Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, September 7, 2019

Miss Patriotic Me



Over Labor Day weekend, among other things, I sorted two boxes of bicentennial souvenirs that had been in the basement since we moved in and were in an attic before that. Don and I were somewhat naïve about collectibles back in 1976. We thought they'd make us rich in retirement if we kept every single thing we came across that was put out for the 200th birthday of our nation. And I do mean everything---dry cleaning bags, French fry and hot dog boxes, pencils and pens, marble paper weights, newspapers, plans for planting bicentennial gardens and building floats, Pepsi cans, beer cases, wind chimes, bells, Jim Beans liquor bottles, quilt patterns, paper dolls, flags, White House building kits, pill boxes, dishes and plates. And it goes without saying that we bought every postage stamp and coin set put out by the mint---and there were many. We thought we were 'investing' wisely but what we didn’t factor into the equation is that a lot of other people had the same idea. Bottom line: we wasted our money if you only look at it like an 'investment' gone kaput.  

But, boy did we have fun that year! Don and I were only six years into our relationship at the time and still very much acting like carefree kids even though we were in our 30s. 1976 was a summer filled of bluegrass festivals and going to every bicentennial celebration we could find---and we had a bicentennial guide book to help us find them. We signed copies of the constitution, we put poems in time capsules and we watched parades and fireworks. Every weekend, all summer long was party time. I even had a long, flowing hippy style dress that I made out of white homespun-like fabric that had little liberty bells, dates and flags all over it. I loved wearing that dress! I practically lived in it that year and I still have it hanging in my closet.

As I sat in the garage going through the boxes, my memories of that summer of '76 made me happy and I decided that was my pay-off for saving all that stuff. I hadn’t opened those boxes for 43 years but when the fun of unpacking was over, about a third of it went in the trash because the quality of papers were never meant to be kept that many years. Popcorn bags? What was I thinking? We even had a 43 year old condom with a bicentennial flag on the cellophane. I wasn’t particularly fond of finding that in poor condition because there’s a healthy collectors market for vintage condoms tins. I sold nearly dozen for $25 to $95 each 2-3 years ago. But I was excited when I found the photo at the top of this post. It’s an 8” by 10” and it was taken in a town so small half the people who lived there were in the 4th of July parade while the other half looked on. People lined up to get our photos taken in front of that flag and we had to wait for them to come in the mail. I wish it showed the pattern in my hippie dress. Still, I love that photo and the eye brows I had back before they turned gray. Heck, I wish I could still fit in that dress. 

About the only thing of any real collector value in our bicentennial stuff is the wooden beer case half the stuff was packed in. It will bring fifty to seventy bucks at the local auction house so I put a few bicentennial dogs inside and am sending them off to sell as one unit. A local newspaper dated July 4th 1976 was sent as a stand-only auction item and I did the same with an unopened 5th of whiskey in a bicentennial decanter. How they get away with selling liquor without a liquor license is a mystery, but it's not the first unopened whiskey bottle I've sold that way. I suspect it's the aged contents, not the collector's edition bottles people are bidding on. A few of the coins got listed on e-Bay and I grouped a big bunch of the bicentennial things together to sell as a junk drawer lot. People who buy junk drawer lots fascinate me. Sometimes they'll e-mail questions about stuff that I have no idea what they are and neither do they, but they end up bidding on the lot anyway. They must be like my husband was. He loved owning unidentifiable objects and would spend whatever time it took to figure out its purpose. Today, with Google images it’s easier but it’s not helping me with any of the mystery items I’ve unearthed while downsizing.

The bicentennial downsizing project took too long but it is what it is. I love that I now have a photograph of me wearing my all-time favorite dress and the photo documents, in a meaningful way, the best summer of my life---the summer I was little Miss Patriotic. I love that it was all but forgotten for four decades so I can look at the image now with fresh eyes and see the artistic quality. The balance and starkness of the blacks and whites is striking, don't you think. And maybe you won't be able to see it in the small image up above but in the 8" x 10" you can see that I'm wearing a Mona Lisa smile and I'm not telling anyone what that smile was all about....  ©

32 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it brought back such wonderful memories. :) It's a great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this photo brings back all the memories for you, of a fun-filled year. And what a lovely photo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great memories and picture! Downsizing should have more of both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monk, Badass and Juhli: I'm pretty sure I'm going to put that photo in a frame and hang it in the laundry room where I can see it often. I hope people won't think that's vain but it makes happy every time I see it and I'm going to ride that train as long as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - whatever makes us smile is so valuable. And who cares if someone else things you are vain - that is their problem IMO.

      Delete
    2. Oh, but I am vain about some things. Like I'd sooner leave the house without a bra on than without my penciled in eyebrows. LOL That and lip gloss are all I ever use.

      Delete
  5. Isn't it amazing of how much material we keep ( I didn't say junk because it would never be junk )in our life. We don't realize about how much until we decide to move. I dread the day that I have to move. Dear Lord. I'm trying to start right now but I can't believe all the material that I have over 44 years.
    See ya Miss Patriotic. I love it Jean. You are amazing.


    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing, the amount of material stuff one can collect in a lifetime. I think one of the reasons why it's so important to me to find homes for my stuff is so I won't feel like I've wasted so much time and money. Guilt drives me at this point in the progress. Later on, I suppose a time crunch will have me trashing more and selling less.

