Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Skin Care, Roommates and Bulletin Boards --- Oh My!

Every so often I get a bug up my butt about taking better care of my skin. Actually, it seems to be an annual event that lasts from January to spring when I realize I’ve dried out my skin too much. Dermatologists don’t recommend daily showers for old people if we’re not doing stuff to get sweaty and dirty. Our thinning skin apparently is chronically too dry which exposes us to all kinds of nasty skin ailments, the least of which is wrinkles. I don’t care about wrinkles but I’d like to avoid cracking skin and eczema, thank you very much, so I listen to my doctor. On days when I don’t shower I do what Victorian ladies referred to as ‘performing their morning ablutions’ which involved a servant bringing the lady of the house a pitcher of warm water and removing her chamber (aka pee) pot. The lady of the house would brush her teeth and wash her face, her arm pits and what I'll refer to euphemistically as her "nether region." Old school historical romance writers were fond of morning ablution scenes and you can use your imagination as to why. My husband had a more colorful term for doing morning ablutions. He called the process “taking a whore’s bath.” Google doesn't seem to know the etymology of that term but---again---put your imagination to work and it's not hard to believe that it's a term as old as the oldest profession itself. Boy, have I digressed!

If you’re a long time reader of this blog you may remember me lamenting the fact that I had great skin when I was younger but old age brought me teenage acne. Not a bad case but this time of the year I’ll look in the mirror and scream, “Holy cow, those blemishes are bigger than my nipples!” And I’ll make The Promise right there and then: “Cross my heart and hope to die, I’ll wash my face twice a day until it cries.” This week I made The Promise and also ordered some products. Not the hundreds of dollars an ounce yuppie stuff. Nope. I’ll break the promise before I get to the bottom of the jars and tubes plus I don’t buy the argument that they work any better than the cheap stuff. I’m pretty much an Alveeno Girl---or rather an Alveeno Old Lady---and I like Beauty & Planet products like their sugar and roses scrub. My husband had the biggest crush on Jennifer Aniston that lasted from her days on Friends until he died. Every time he'd see one of her commercials for Alveeno he's sit up straighter and pay closer attention to the TV. I was okay with that because I also had a 'Freebie List.' Did you and your spouse have a ‘Freebie List’ which is defined by the Urban Dictionary as “a list of 5 celebrities who, should the opportunity arise, one is allowed to sleep with without it being considered as cheating by your significant other?” Don’s list had Jennifer at all five bullet points. Mine has Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Gerald Butler, Kevin Costner and Bill Gates. Yes, Bill Gates. Brains are sexy and I know how to close my eyes.

Years ago I used to be a Neutrogena Girl and once I bought their ‘P Cleaner’ that was supposed to deep cleaner your pores. When I put it on that it dried blue and made my husband laugh out loud. He was raised with four brothers and two farm hands and wasn't used to seeing girlie things on faces back in the good old days of learning how to share a bathroom. I threw that stuff out because it reminded me of my college roommate. She modeled clothing for a large, Chicago department store and she spent an obnoxious amount of time on her “morning ablutions.” She’d walk around with skin care masks on every night and literally spend more time on her looks than her homework.

Everything she did was obnoxious, a snob from day one and she ended up getting me kicked out of our room. I was an art major who was taking figure drawing classes which creeped her out. I never tried to draw her or anyone else in the dorm but apparently she thought that anyone who’d sit in a class drawing naked people had to be twisted sick. She went weeks without even acknowledging that another person was in the room. No “good mornings” and “Hi” when coming back from classes. No eye contact. No answers to my pleas, "Why won't you talk to me?" "What did I do wrong?" I had no clue. Turned out good for me, though. I got moved out (at her request) and another student got moved into my old space. The room I was moved to was a tiny room for one on the top floor. It was in a converted 4th floor attic dormer with crazy, sloped ceilings that the artist in me loved. It also had a window that overlooked the football field while the room we shared overlooked a parking lot. I feel in love with bulletin boards in that room and I've had one ever since.

Right now, my bulletin board looks pitifully under dressed in its downsized mode and it holds: 1) A greeting card with a panda bear, 2) A business card with a cow, 3) A list of people foods dogs can’t eat, 4) A photo of the three untouchable poisonous plants that grow in Michigan and 5) A photo of my two nieces and nephew. Over the years my bulletin board has become a depository for quoted lines I've read or heard and wanted to savor. Today I added, "She's a red string tied to my finger and I can't forget her." Simple but a great metaphor from The Girl in the Painting by Max Monroe. If you don't want to read a risque quote that made me laugh out loud, quit reading here. It was from Charming Co-Worker and the line was, "He's the catnip to my kitty." The book was forgettable but ohmygod how do writers come up with stuff like that? Lest you judge me based on this two quotes don't do it. My saved quotes over the years have run the gamut from Bible quote to---well, to this kitty joke and everything in between.  ©              

42 comments:

  1. I love the idea of your attic room. I rented one for a while once and I loved it. I was studying physics at the time, but it still felt perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been unusual to be a physics student back in your college days. I'll bet you have some interesting stories to tell.

