Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Pig’s Feet and Chicken Soup


When I came in from working in the garage it hit me like a pie in the face only better. It was the distinctive aroma of chicken soup cooking on the stove. Homemade chicken soup in the making to be more precise. I had set a picked-over rotisserie chicken in water to boil the meat from the bones which is something I only do two-three a year. For the next seven or eight minutes I stood over the pot, straining and picking bones and skin out of the boiling broth, my cheeks getting red from the steam, my hair getting frizzy. I cut some mini-peeled carrots up like little orange dimes and added them into the pot followed by a couple of envelopes of Lipton Vegetable Soup and Dip Mix. I would have used their chicken soup mix but I’m trying to use up pantry items so my “cooking” between now and when I move will be---shall we say---more creative than usual. I had a third of a bag of Amish extra wide country noodles to use up so they got tossed in the pot as well. Ya, I admit it, I cheat like crazy when I “cook.” And while my soup looked and tasted really good, I’d never serve it to anyone or drop off a container to someone who is sick. I’d never trust that I got every little bone strained out and if someone is going to die from getting a bone stuck in their throat it’s going to be me. I eat my chicken soup very slowly, letting my tongue be the finally judge on whether or not I got every bone out before swallowing. With this batch I never did find the wish bone which makes me wonder if the universe was trying to tell me something. No more wishes for you, Old Lady! You’ve wished your life away.

My mom made a lot of soups---good soups---and she never used a recipe. I did the watch-and-learn exercise a couple of times trying to root out her secrets. But she never measured the spices or other ingredients she used and she always incorporated left-overs into soups so I never got a single recipe out of my once serious attempt to write down Mom’s recipes. And to this day there was one spice she used in just about everything soup and stew that I still can’t identify. It looked like baby spiders floating on the top and growing up that’s the only name I knew it by. "But Mom I've got spiders in my soup!" I once complained. "Just eat them,” she replied. “They're dead!" I’ve written about her ‘spider spice’ before so if this sounds familiar you’re not imagining it. I’m old and I’m starting to repeat myself.

Trying to learn how to cook from my mom was an impossible task---at least for me. My brother didn’t seem to have the same trouble as I did. He’s always been a better cook than me and he's has a lot more experience doing it than I’ve had. He started cooking in his teens, eager to learn, and I had to be brought to the stove kicking and screaming when I was that age. Mom would tell me I was never going to get a husband if I didn’t learn to cook. But it was her fault that I was in my twenties before I could even identify cuts of meat which was a problem back in the day when you had to tell a butcher what you wanted from the other side of the glass case. Growing up, when I’d ask my mom what she was cooking she’d say things like, “An old dead pig” or “road kill” or “an old dead cow.” To the best of my knowledge we never ate road kill but for some reason Mom thought it was funny to make me eat mystery meat. At my brother's house, however, if he told me he was cooking road kill I would 100% believe him.

Fast forward through the years I still can’t scratch cook and I really don’t care anymore. But I did go through ‘70s getting good at baking bread. Then again in this century I was doing artisan breads until I had to stop because of my husband’s diabetes. I’m looking forward to getting back into baking after I move. I’ll be the apartment from which delicious smelling breads will seep into the hallway every Sunday. I just hope I don’t acquire a neighbor who cooks pig’s feet and sauerkraut. My mom cooked that combo often in fall and, boy, did that stink up the house when my mom boiled the crap out of them. (And, no, we don’t have a drop of Polish blood in our ancestry.) Can you even buy pig’s feet in the supermarkets these days? That was about the only meat I could identify growing up. Those and chicken necks. 

