Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

The Winds of Change - Widowhood Style

 

This first paragraph below is borrowed from a post I wrote eight years ago titled Choose Your Change:

People in the blog community occasionally feed off one another for inspiration or topics to write about. That’s what happen to me recently when I read a post by the Awkward Widow titled Sexagenarian. She was sharing some advice from Nancy Alock Hood, a woman who got married for the first time at the ripe old age of 82 years old. Nancy is quoted as saying: 'Change happens, so choose your change.' Simple but profound advice, don’t you think? She was talking about embracing change and planning what you want your future days and years to look like in retirement but it could just as easily be applied to the changes that come with widowhood, divorce, disability or the loss of a job. Choose your change, ---that’s going to be my new mantra going forward. I don’t want to be a victim of life just drifting along, I want to be walking to and working towards something besides the grave. 

Change is hard. Change is scary, especially when it wakes you up in the middle of the night with self-doubts. Am I doing the right thing? Did I wait too long to move into this new chapter of my life or not wait long enough? As we age we fall into a pattern of fearing change but fear alone should not determine our fate. By learning to control our fear we get to pick our change instead of just letting it happen whenever, where ever the chips might fall. It’s akin to replacing a bald tire on your car. It’s just a matter of time when a bald tire blows. It could happen in the middle of rush hour on a six lane expressway or on a quiet street within a stone’s throw of your house. We're picking out fate when we replace that tire before it has a chance to cause an accident that could kill us and/or others or at the very least make us late for something we've been looking forward to doing. 

Humans are like tires, we get old and weak and it’s foolish to think we can be as independent at 80 or 90 as we were at 40 or 50. Planning that last chapter our lives makes the same kind of sense as planning for our college years. My plan---moving into  a continuum care campus---is me putting my last chapter plan into action, and once I'm there I can party like there's no tomorrow. "Adulting" will not be required and tomorrow isn't promised to anyone so why not revert to the carefree, silliness of my youth? 

So, what have I been doing these past eight years since I first wrote about picking my change? I started by going on a quest to find friends. It took two years but it turned out good until the pandemic ended our bi-monthly luncheons with a group of six. I also spent a year or looking at smaller, stand alone houses, condos and apartments in continuum care complexes up for sale. It was a causal search, in a gathering information mode with no pressure to carry through and it was a valuable learning experience that made it possible for me to recognize what a good deal I'm getting with the non-profit CCC where I'm moving. It took an ice storm and being without heat for nearly a week in the middle of the winter to get my attention and admit that somewhere along the line I had became one of those vulnerable seniors that the newscasters tell everyone they need to check on. If not for the son of one of those friends I’d lunch with, who drove over to check on me, I would have died of hypothermia. And that's not hyperbolic. 

At almost 80 I still feel young inside my head but no one can see inside there but me to know that I’m delusional on that topic. To the rest of the world I’m a plump, white-headed senior with a bad wardrobe and a split fingernail she hasn’t been able to grow out for 4-5 years which explains why I never give anyone The Finger. I hate that nail and I hide it from the world! Just kidding, though, about why I keep my middle finger folded in my hand. I may let a few swear words slip out but rude hand gestures have never been my jam as the cool kids are saying these days. Oh dear, I shouldn't try to use urban slang. One side of my brain just informed the other side that I'm using 'not my jam' incorrectly because there is no music involved in flashing The Finger, however the other side is arguing that the phrase has evolved beyond jamming in a band.

So here I am sitting in the quiet before the storm otherwise known as the long-awaited listing of my house going live tomorrow. I’m excited mostly with a little fear thrown in to flavor the pot. All my valuables are locked up including medications because the realtor says it’s a common thing in his business to have meds stolen out of houses up for sale. People addicted to using and/or selling prescription drugs get them wherever they can. I've always kept mine in the laundry room where only my blog readers would think to look. 

