Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Life in the 'Zipper' Lane


Levi’s stuff monkey must have diarrhea. He’s taken him outside three times this morning. Or maybe they’ve been fighting because all three times I’ve had to remind Levi to “get your baby” before coming back inside. In all the years we’ve been a “couple”---me and Levi---I’ve never been able to figure out how that dog decides which animal needs to go potty in the morning. His once favorite, a duck, hasn’t been outside in eons. His monkey and frog’s paw make it out a least once a week. Yes, I said ‘frog’s paw’. It used to be a whole frog bigger than Levi was at the time the frog joined the family but Levi kept beating it up and shortening its limbs and now that squeaky paw is all that survived. It will make the cut when it comes time to downsize Levi’s collection of stuffies. Oops, there’s that ‘D’ word I vowed not to use in so many future posts.

Since the ‘D’ word did come up I’ll just do one paragraph on the topic and then move on to other happenings this week. I opened up a filing cabinet drawer in the garage that I hadn’t opened in almost a decade and I was stunned to find three bundles of type-written papers containing copies of every single word I’d written at a once-very large stroke support website where I volunteered for 4-5years. The bundles stacked together measured eight inches tall! I had a ton of time-consuming, up-front and behind-the-scenes responsibilities on their message board plus I kept a blog there---was even on the board of directors---but eventually the site owner got so demanding it wasn’t funny. It’s a classic story of volunteerism, I suppose. You work hard, you’re good at what you do and they keep piling more and more work on until you call “uncle” and quit.

Make that two downsizing paragraphs…. Anyway, I let the bundles sit on my work table overnight trying to decide what to do with them. I've often said I wanted to write a book about that period of Don's and my life and there sat a treasure trove to help with that. On the other hand, I’m getting ready to open a new chapter in my life that, hopefully, will give me something more current to write about. I finally cut the bundles open, tore each sheet down the middle, mixed them all up and filled up my recycling box. Unless you’re a wanna-be writer, too, I don’t expect others to understand how truly difficult that downsizing decision was to make. But I have no regrets. Just seeing all those bundled up pages brought painful emotions to the surface and made me realize that no matter how much time passes I can’t go wading through the fine details of living on that website again.

New Topic: I think I shocked everyone in book club last week when I announced I’m dropping out. I like this group of women and they seem to like me, but I can’t concentrate on fiction when I have so much reading to do to research stuff I’m selling, and I won't be one of those members who never reads the books---too many of those in any book group. I’m sure they didn’t understand why I'm quitting now when I'm not moving anytime soon and I didn’t bother to explain how this is my last rodeo, so to speak, to make some money selling off my past. They did invite me to the summer luncheon in August and I will probably go. Maybe I'll bring my newly researched pair of 1899 handcuffs for show and tell. It's unique patent revolutionized police work.

Afterward, I went over to the office supply where I got a bunch of colored, stick-on dots to mark stuff in the house. Green dots go on stuff that gets moved with me, yellow goes on things I’ve identified to sell on e-Bay, blue stuff gets sold at the local auction house and so on. The dots will simplify the process so I’ll only have to glance at something to know a decision has already been made. Next I stopped by Bed, Bath and Beyond to look at dishes and bath towels. I’m not telling you why because I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve turned my sun porch into a Hope Chest of sorts. Okay, I’ll spill the beans on the towels; I bought new bath towels last winter but my new place will have two bathrooms with the same aqua color accents so I wanted to get more of the same towels while they’re still available and that will simplify my future laundry sorting days. Hey, I’m at my best when I’m living in the future. And dishes? That could be whole blog all by itself.

My cleaning girl is not very good at cleaning. But I love her for our great artsy-fartsy conversations. What does that say about me that I’ll clean my own sink drains after she leaves and this after I mentioned it to her in the past and I always leave an old tooth brush labeled “sink” down in the drain that’s calling out, “Clean me, clean me!” And this time I resorted to pulling the appliances away from the wall before she came or she’d just wash the countertop around them. I’ve decided I can’t be pleased. My last cleaning girl used to take everything off the countertop and set it all on the floor. Bugged the heck out of me that she was transferring yucky-do germs from the floor onto those nice, clean and sanitized counters when she’d put the stuff back where it came from. I finally spoke up about it but there again, I liked her and it was hard to be critical, knowing she had low self-esteem issues.

And so it goes living here in the 'zipper lane' where the past and present are merging until they are one and the same and they are creeping ever so slowly into my future.  ©

Levi and his monkey down for their afternoon nap.


25 comments:

  1. Wow, you are moving right along with getting ready to move. I can only imagine the feelings that stack of papers evoked and I think you made the right decision not taking that literal and figurative weight with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was proud of myself for not stopping to read papers here and there. I did keep six pages from all those pages that had headlines that caught my attention, but for the most part I tried not to even look at them. I did make the right decision, didn't I.

      Delete
  2. I very much understand how difficult it was to toss your writing. I smiled when I read how you mixed up the pages before putting them in the recycling. That step--necessary. I get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You being a retired writing teacher, I knew you'd understand. I have one more box in the basement that will get the same treatment. It's a box of two manuscripts of books I tried to write. That won't be hard at all to recycle. I have learned from that experience of writing them that fiction is not my forte. I did read them 3-4 years ago and barely remembered writing them. LOL

      Delete
  3. Love your stick on dots idea. Maybe incorporate it into your cleaning lady? With one color means for her to clean now and another means it can wait. Hey, I may use that on myself.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She pretty much has the same routine every time. She just isn't a detail person when it comes to cleaning. What I don't understand is why the parent company doesn't train them to all clean the same way. Their interview is to have them clean their house---it's a couple that runs the business.