Talk about tiny bones that can choke you I do wonder, now, why my mom bothered boiling batches of chicken necks. Maybe we were poorer than I thought we were? I do know Mom must have had a better way of straining the bones out of broths than I do because to be best of my recollection no one ever had a near death experience at our dinner table and I don’t recall her ever warning us to be on the lookout for bones. I found two in the bowl of soup I ate today. Just sayin' there are some tricks I wish I had learned back in the days when I had to use a step stool to peer into the pot cooking on Mom's stove. ©

45 comments:

  1. Hi and happy new year from Nan in chilly Florida. It’s just 46 here at 6 AM. Anyhow just use a colander above a large bowl/pot to strain your soup. I usually add celery and onions when making broth and strain those out too. Then I refrigerate it so I can remove the congealed fat. After the far us gone, I simmer my broth with veggies and a little ‘better than bouillon’ if it needs more flavor. I make soup all year around- even chili in the hot summer. It’s one of my favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A colander!! That makes sense. I used to own one, too. Refrigerating a broth to remove the congealed fat is a great idea. My mom used to do that when she cook ribs and she made the best ribs in the world. Thanks for weighing in!

      Delete
  2. Your soup looks like what I would like. More substance, less broth. I only got soup when I was sick growing up so I pretty much relate soup to being ill. REally--- pig's feet??? At least the bones in them are big:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a stock photo but mine did look exactly like that. Pig's feet is really pretty good from what I remember. It's been a long time since I've had them.

      Delete
  3. I am thankful I never had to eat chicken neck or pigs feet. Okay I finally found one thing that makes me appreciate my ethnic background and that our food did not entail any of those things. :-) But at 15 I was embarressed by my family and the food they ate so I may have swapped with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've go hungry if I had to eat hearts, livers and blood sausage. I don't even like being at a table when others eat that stuff.

      Delete
  4. To this very day I am still a suspicious eater because when I was a kid my dad talked my other into making spaghetti sauce with venison, and they told us it was beef until after we had eaten. As for chicken bones, I wonder if cheesecloth would work to filter out all little bones. I haven't been in the habit of making soup for a long time so I don't recall what I used to use! My mom wasn't much for teaching me to cook, either, so it was a long slog when I struck out on my own, learning slllooowllly enough recipes to keep myself fed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's me too...learned enough recipes to keep myself fed. My mom had a cheesecloth strainer on a wire frame that she used when making jellies but I don't remember her ever using it on soup, but I'm not really sure. I should ask my brother.

      Delete
  5. When I was younger, my mother used to make a traditional Croatian dish of jellied pigs' feet, eaten cold. Ugh. The Croatian name for it is hladetina.

    I burn my fingers every time I make chicken or turkey soup, picking the bones by hand. It's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jellied pig's feet? I just google 'hladetina' and found photos of the aspic-like dish. It looks very unappealing. We used to dip pig's feet in mustard.

      I use kitchen tongs and a huge slotted spoon to get the bones out of my soups. I scoop up a spoon full with one hand and use the tongs to sort through what comes up on the spoon with the other.

      Delete
  6. I had the same experience yesterday as I simmered a pot of broth from the Christmas turkey carcass. It will be finished today as a version of minestrone soup. There's usually a pot of soup in the fridge. It's a great way of using up what needs using up from the fridge. Chicken necks and pigs' feet - the nose to tail culinary movement isn't new. It was a necessity prior to being a food trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it was a food trend to eat nose to tail. I suppose with all the cooking shows on TV and money getting tighter for many people it makes sense that cooking lesser quality meats would make a come back.

      You got a lot of millage out of that Christmas turkey carcass if it's still around this long!

      Delete
  7. I have been making soups lately too. I love the smell of soup simmering in my kitchen. I use a metal strainer with a handle to get any bones out of the soup - I don't like the skin or hunks of fat either. So I am very careful about straining my soup.
    I like to use my crockpot (slow cooker) to make soups - there are a ton of easy recipes to find. I am a recipe person but will improvise if I don't have a specific ingredient and don't want to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing beats the smell of homemade soup for a comfort food.

      I donated my large crockpot to Goodwill and bought a small one. I can see, now, how it would have worked great for soups. I do use my small one a lot in the winter mouths. I just made a batch of applesauce in it but usually I do stew, a pork chop or part of a roast beef.