      Delete
  6. One photo, when it sparks good memories, is wonderful. I like your photo of your collectibles, too. Talk about having one consistent color scheme and theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We learned a value rule of collecting from buying all the bicentennial stuff and that rule still applies today: If they market something as a collectible, then it's never going to be value after the initial first ten years when people are trading to get the whole set of something. There are exceptions to that rule---like old baseball cards---but not every many.

      I just bought a photo/mat poster that holds 38 photos and at some point in time I'm going to fill it with special photos to hang in my future laundry room. If I ever have to move to memory care it will be easier than a bunch of smaller frames to move with me. And I'll get to enjoy them more than having them stuck in an album.

      Delete
  7. So glad you are going to frame that photo and keep it where you can see it. I was going to suggest that. You guys were serious collectors. Be interesting(and practically impossible) to log what you get for them against what you paid for them and see what your profit margin is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we had antique booths in malls I had software that could track that information, especially designed for antiques and collectibles. Plus my husband had a memory like an elephant. People say that all the time but it really was true of him. He did really well, espeically with his passion of gas station memorabilia. It was also not unusual for him to pay more than someone was asking because he knew it was terribly under-priced. He was the most ethical person I ever met besides my dad.

      Delete
  8. Any chance of a color photo of the dress if it's still in your closet? I'd love to see the pattern on it.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea but it will have to wait until I downsize in my closet next winter. It's way to the back and hard to get at. I have a couple of other outfits I'd like to document at the same time so no doubt I'll write about post about them.

      Delete
  9. OMG the 43 Year Old Bicentennial Condom put me over the Top LMAO! But, yes, despite the Investment having gone awry from a Financial Standpoint, from a Quality Time Investment and a Memories Investment it was a truly Priceless and therefore MORE than worth whatever you Invested. Wise Investment since Time and Memories are worth far more than mere $$$, which can always be had to some degree, but not Time and Lost Opportunities to make Memories! I Loved this Post and I Thank You again for enduring mine even tho' it's mos def not your Thing. *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that I've finally found a fellow collector out in cyberspace. We understand each other's passions...same park different ballgames so to speak. And if anyone out there loves Halloween you need to check out Dawn's last few posts.

      Delete
  10. PS: The Mystery of what that Mona Lisa Smile was all about is tantalizing! *winks*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think it's vain at all, especially since it is a photo that brings back such great memories. I think you should hang it in your bedroom. After all, that's your private boudoir; it should be all about you and your happiness and refuge.

    It's a marvelous photo. It deserves a spot of honour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My wedding date was July 4, 1976. We missed our 42nd anniversary by a week when my husband died last summer. We always pretended that the fireworks and hoopla were for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great date to pick for a wedding! I think kids that are born on the 4th of July pretend the same thing about the fireworks.

      Gosh, you're just barely out of first stage of widowhood. Hope it gets easier now that you've passed the dreaded first anniversary.

      Delete
  13. Memory Lane is a long and winding road. You make it sound like fun! The Ultimate Collectors. Rich and famous people put their portraits up in their homes ... we you can too!! We did a three week driving/camping tour from Ohio to the Pacific and then home. MEMORIES are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it is fun, sometimes not.

      Your trip sounds fabulous! I used to love camping. Not sure I could do it anymore or with two little boys. You deserve a metal.

      Delete
    2. THAT trip was 1976. Every third day we'd find an affordable motel for a REAL shower. No kids but we did bring my 16 year old sister!! It was fabulous. No set plan and we just winged it!

      A 6 hour road trip with two boys was plenty for me!

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you cleared that up. I was feeling like a wimp. LOL

      Delete
  14. That photo is wonderful. I love your comment about the eyebrows- me too. Wasn't life fun when we were young and innocent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. We grew up in innocent times, especially compared to what the kids now days face. I still miss my eyebrows. What I have grows too long in the wrong color. LOL

      Delete
  15. Your collections are truly interesting.
    And after reading about your collections for weeks, I finally realized that I have held on to a few things. I still have the tickets and booklet from when I went to Woodstock. But some years ago I checked on line and it seems that lots of people who attended kept their tickets and booklets. They aren’t worth selling.
    I also have a collection of baseball cards from the 50’s and 60’s which I don’t want to sell because they are my collection from when we used to flip cards and trade. There are memories there that I want to hold on to. I assume a few of those cards might have some value as I was a kid in NYC and collected the Yankees during their good years!
    Memories!
    Regards,
    Leze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your collection is wonderful because not only will those cards hold their value or go up. But you also have strong memories attached to those cards plus they don't take up much room. I hope you have them in an album so you can tell right away if any come up missing. A friend of mine has a baseball card collection and was showing it to someone and that person took one. He wouldn't have noticed right off if it had been a stack of cards but he saw the empty slot in his album and the police got involved before the thief even got aback home. My friend got his card back.

      Delete
  16. It’s true that making memories is the best investment we can make — and you found a treasure trove of them. And you recognized the true value of your collection in the process of visiting it all again. How wonderful. I love the photo with your Mona Lisa smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's funny but I don't seem to be able to access my memories without physical ques. I've been that way all my life. So it was truly fun to go through those boxes. And now that I have that photo I'll always be able to remember that summer.

      Delete
  17. That dress brought back memories for me too. I recall girls wearing peasant dresses. I liked them. I remember too the braless age. The peasant dresses and the braless age were a match made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they were for guys. LOL They were also good for privacy when you had to pee in a field.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.