Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Wandering Texas


My living room is one big souvenir box of our many vacations out West. In 1990 we went to Texas and came home with lots of great memories in addition to ‘stuff’ I’m now selling off. I wanted to attend a Book Lover’s Convention in San Antonio that year and Don was more than willing to go along. I was a member of the Romance Writers of America back then and the convention drew 600 ladies and a couple dozen men. Don loved being one of those guys at the book fair portion of the three day event and he was such a good sport. I’d given him an autograph book and a list of author’s tables where I wanted him to visit and he dutifully---probably gleefully---stood in lines while I went to workshops and lectures. He’d never read a romance book in his life, but he could talk the talk; he’d been the proof-reader for my bi-monthly book review newsletter for over a decade. It was a subscription publication that started out as a campaign against rape scenes is books labeled ‘romance' and it grew into a 28 page “newsletter” by the time I had to give it up to make time to share-care my dad.

Wandering the back roads of Texas before and after those days in San Antonio was an eye-opener. We came back knowing that although Affirmative Action seemed to have out-grown its usefulness in Michigan that sure wasn’t the case in Texas. For example, in a town too small for a traffic light we were in a store waiting to pay for something when a siren started blasting. Don asked the shop owner, a man in his mid-forties, what the siren was for and the man laughed and answered: "That’s the siren for the volunteer fire department. One blast for the white side of Main Street, two blasts for the businesses on Main Street and three blasts for the black side of Main Street. That one’s three blasts and no one is going to answer that one.” There was no shame in that admission, no hint that there was anything but delight in the man’s voice. Don and I looked at each other, set our would-be purchase down and walked out.

But we met some great people in Texas, too. One couple who befriended us had invited us to a party and to this day I regret being too chicken or polite or stupid to accept their offer. It was a party for Ann Richards who was elected the governor of Texas the following month. We’d never heard of her before, didn’t know how outrageous and dynamic she was. Didn’t know how important she’d become to the Democratic Party in later years. But I can image what would have happened if Don and Ann had gotten the chance to swap stories. He could out-story anyone and just the thought of those two together makes me grin. 

Texas was full of colorful character back then. Late one afternoon we ran into a guy who owned an antique store and he had a steer head scull on the porch that Don wanted to buy. The guy wouldn’t sell it to him but he said, “Come back tomorrow. I’ve got twenty-five more coming in the morning.” “If you’ve got more coming tomorrow,” Don replied, “why won’t you sell me that one today?” “I can’t”, the guy answered, “if I sell that one, I won’t have any left until tomorrow.” Around and around they went and we left without a bleached-out scull. Up here in Michigan, if you have a customer with cash in hand, you take it. We did get a steer head in our travels that year, probably a slander house special and it still hangs in the living room today. 

Another interesting encounter we had happened when we’d stumbled into a bar full of Native Americans one Saturday night while trying to find a place to get a thermos filled. All I can say is I was glad there was a BIG guy there wearing a badge. He stuck to us like glue until we got our business done and was out of the place. At one point when one of the locals challenged Don to a game of pool the big guy answered for Don that we were just passing through. Under his breath he was probably adding, “just a couple of dumb-ass tourists who think they’re Roy Roger and Dale Evans.’

From the back roads of Texas we picked up a couple of phrases that became part of our permanent vocabularies. One of those phrases we heard repeated by five-six guys was, “I’m a multi-millionaire, you know.” Over the years as Don and I would reminisce about wandering Texas those words would come bubbling out of our mouths. Another phrase we came home with was, “Don’t ever start buying food. Once you start, you’ll never stop!” We had run into a woman picking through garbage cans one night while walking the dog. She liked us and gifted us with that little bit of philosophy and many times over the years when we’d be going into a grocery store, one of us would say, “Muriel was right. Once you start buying food, you can’t stop.” We heard the next day that Muriel owned half the closed-up stores in that tiny town where she ate out of the garbage cans.  

When you go off the beaten tracks of any state you come home with quirky stories to tell and that's the way we always traveled. ©

Photo: That's my living room with cow's scull mixed in with the art work.

24 comments:

  1. Great post - felt I was with you! As for the "campaign against rape scenes" there's a book prize (think it's UK based) called The Staunch Prize for books in which a woman or girl is NOT beaten, stalked, raped or murdered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about the Staunch Prize. I wasn't protesting all books with violence towards women, just the ones that were marketed as 'romances' where the woman would end up falling in love with her rapist. They just send the wrong message out to young girls. I don't read the genre anymore but I'm pretty sure that's changed over the years. My campaign caught the eye of more than a few published authors and one of them strongly defended the use of violence against women as prelude to marriage/love and three years later she was killed by her husband.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful memories! We also have a few catch phrases from travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different areas of the country do have their own way of talking, don't they.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting life you have led and such great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never make up my mind what I wanted to be when I grew up so I have tried a bunch of things. Mostly, I just fell into stuff. LOL

      Delete
    2. I agree. Such an interesting life! Thanks for sharing your memories.

      Delete
    3. Aww, you guys are too kind to say that. We just called it a busy life...came from both my husband and I being the babies in families that lived through very hard times and never wanting to let an opportunity pass us by.

      Delete
  4. Yikes, that "three blasts" gave me the horrors. Had to smile at the cow heads. I have a couple that I got from reading ranch meters. And the rich lady scavenging food reminded me of a fragile old lady I saw in a beat up car that was getting gas ahead of me. I offered the attendant, who was a friend, to let me pay for her gas. He laughed and said she owned the station. Sometimes you can't tell by looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that most millionaires look very ordinary and live a modest life! What an adventurous life with Don! You could have fodder for a whole other blog!!!! Or maybe once a month on this blog ... The Traveling Collectors

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've forgotten more than I remember about our 42 years together and some of it is still too private to share without someone recognizing themselves. LOL But we've had some great times.

      Delete
  6. What great stories. Andy's father's first teaching job was in Texas but he and Andy's mom couldn't stand the ways the blacks were treated, so they left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why. When we were in Texas we pulled into a gas station and three grown black guys came out to check our oil, pump the gas and wash the windows. When they were through a white guy came out to collect our money. We were shocked. Never saw anything like that here in the north.

      Delete
  7. What great slice-of-life stories, Jean! Keep 'em coming please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been blogging since 2002-3 (?) and it's hard to know what I've written about and what I haven't. Unfortunately, my first blog was on a site where it got purged and that's where most of my memories were recorded.

      Delete
  8. I just love those phrases that pop up through some shared experience and they continue forever. Not everyone "gets" them and that's part of the fun. (Though at times one may have to explain!) These are such fun stories and great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all your travels I'm sure you and Rick have a lot of phrases that put a smile on each other's faces when they pop out.

      Delete
  9. I loved Ann Richards, I would have gone to that party! But if you weren't aware of her that would have been a fun surprise for you both!
    'When you go off the beaten tracks of any state you come home with quirky stories to tell and that's the way we always traveled.' Jean that is the only way to travel. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people don't travel that way though. We once took 6 days to get from Michigan to Georgia and our friends always measured the trip in hours of straight through driving. Lots of people don't have the time where we had 3 weeks of vacation time.

      Delete
  10. Texas. 'Nuff said. LOL But Ann Richards -- WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You gotta get off the inter-state highways to really "know" a State.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, that's the truth. I missing traveling with Don. I always felt safe with him no matter what we got ourselves into.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.