Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, November 14, 2020

The Week of the Bleeding Checkbook

 I hate to make phone calls. Always have, always will. It takes me days to work up the courage, even then they get moved from one ‘To Do’ list to another until I get the job done. I usually save a bunch of calls to make back to back because my ‘courage days’ don’t come around all that often. I needed to schedule appointments for fall maintains jobs around the house and since the businesses all got called within an hour of one another the appointments all got on my day planner one day after another. Side note: My husband was surgically attached to his phone and hated to write letters. I love writing letters and treat my phone like its Typhoid Mary. It was a match made in heaven.

First came the carpet cleaners and $225 later I had three rooms cleaned, Scotch-Garded and deodorized. My carpets are a light grey, commercial grade that have held up well and that Scotch-gard treatment is well worth the extra charge because it keeps the dog’s vomit sitting right on the top and easy to clean with a little Resolve Pet Cleaner. Levi vomits more than all the other dogs I’ve ever had put together but he hates the foods the vet suggests for dogs with touchy stomachs. Mr. Carpet Cleaner, by the way, told me Nature’s Miracle Cleaner is better than Resolve.

Next came a new house cleaning service. After I lost my old service, I had decided not to replace them and do my own cleaning again, but this company fell in my lap when I mentioned the loss to the son-I-wish-I-had. “My sister has a service,” he told me. Color me embarrassed because I didn’t even remember he has a sister! Turns out she not only has a cleaning service but she covers the entire county. She sends out two person teams and they were in and out in an hour for only $50. But the cherry on the top was the fact that they get down on their hands and knees to scrub floors. My old service wouldn’t do that---I asked. They’d just spray some cleaner on the floor then use a microfiber mop to blend all the dirt together. My new, rock star cleaner changed the water pail five times in my kitchen. This on a floor that had so-called been cleaned a month ago by my old service. It looks so good now! It hadn’t been scrubbed on hands and knees since before my husband died when I could crawl up the side of his wheelchair (with him in it) to get off the floor. Having two fake knees and a bad elbow puts a crimp on any activity that requires me to be on the floor or ground…cleaning, gardening, laying out quilt blocks, reading the Sunday newspaper, filming commercials where I get to say, "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!"

The following day was Sump Pump day. It costs $165 just to have the plumbing company come out to check it and for another $200 to replace it. It was out of warranty and even though it was working "okay," he said, I wasn’t about to take a chance on another basement flooding. Once was enough. Weighing the $365 up against the $3,000 cost of having another flooded basement pumped out the decision was easy.

The last maintenance service call was to get ready for our Michigan winter, the yearly furnace check that they suck you into getting with a $98 coupon. I’ve used the same company for years so I knew in recent years they'd often find something they can replace so they can tack on a few extra bucks. My furnace is eighteen years old so whatever petty part they say needs replacing I go for it rather than spend the winter worrying it will let me down when we’re having near zero temperatures outside. This year it was suggested that instead of waiting for a break down, I should be proactive and replace the blower motor and inducer motor at a cost of $1,275. Wow, I was not used to hearing numbers that high! I told him I'd take my chances but that next day I reversed that decision and called them back. A housing inspector---next year when I sell the place---will discover those motors are only working at 80% and I'm worried a buyer could demand I put in a new furnace for $6,000+ and what happens if the pandemic causes shortages should one of those motors belly out on me this winter? It also makes sense for me to continue doing what I'd normally do to maintain the house until the day I close on it, take no shortcuts because who knows what might happen down the road in these uncertain times we're living through.

Most of my life I was spoiled when it came to doing home maintenance. Between my dad and my husband they could do any project around a house. With nearly two decades since my husband's stroke and me being in charge of hiring everything done I find myself smiling every time I get to say to myself, “That’s the last time I’ll ever have to do that!” And I’ve been saying it a lot during my week of the bleeding checkbook. By this time next year I’ll just have to call maintenance to do everything from changing a light bulb to hanging a TV to fixing a washing machine. If only they would add dog vomit removal to their menu of services I’d be happy camper.  ©

44 comments:

  1. I also hate phoning people too! and, if given the choice, prefer to shoot off an e-mail rather than phone.

    I never had a handyman around the house so nothing to miss there. I hate tradies passionately! The good ones (and yes, have had a couple) are as rare as hen's teeth.