      I had an attic room for many years. After my brother left home I got his room and turned it girlie. I still love attic walls and ceilings.

      Delete
  2. I do love your writing digressions! Another great start to my morning post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of weird where your mind will roam when you give it permission. But it's still my favorite way to approach a post.

      Delete
  3. I Love a Good Quote! Those blemishes are bigger than my nipples... that's a line clearly made for Quote infamy! *winks* I had the Oil of Olay routine for years, the only reason I don't still have it is I can't find where we packed it all since The Move and I'm too cheap to shell out to buy it all new again... becoz then I know I'll suddenly uncover my hidden stash and have more of that shit than I can possibly use in this Lifetime?! Right now I just ordered Dreadlock Moisturizer from my Dreadlock Online Hair Care Supplier since my Locs suddenly got Dry at the 3+ Year Mark and I didn't know what to do about it? They can become brittle, so thankfully the Supplier had what I needed in an 8 oz spray {whew} and I don't have to worry about Dreadlocks snapping off or something? A tiny end piece of a very thin one broke off in the sink recently and I thought the damned thing was a Hairy Caterpillar and freaked out, til I realized what it was and laughed my ass off... as did the Grandchild, honestly it looked like a Brown Hairy Caterpillar and was an inch long laying there... me poking at it to see if it was 'dead'! LMAOROTF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I see glasses in your future Dawn. Funny 'caterpillar' story. Since the pandemic my hair has gotten super soft and I've had course hair my entire life. I don't know how to handle it.

      You might as well buy some more Oil of Olay because by now that old bottle you can't find is out-dated and spoiled.

      Delete
    2. I had Lasik done on both Eyes years ago, so say it ain't so that I'm headed towards Glasses again GF!? I'll swear I can still see well enough... ha ha ha. I was thinking the same about the Skin Cream, you have no idea how much I've had to throw out of stuff that got packed too long before finding it after we moved in here... too much!

      Delete
  4. I use Dove soap and their body polish. Every time I take a shower, I use Dove body lotion. I use Neutrogena on my face. I'm (was) a red head. Fair skin doesn't hold up very well. Lubricate, lubricate, lubricate is my motto!!! Enjoyed the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used Dove before and liked it. Alneevo has a body wash for people who have itchy skin that my skin doctor recommends, so gradually I just started using all their produces.

      Delete
  5. I had some godawful college roommates. I was relieved and thrilled when I finally had my request for a single room fulfilled. It was heaven.

    I use Neutrogena's basic clear brown skin care soap about once or twice a week. Other than that, just a washcloth and plain tepid water. In the summer, I use the soap more often.

    I don't use bulletin boards anymore. I found a neat little program for my computer called Sticky Notes. It's just like it sounds: little virtual post-its that you can put on your desktop in any arrangement, size, and colour. Much neater and always handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neutrogena has good products---Wait! Does your choice of soap mean you're black? If so, that's a happy revelation after nearly a year of reading your blog.

      I am so glad you mentioned that Stick Notes program! If you could see my computer cabinet you'd see several dozen post-a-notes on the sides and I will be getting a new desk where I won't be able to have post-a-notes all over the place. Thank you, Thank you!!!

      Delete
    2. Jean--LOL. If I tell you I'm not Black, will you still read my blog and be happy about it? I'm Caucasian. The soap I use is a clear, brown bar. This one. I can see how you misread my response due to the placement of my adjectives.

      You're welcome for the Sticky Notes mention. Glad to be of help.

      Delete
    3. I was just shocked when I thought you were black because I wondered how I could have missed that. And reading even the most carefully worded sentences some times confuse the heck out of me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. LOL

      I put the Sticky Notes app in my cloud and it's going to be fun getting used to it.

      Delete
  6. My mom always called it a whore bath as well. So that is what I call it. Yes, we all have those list. But Tom Cruise surprised me Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why? I guess I'm crushing on his movie persona more than his real life persona. Top Gun, some of his Mission Impossible stuff. I like the kick ass confidence.

      Delete
  7. This was a fun post that gave me giggles. Sorry you creeped out your roomie but you ended up in a better place.
    I fight dry skin all the time. I adore really hot soaking baths which leave me looking like a pink cocktail shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss long soaks in bath tubs but I seriously don't think I could get out of one and I haven't tried in 10 years.

      Delete
  8. I had the same roommate for all four years of college and actually ended up marrying the brother of her husband so we have the same last name now. I did end up divorcing that brother after 33 years of marriage so we are no longer SILs but we are still friends.
    I usually shower now about twice a week because my old skin just flakes off if I shower too much. No one needs to see that! Ugh!
    Thanks for the fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice a week is my routine too.

      It's really neat that you and your college roommate remained friends all these years. I wonder how common that is. I can't even remember the last name of my nemeses.

      Delete
  9. I always heard "the whore's bath" was called the PTA bath: P***y, Tits, and Armpits. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great topic! I've always had oily skin ... until this winter. My kidlet suggested a humidifier AND a moisturizer. Ten days later, VOILA! All my red, dry, itchy patches have faded away.