      Delete
  8. Be careful not to scrape out the collagen when skimming fat. That's the benefit of boiling bones. I use big chunks of veggies while simmering bones ... then strain thru colander. Then pick the meat off while lukewarm. Now I'm hungry for soup.

    My parents were both mainly German and they liked a lot of the old style foods ... limburger cheese, liverwurst, headcheese, blood pudding. Gags me as I type!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would gag me too. My dad did like liverwurst but that came already cooked and he only had it on sandwiches. Easy to avoid.

      It's interesting how we all have different ways of staining soup broth.

      Delete
  9. Not a fan of soup, nor pig's feet, just saying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat or make a lot of soup either. Most of it is so thin it's doesn't feel like you're eating.

      Delete
  10. I used to love liverwurst, and chicken necks. The store used to sell chicken necks 30-40 years ago when we first got here, and they were inexpensive. I’ve eaten head cheese but not blood sausage, my uncle used to love Limburger cheese but none of the rest of us would touch it. Fun memories. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I've ever had Limburger cheese but the description of it on a google search sounds like something I would like.

      Delete
  11. As the years (decades, actually) have passed, I've grown much less excited about cooking, but I still make a pot of soup nearly every week during winter. I've purchased lots of cans and packets of different types of ready-made soup, but they don't compare with homemade. Sure wonder what spice/herb your mom used that looked like little spiders. If you figure it out, let us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just might be able to figure it out next year after I've gotten to know the chef at the CCC enough to ask him. He's invited us to submit family recipes for them to try out and serve and will have some group cooking lessons on the campus.

      Ready made soups have SO much salt in them, and you're right none of them taste worth the effort.

      Delete
  12. Nothing as good as homemade soup! My husband was hospitalized for lack of salt but until that moment we would have sworn he perhaps consumed too much as he loves pretzels and all salty snacks. Now he has permission to eat as much as he can! Who knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a while I was eating a lot of Asian-style soups until I looked at the salt content and I do have to watch my salt. I envy your husband.

      Delete
  13. My Mother made chicken soup when a hen got too old to lay! My step-father would kill etc and pluck and then into the pot it went!! I loved her soup especially when she added dumplings !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could eat something I knew when it was alive, but I have great-nieces and a nephew who raise chickens and can do it. Doesn't get much fresher than the way your mom and step-dad prepared them. I've never had dumplings!

      Delete
  14. I love soup and don’t make it nearly enough. Made split pea soup from scratch last week. Finally wised up (after 7 years of living alone) to figure out to make 1/2 the recipe. Still, I was eating that soup for the better part of a week! 😁

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried freezing soup? I make a full pot and when it cools half of it goes into serving size microwave dishes then in the freezer. Works great with soup and chili. Split pea is great. I'll have to make that before the winter is over.

      Delete
  15. What a great post. I can only imagine how good that soup smells. Maybe I'll make soup today if I have enough stock. That would be good for a day like today -- nice, healing soup. My mom never really taught me cooking but I watched a lot. And I helped. But there were a lot of things we never really ate so I have never been all that comfortable making them without "guidance." That said, I do most things from scratch versus pre-prepped stuff. I'd like some of that soup now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken soup sure connects with a lot of us from way back, doesn't it. Now days, it seems like a lot of the younger generation is learning to cook from the Food Network. Even I watch it and I don't scratch cook more than twice a month.

      Delete
  16. The Awkward Widow is right about collagen, it's considered to be "liquid gold" for creaky joints. Here in South Texas pigs feet, beef hoofs and chicken paws are readily available, perhaps because of our large Hispanic population. I make up a large batch of bone broth to add to my older arthritic dog's daily kibble Basically it's just a couple of lbs. of bones, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and water cooked low and slow for 24-48 hrs in a crock pot (it MUST be cooked that long for the bones to break down releasing the collagen). I now make it in my Insta Pot which only requires about 2 hrs. When it's cool remove all bones, skim off the fat, pour into small containers to store in the freezer, and add a couple of tablespoons daily to your fur-baby's regular food. Lots of info on Bone Broth benefits and recipes can be found on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose in states where they butcher/process more meat the feet, hoofs, etc. are more available. I've never seen them around here in decades.