Anyway, I’ve chosen my change and I’ve done everything I can do to make it work the way I want. Things out of my control will happen---like the pandemic that put a major stress on my plans---but short of another disaster of that magnitude, like the housing market flipping over night, I’ve got my plans A and B in place to cover unforeseen road blocks that could happen. After the closing and the money is in my bank I plan to sleep 24/7 for a week or maybe spend a weekend at my niece's cottage, then I'll regroup for the packing stage of the game. I’m worn out! ©

45 comments:

  1. You may be worn out but to me you are a tower of strength and determination. With your plans in place, your house ready for sale, yourself sorted out, there is little that can now go wrong now, barring force majeure events. And nobody on this earth can plan for those.

    The very best of luck to you, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Being a long range planner has always been one of my few strengths.

      Delete
  2. It's amazing to me how much of this I remember: the seach for friends, the back-and-forthing about where you next should live, the ice storm (and who would have imagined that your lessons during that would have been relevant for me in the same circumstances?) Even my move from one apartment to another was a bit of a chore, and you had much more to deal with, but deal with it you did. I think you deserve a quick, easy sale, and as long a nap as you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone tells me my house will go quick, that it's a great house in a good ,desirable area. But I'm almost afraid to listen to them because I'm afraid it's just setting myself up for disappointment if doesn't go quick. When I put my first deposit down I never respected it to take nearly two years to get to this point--- no (average) person could have predicted the pandemic messing us all up.

      Delete
  3. So smart to choose your change. My mom has a sister who clearly needs to sell her house and move but is in deep denial. My mom tells her to make the decisions before someone else makes them for her, but it's not getting through.

    It takes courage to face the aging process and look honestly at where we are all going, then make plans to navigate it smartly. You are doing it really well - a role model for my not-so-distant future. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. When I was a mentor in the stroke community I saw so many people get shoved in independent living apartments and nursing homes based on what is available at the time of their health crash. And often that's only two placements open to pick from. And once you get into a bad place its hard to move to a better place. Not only that it puts so much stress on families to drop everything to help their parent/s.

      Delete
  4. This sounds to me as if you're winding down and finally feeling the first payoffs of all your hard work, some letting go and some freedom from stress. Fingers crossed for a smooth sale/sail from here! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am winding down. Today I woke up with nothing on my morning calendar except wait for the photographer to show up at 1:00. Hardly seems possible!

      Delete
  5. I like the quote and I like the idea that you have the ability to be proactive and choose your change. I look forward to learning about the changes that are to come for you-- once your house sells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The culture shock of living in single family houses my entire life to living in a planned community of apartments with 52 of us all moving in at the same time is going to give me lots of blog fodder.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a milestone you have reached after this long journey. Hoping for lots of great offers to pick from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it. It's a happy/sad milestone. I'm just as afraid of getting too many good offers as I am of getting none. In my perfect world I'd make everyone write a 50 word essay on what they like best about the house. It started with a drawing that I made on graph paper, so I know its good and not so good features inside and out.

      Delete
  7. You have chosen so well but not only chosen but followed up. You should feel comfortable knowing you have carefully considered every possible problem--well NO ONE could have seen a pandemic coming.
    I would never have thought about hiding my meds. Still it makes sense that people would use open houses to pilfer drugs. That to me is quite sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relatives who come out of the woodwork to visit also steal meds from people who just had surgery---taking just enough so you'll question if you took more than you should have or if you've abandon taking them and haven't yet dropped off at a safe-drop off site. Our local police have a mailbox in their lobby. Everyone! Be careful with an drug for pain control!

      Delete
  8. Boy Jean do I understand your sleeping for 24/7 when this is done.
    I'll join you after my house is sold and this is all done too!
    I chose the change but that doesn't make it any less stressful does it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, you got that right...it's very stressful. Although right now ---while waiting for the photographer and realtor--- I'm surprisingly calm and at peace. I've done my best and if that's not good enough, too bad. I can still get all my deposits back on my new place up until Oct. 4th.