    I can readily understand your feelings about no more house maintenance in the future. ~ Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fine on the phone if other poeople initiate the call first. Now days with so many ways to contact someone it's kind of weird---phone, text, email, Facebook messenger. I saw funny comedy routine about people who use them all within on conversation. It started something like: "I left a message on his phone, he followed up with email. I texted him back and he messenger me his reply. Then I called him on the phone..." Sometimes it feels like that when you try to figure out who likes which means of communications best.

      As for the trades... House cleaners are the scariest because they are right up in your business. But my sister-in-law had some serious issues with home-health care workers taking real advantage of her...stealing money and other things and using her credit card. She was afraid to confront them or turn a complain to their into their bosses so she'd change services instead.

      Delete
  2. Whew! At least those jobs are off your list, and you have a great house cleaner. Fingers crossed things go smoothly from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and these cleaners will do windows too and help pack for moving and their rates are only $25 an hour compared to one moving place I called who wanted $75 an hour for packers. She said they've clean whatever you want with no restrictions where other places have lists of stuff they won't do like windows, walls and deep cleaning floors.

      Delete
  3. OMG, am I so happy to hear other people say they hate to make phone calls. I did even as a teenager back in the dark ages and still do. Good for you for getting all these things done. You are right though that you may well be asked to give a credit to the buyer for replacing the furnace. Do you have disclosure laws for sellers? Making it clear up front how old things are (or how new for that matter) gives you leverage though and it sounds like your house is in a desirable market. Hoping for a bidding war for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know the only things you have to disclose are prior floods and roof leaks but housing inspectors are very thorough and will find any other flaws that need fixing or replaced. They can't force you to do them but they can cause a buyer's financing to fold like a deck of cards and loss the sale. Both realtors told me for $500 you can buy insurance on all the old appliances in the house guaranteeing that they will last one year which is a common bargaining chip for a buyer to ask for.

      Delete
  4. I certainly appreciate your attitude on phone calls. When I was employed, I would walk 5 buildings across our huge campus to avoid picking up the phone. I cannot sweat to cool off; but, talking on the phone produces volumes of under-arm sweat.

    I've always done nearly all of our maintenance (that not being something Hunky Husband ever cared to do); but, this year, at age 82, I broke down and called a highly recommended handy man. I could keep him on full-time, for a while; but, I can't have him do the inside jobs with the virus roaring around. He's fine with doing the outside jobs, for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a fear of phones. Not sure if it's a fear of rejection or fear we'll have nothing to say.

      Here, all the service people that come inside have been masking up. It's state mandated but even if it's not you can require when you hire someone. Virus or no virus.

      Delete
  5. I don't envy you or your checkbook having to take care of all these things. But good for you getting on top of these things and getting them done. I hope they'll all pay off handsomely for you in the sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sold so much stuff this past summer my checkbook hardly noticed the extra payments and I look at sump pump and furnace parts as one less problem that could come up when the house goes up for sale.

      Delete
  6. Yes, 'til the season, and you are reminding me of all the reasons we wanted to sell. The annual water system tune up, the furnace tuneups, etc. You are smart to keep them up in anticipation of selling. We needed a new furnace six months before we listed our house, and even though it was a kick in the slats, it did turn out to be a good selling point. Ditto the roof, etc. UGH. We stopped looking at what we had into that house after about 5 years, because we basically ended up rebuilding it. But we loved the location and had no trouble selling, so there is that. I'm sure you will do well and next year at this time, you can relax and let someone else maintain everything. :-)

    As for finding a good cleaning person - what a godsend. I once had a cleaning woman that I still remember with awe. For now, I'm it. But I do understand the knee issue. Mine are marginal and not getting better. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did debate whether or not I should bite the bullet and put in a new furnace but the furnace company has replaced so many parts in the last three years there was nothing left to go wrong with it...once I get those blowers in next week. Everyone says this house will sell fast because it ticks so many people's boxes. Timing a listing so the closing will happen before I need the money close on my new unit is the scariest part. But I will apply for a home equity loan as a backup plan.