      You and "Awkward" have me curious now. How to you tell what the collagen looks like? I don't know if I'm removing it or not.

      Delete
  17. Dear Jean, I so enjoyed this posting about your mom's cooking as compared to yours. My mom didn't teach me to cook either, but then I seldom expressed any interest in learning. When I had to cook in the convent--when I was out on mission teaching at this school or that in this state or that--the nuns would be amazed that I knew nothing about cutting up a chicken or making biscuits or frying hamburgers. I was a complete dud!!!!! And today, all these years later, I'm like you in that I don't do much creative cooking that begins in my mind. That is, I use recipes in books and magazines. also like you, I have learned to bake and I so enjoy that. Peace . . . oh, and watch those bones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one, Dee, who learned to somewhat cook later in life. I used recipes but I have a rule too. I don't make anything with more than five ingredients. LOL

      Delete
    2. Dear Jean, now that's good rule! Peace.

      Delete
  18. Not that I make a lot of soup but I add a small pinch of something - simmer it a bit, and then taste - might add more, it might be just right. If I've forgotten that I might add one of my other Asian type sauces at the end, because usually I don't touch the brew until the next day when everything has mellowed a bit. And yes set aside portions for the freezer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that step of tasting as you go is something I usually forget to do and I can see where than would make a huge difference.

      Speaking of Asian, since the pandemic I got hooked on Annie Chun's soup bowls. (found in the international section of the supermarket and comes dry. Add water and microwave. But I've since looked at the sodium count and had to stop. But I sure loved all her favor profiles.

      Delete
  19. Pigs feet are a common food in the town I live, as well as necks. So are pig tails. I like it all. Fried gizzards and fried chicken livers are common also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know people ate pig's tails but I'll bet they're good...I like pork.

      Delete
  20. This is a delightful post. I'm laughing out loud at your mother's descriptions of that which she was cooking. Seems like there could be a retro recipe book using her phrases instead of the more formal names for foods. Happy New Year, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that would be fun to write. I have a cookbook that was written before standard measurements and it would call for ingredients in the sizes of various eggs For example, a piece of lard the concept with my mom's phrases.

      Delete
  21. Baby Spiders do get into Paprika sometimes... and Bug Protein isn't half bad as an addition. *LOL* We used to go to this Old Polish Man's Restaurant that made the best Cabbage Soup, it always had what looked like tiny Bugs floating on top that we assumed were just Spices. Til one day we saw one moving... and his response: Even IF I washed the Cabbage, you can't get all the Bugs out. It was hilarious, my Friend could never go back, but I always went becoz that Cabbage 'Bug' Soup was delish and who knows if those things made the difference in flavor? *True Story!*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Various insects adore paprika, chili powder, pepper flakes -- anything like that. One of the best tricks is to freeze any new spices for four or five days before using. Them buggies go kaput!

    I've never been one to use pigs' feet, but nice fresh ones are available at my butcher shop, along with terrific bones for dogs, chicken necks, chicken livers and gizzards, and such. I've stopped cooking down chickens for broth since Swanson came out with their beef and chicken cooking broth. It's much better than their plain old chicken broth. I can't tell a bit of difference between it and what I used to make on the stove. It's a little more expensive, of course, but for me, the savings in time is worth the extra fifty cents or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I can't believe that after all these years I've learned that my mom probably WAS serving me baby bugs in my soup. LOL

      I use the Swanson boxes of broth too, but if I have a chicken carcass I can't see wasting the meat that comes off the bones.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.