    My Mom called it a PTA bath ... pits, tits and a$$

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget about the humidifier factor. I have one and forget to use it. It's good for furniture joints as well.

      Texas (above your comment has the x-rated more accurate version of your mom's PTA bath. LOL

      Delete
  11. For some reason I had it in my head that now that I live on the "wet coast", I won't have winter dryness issues for my facial skin. Well, maybe if I didn't live indoors, with heat...LOL! My regular routine wasn't cutting it so I bought some rose hip seed oil, which my face just hoovers up 2X per day, and then I even put some CeraVe moisturizing cream on top of that. It's really made a huge difference.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are outside so much and the wind and sun does a number on skin. I'm jealous of the rose hip seed oil. when I use the rose scrub I just want to take a spoon and eat some of it.

      Delete
  12. Appreciate your honesty with a twist of humor. I have to confess the one good thing about Covid (maybe the only one) is hiding behind a mask on a bad-skin day! How are your moving plans coming together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, staying home and wearing masks when going out made me forget to pluck chin and lip brow hairs. I couldn't believe how long some of those suckers got!

      Funny you should mention the move, half my Saturday blog is about some stuff I'm doing to get ready. So far the construction crew haven't gotten shut down again due to Covid so the target date is hanging in there at late August. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
    2. OUCH! Don't pluck them! Amazon has a tiny battery powered razor for ladies. I just run it over lip area and chin every few days while watching my screen!

      Delete
    3. I have one already but I only use it when I'm in a hurry. I'd rather pluck so it doesn't have to be done so often as it does with the razor. I'm half Italian. I've been plucking since I was a young teen.

      Delete
  13. The manner in which you bathe we call a spit bath. I ceased using soap on my face, then, coincidentally recently learned my older hairdresser doesn't use face soap either. A bit of skin lotion after a facial warm water wash and dry is ideal now I've found. Heard health experts talking recently that some older age women cease needing to use underarm deodorant due to various hormonal changes. I know my feet don't perspire like they used to. What's next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember the last time I've sweat...years. It has to get near a 95 for that to happen.

      I haven't used soap or a wash cloth on my face in several years either unless you call Alveeno face wash soap which I suppose it is.

      Delete
  14. I'm so glad you have the servant there to bring your ablutions to you. I wish! I find our ablutions get weird with passing years. It used to be doing hair and make-up. Now for me it's cleaning the sinuses, getting on the breathing machine, doing the back stretches and eventually you get to the things that get you clean and looking prettier. Which I don't worry about so much these days home alone! We've all had our share of bad roomies but I think in the long run you got the best end of the deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom could go several days giving the silent treatment to me, Dad or my brother so I kind of knew it was a punishment for some perceived wrong. But with the roommate she went way beyond perfecting at as an art form.

      I wonder if we'll ever get back to doing the full 'get pretty' routines we did before the pandemic. The cosmetic industry must be feeling the effects.

      Delete
  15. My daughter used to call it "Oil of Old Lady" but she's going to be turning 50 this year, so maybe it's not so funny anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my last year at boarding school, I shared a 3 bed room. One of the girls had a friend (K) who didn't want to share with E so she nagged my friends to get me booted out. So she could move in and I would have share with E. You see K wasn't a nice girl at all, but E was semi-religious. So Matron agreed and I found myself out in the annex with E and we got along fine, even though I wasn't religious - my habits were clean. You see K, wasn't nice, she would put polish on her shoes and then use E's bedcover to shine them up...and threw things around, treating E like some sort of bug. The other girls in my old room, very soon discovered that K WAS NOT NICE at all...but I wouldn't swap back!

    Here I would refer your non shower days to "top and tail" which I also like to do as well...as I'm not heavily into sweaty kind of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a roommate problem in our youths. K sounds awful and you got the better deal out of that trade, just like I did.

      "Top and tail"cracks me up.

      Delete
  17. Well, I feel better. I'm not the only one with dry skin, and it's getting drier as I age. I basically drench myself in body lotion after a shower or bath, and I'm still kinda itchy off and on in the winter months. I love all the names for what we have called a 'cat bath'. If I showered every day, I'd have skin left, I'm sure.

    Roommates can be such a pain. I had a couple good ones, but several that I'd like to forget. Sounds like yours was one of the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 'cat bath'! They spend so much time cleaning themselves and they don't care who is watching.

      Delete
  18. I am very glad I no longer need to feel embarrassed about the lack of daily showers. I really never get mucky enough except maybe in summer when being sweaty is more usual.

    I use an ointment (prescribed by doctors for dry skin) on my back and my feet, that helps beautifully. I slosh some on a sponge and rub it in as far as I can reach. When you live alone and have no one to help that’s not that easy.

    I have used moisturiser on my face for ever, my facial skin is therefore never dry. L’Oreal is reasonably priced here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a few of those doctor prescribed ointment, too. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.