      The place I'm moving into has their own cleaning company that you can hire (or not) for twenty-five a month. I'm going to try them. A cleaning service is the best gift I ever gave myself.

      Delete
  7. One more comment...our sump pump gave out one Easter morning when we prepping for brunch for 17 people. DH ran to Home Depot and spent the morning replacing it (with a few choice verbal explosions) while I did all the prep work alone. Phew. Best to replace it if there is any chance it's on its last legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first sump pump lasted 12-13 years and gave out that year so many of our downtown businesses got flooded on their lower levels. Places that never had a water issue before or since got flooded. I think my 2nd sump pump (5-6 years old) would have been fine but I just didn't want to chance it because, like you found out, things like that never quit working when it's convenient. In my old house my hot water heater gave out on the morning of my mom's funeral. Got a new one here last year.

      Delete
  8. All painful if necessary and have to make you feel pretty secure about the coming winter. Terrific about the house cleaners. It seems an excellent work ethic runs in the family. Wish they traveled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sister said they'll clean anything including my car, walls, oven, closets and basement if I want.

      Delete
  9. I just paid for a new roof, gutters, and had some faded trim re-sided. It was a large amount but I figured "I will never have to do this again". Those will be fine for as long as I might be in my home. I don't know when or if I will move but it is the beginning of "getting ready". How nice it will be for you when you do not have to worry about every little thing that can go wrong in a house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A roof is a major event and you are right to get the big things out of the way first.

      Delete
  10. I hate phone calls also! What is with that? Gosh you are getting a lot done each and every day. You will be so happy at moving time. Maybe you could keep your new cleaning service when you move? Those are the right people to hire! Willing to do anything. AND affordable. Great find. Thanks for blogging even when you are so busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Look how many of in this thread don't like making phone calls. Mine has gotten worse as I've gotten older and I'm never sure what words will come out of my mouth.

      It's a possibility I can keep the same service. I'll cross that bridge when I get there...and they've only cleaned here once but I trust my opinion won't change about them...

      Delete
  11. I understand completely! Seriously, it took me weeks to finally call just to make an appointment to simply drive the car 3 blocks to get the oil changed!! I put it off, and put it off...then, the oil light comes on the dashboard and calls me a stupid old lady and that I shoulda done it months ago. Well, la di da!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like making phone calls either to businesses or other people I'm not acquainted with. I think it's because you don't get any visual feedback from them like you would if you were talking to them in person. But becoming a widow required (and continues to require) a LOT of phone calls so I'm kind of overcoming that... somewhat.

    I had to have a crown replaced and then my water heater crapped out so there went almost $2000 right there. But, both things were money well spent. At least I can eat and take a hot shower. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your phone calls are getting easier. You're right, newly minted widows have to make a ton of phone calls. I kept a log that first year, just found it recently in my purging process.

      Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and replace things like hot water heaters. They never quit working at a convenient time.

      Delete
  13. A new furnace could be a selling feature for your house - give it a competitive edge..or not. I don’t know your market. Good luck, Jean!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a seller market in my area right now so houses have competitive bids wars early in their listings, but if it were a buyer market then I would have probably considered a brand new furnace. I hope that doesn't change any time soon.

      Delete
  14. Now I'm wondering why I don't hate the phone. I email or phone, and that's it. No texting, except VERY occasionally. Maybe once every week or ten days, and then only in response to someone. I did try video chatting a couple of times, but didn't like it, and I've never had to join a Zoom call, so I haven't. Recently, I did have my first experience of signing a document electronically. If that starts being the norm, I'm going to have to get myself a stylus to use on my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hate video chatting and I don't plan to ever do a Zoom call, if I can avoid it. My doctor wanted to do one last spring. I don't mind texting at all especially since I learned to use 'voice' to type. I thought my phone was possessed yesterday because it was typing words I wasn't saying...off the TV playing in the background. LOL The pandemic is going to permanently change the way we do a lot of things, I'm guessing.

