Websites. *LOL* He's grown now and moved out so I'm down to Two, his Sister and Grandpa... yet it does get lonely not having the ability to Socialize in Real Life so Blogging is Helpful to stay Connected. So glad to have discovered your Blog... so many have quit Blogging now that I was concerned it would also go the way of the Dinosaurs and I'd be one of the last??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we're not the last bloggers. I love the blog community because, like you, it keeps me connected and gives me opportunities for 'socializing.'

      I'm impressed that a nine year old could set up your blog for you and even come up with the idea for you in the first place. Great young man.

      I'll be by to check out your space, and thanks for all the comments.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.