      Delete
  4. Oh Levi! You have a great roommate in him, even if you aren't on the same wavelength on his decision making on who goes out with him! Pets are so fun!!!

    I love love love the "dot" idea. I have a friend whose father was dying and asked his five children over to choose which personal items they would like after he was gone. He assigned them each a color. They resisted for a while but after months of nagging, they thought what the heck. On his next birthday ... they each came dressed in their own color and his cake was decorated with those five colors of dots!

    Keep this D project going along. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what your friend's father did is a great idea. It's comforting to know that something you've treasured will be treasured by someone else.

      I pulled a muscle in my back today. Don't know how long that will keep me on the sidelines.

      Delete
  5. Ripping those pages down the middle and ditching them sort of made my heart stop. I have so many pages of "writing/journaling" that I should do the same with and just can't bring myself to throw away such meticulously documented parts of my life. My yoga practice tells me I'm attached to the past (and the eogic mind) and that those things do not truly exist so what's the big deal? But my very human and very egoic need to feel my life had meaning calls me to hang onto those files. Ah well...one day I'll be doing the "D" deed as well and then it will be time to let it all go....I like your idea that some bring up painful memories and you are moving toward a new beginning/life. That would definitely help to keep in mind. Like the whole "does it spark joy?" thing, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God, don't cite me "does it spark joy"! I still can't stand Marie Kondo's methods. LOL

      I don't think I will be able to throw away my diaries and journals quite as easier as I did those papers. It doesn't matter if we're not the same people we were when we wrote that stuff. That's the whole point in keeping them, in my mind, is to reminds us of our personal growth, Not an ego thing at all! That's the reason I don't do yoga. LOL

      Delete
    2. "Ego" in yoga isn't the idea of we think we are important like we think of people who have a "big ego". It's just the human/physical/mind part of us that gets in the way of our "true self" -- the Truth that we are spiritual beings in human bodies -- spiritually connected to all that was and ever will be....Universal Consciousness. That part is unattached to worldly concerns. I'm definitely not at that stage of Enlightenment. LOL

      Delete
    3. I don't think I could ever get unattached to worldly concerns but I've certainly been tuned out lately. I see yoga as bringing a person back to center from time to time, but I don't think anyone can stay in that place---and maybe we shouldn't. If we did, there would be no crusaders for change where change is needed. But you spend a LOT of time studying and learning and I don't so, people, listen to Donna and not me on this topic.

      Delete
    4. I'm doing a whole presentation at my yoga teacher training on 'yoga and activism' about this topic, so it's fresh for me. Yoga isn't an escape from worldly concerns, but does provide us a resting place to realize these concerns are fleeting and in the grand spiritual scheme of things not real. Still, our yoga philosophy calls us to ethical living and compassionate action in the here and now. To be true to my spiritual practice I have to take peaceful, lawful actions that contribute to the greater good of all. It's a hard paradox to hold.

      Delete
    5. You should post a video of the presentation on your Facebook page or blog.

      Delete
  6. Oh I loved reading all of this!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get that difficulty in deciding on whether or not to keep your notes for a book that may or may not happen. It was hard and I admire your fortitude.

    Sometimes I want to drop out of my book club too. Interestingly enough, I like everyone, I like that we are politically and socially in synch. Mostly I just don't like having to read a specific book by a specific time. I'm missing all summer being at the lake. Maybe I'll be ready by fall.

    Thanks for all your visits and comments. I don't have your email to reply personally but I always love what you have to say and it means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I laughed at your disposal of that stack of papers. It brought memories of the time I looked at the two-foot stack of unread New Yorker magazines and thought, "There is no way I am going to get 'caught up' with those things." I took them to the dumpster threw them in, and breathed a sigh of relief.

    It was almost as big a sigh of relief as the one I heaved this afternoon when the Comcast tech guru finally got me set up again, after three days of no internet connection. Somewhat ironic, actually -- to write about the NYC blackout and then have my internet go down. Maybe I shouldn't tempt fate by saying so, but I'll take a power outage over an internet outage any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was overwhelming to think about reading all those pages.

      I'll take an internet disconnect over a power outage any day. But don't like either one.

      Delete
  9. Dear Jean, I'll use the D word for downsizing and decluttering! I'm trying to do both as I age so that my family will not have to deal with all my "stuff" when I die. I hope I have a number of years left, and if I do, I hope to live them in simple, spare surroundings! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good knowing I won't be leaving all this work for someone in my family. I'm sure you feel the same way

      Delete
  10. I didn't quite get the zipper line in the title but once you explained I thought it was the most perfect description. You are doing so well on your organizing. I live the color coded system. I imagine it relieves so much stress to see so many items with decisions made. You have such an eclectic mix of items to sell. I can see that research would take a significant amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michigan just started using zipper lanes this year and I wasn't sure when I used it on this blog if others from other states would get it. I've watched the video of how it's supposed to work work but have not had to do it yet. It looks scary going at expressway speeds.

      'Eclectic' is a good word. I'm constantly being surprised by how much things have gone up (or down) since we bought stuff decades ago.

      Delete
  11. I've had that feeling of relief when you decide that a writing/research project is in your past, not your future, and it's okay to get rid of all that stuff. And I still have leftover colored dots from my post-retirement move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a sense of relief to give myself permission to say goodbye to one dream that would have taken a lot of time and effort living in the past. It frees me up to dream new dreams. It was like when I read through all my pen pal letters to Vietnam soldiers then sent the letters off to the war letters museum. Just because I've had life experiences that I think would have made a good book, doesn't mean I have to write them. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.