      Delete
  15. Jean:

    glad you found great cleaning service & you are so organized & doing right thing in fixing your furnace before it breaks on you. My husband is also very organized & when our AC broke he went ahead & replaced water heater, furnace everything, since we were getting good deal instead of waiting it to fail & I have seen some of our neighbors not doing it & just fix one thing & wait for next to break it before fixing & hen unnecessary headaches of water in basement cause water heater broke or something else. like us all this appliances come with shelf life & he has foresight of getting them replaced before it becomes big issue. maybe being young & in technical field I love ll these new technology advances. our family has weekly family zoom call every weekend. whats-app face-time video call has made life so easy, we don't feel we are so away from rest of our family here. I am so lookig forward to your moving to CCC place & starting this another new phase of your life.

    Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband has always impressed me as being a compassionate, moral person with a big heart. Now I find out he's smart too. It makes more sense to me to replace things before they break down when at all possible.

      Delete
  16. Always feels like there is more money going out them coming in and I am sure I am not alone feeling that way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can relate. Home expenses (gutter guy) and then new glasses and a new crown shot the Visa bill into four figures. Fa la la!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is always like that for me. Money goes out while I hunker down for winter where I don't spend much at all.

      Delete
  18. I can't wait for you to luxuriate in having to only call Maintenance for everything my Friend! I am all to familiar with the Bleeding Checkbook. If I didn't still own so much Cargo and be raising a Grandchild, I'd very likely opt for Living Small again. *LOL* Your Posts always make me Smile with the Gallow's Humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will really be nice, especially if the maintenance department is responsive in a timely manner. The reviews from people who live in the condo part of the CCC say they are very good but the cleaning service "leaves something to be desired" so I might not be using their in-house cleaners...but they are very cheap, being a non-profit place.

      Delete
    2. Try all their Services and form your own Opinions... sometimes the critiques other people give have not been my particular experience so I always form my own opinions based on my personal experiences. You could use their in-house Cleaners part of the time and if they are not stellar, you could supplement with the occasional Deep Clean by someone else that might cost more?

      Delete
    3. That's exactly what I thought I'd do. Start out with their cleaning services and if I need a deeper cleaning every so often. Judging the quality of services is a subjective thing when they don't give examples of what they didn't like. I always the one star book reviews and find so many unfair comments. Then I read the four stars and skip all the others.

      Delete
    4. Services and People can be very subjective, can't they? I have liked people that others cannot get along with more than I've often liked popular people that everyone got along with. The same with Services... I think, in part, how a Client treats The Help is very indicative of how The Help treats them. We treat everyone how we expect to be treated as Human Beings and it goes a long, long way... just because I'm Hiring someone doesn't make me feel Superior to them or like some freakin' 'Master' over them... but unfortunately, a lot of The Help have told me their Average Client does just that. You'd be surprised what Service related people have voluntarily Shared with me about Clients when they compliment our Family on how much better we've treated them and how much they have enjoyed Working WITH us and not just feeling like they Work FOR us.

      Delete
  19. I hate talking on the phone so that part of getting someone to show up and do things *correctly* is the worst for me. Well that and paying for all those services. I smile along with you when you write that you'll not be needing to do something homeowner-y again. It's a privilege to have a home, but also a lot of work and expense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never regretted being a homeowner and we've been on the landlord end too---my husband had a 4 family apartment building. Trust me when I say that tenants got their 'to do' lists done before our own got done. Being a brand new building I'll be moving into I doubt I'll need maintenance.

      Delete
  20. I have the phone problem, too. I call it "Phonaphobia."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to be a lot of us! And I like your label for the problem.

      Delete
  21. I just did the move from home ownership and love not doing the home maintenance anymore - that was always my job. It was such a relief to sell quickly in March and get moved before the lockdown started. For the last year I did the 'this is the last time I have to do this' cheer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hope you're the trail blazer for a quick sale for me. I am fearful of another lock-down that will stop progress on my future living quarters.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.