      Delete
  9. You certainly are giving me a good example to follow! I know in a few years I will have to make some of these same changes and it has been great to have you walk me through it on your blog! I appreciate your honesty and humor and look forward to more! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so lucky to have had a blog to vent and celebrate in, especially when the pandemic came a calling.

      If I were to give one piece of advice about the decision process it would be to start early looking and researching. There are lots of differences in ways we can live in the last charter of our lives including retrofitting where you live now to make it more senior friendly. Mine was built senior friendly but that doesn't cure the isolation problem or the lack of pubic transportation here. And I've seen first hand what it's it's like when you have to depend on services coming to you. My sister-in-law who lived close by dealt with it for years. She got the necessities from nursing etc. but without the enrichment stuff I'll be getting for social activities along with any medical needs I might have in the future.

      Delete
  10. Love your PoV! You sound so pragmatic and practical! Unfortunately, I've recently seen both sides of this and my husband and I have to face our own decisions on change in the not too distant future.
    My mom's widowed sister moved to a ccc 4 years ago surprising everyone including her kids. She LOVES it! Says it's the best thing she's ever done. My mom, on the other hand, was widowed just prior to the pandemic exacerbating her memory issues, followed by a recurrence of her lymphoma. I was left to find her a safe place to live and sell her house. Not something I wanted to do.
    I truly hope we can follow your excellent example and choose our change!

    PS I found the 'lock up your drugs' thing interesting. I emptied mom's house before listing it at the realtor's request. While it was a smart move, I was shocked at several things that transpired during the showings (lights, fans and water left running, among other things) but the most disgusting thing was that someone actually stole one of the antique glass doorknobs! I still don't know how they managed to get it off the door. My agent said there was nothing she could do as there were back to back showings so it was impossible to identify the culprit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how anyone can get enjoyment out of owing something they stole like your antique doorknobs! Theft is one of my biggest worries.

      I sold two house that were completely empty and, too me, it's the best way for sellers and buyers but I couldn't do it this time. In both houses I experience what you did with water and lights and windows opened.. And an unflushed toilet.

      Delete
  11. What an accomplishment! I wish you all the best in the sale of your house and your move. Celebrating is now on your list. Yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I almost called you about going to the movies while I have to be away from the house so much but there is NOTHING on worth seeing! Can't wait until Monday!

      Delete
  12. I'm a lot like you, Jean. I want to be proactive in my life, not reactive. Which means planning ahead, and anticipating the change instead of having to react to it (potentially in a crisis situation...never a good idea!). And I like to do my research. You are managing this next phase in your life beautifully. And by writing about it, perhaps inspirig others to, as well.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proactive, not reactive. What a good way to phrase it. Why didn't I think of that! Tanks, Deb.

      Delete
  13. I really want to embrace the full meaning of choosing change. My daughter and I have been studying Swedish Death Cleaning (I don't like the title too much, but the philosophy is good). Sometimes I thing there's a negative connotation to "getting ready for our last chapter" but I believe it's the responsible thing to do. Besides, I'm still a control freak, and I hope to make my own decisions for a long, long time!! Cannot wait to hear about what happens with your house sale. It's gonna be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about the Swedish Death Cleaning---one of the bloggers I follow did it. I hate the name. Last chapter isn't much better, so I use next chapter mostly.. Like you I want to control things as long as I can. the best part about about a continuum care campus is you can tour the memory care and hospice care buildings and have the peace of mind that you won't be shipped off to the next county because there in no room at the inn.

      Delete
  14. Me and change are not good friends, me and sleep have a better relationship

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a terrible time getting enough sleep. I wish I knew your secret.

      Delete
  15. You have done such a great job of preparing for this. I'm happy for you and think you and the dog will love your new place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly Levi passed away so it will just be me. But I still think of him when I think about where I'm moving because so much of what I planned and picked out was because of him. Stacking washer and dryer for example because I wanted the floor space for his bed.

      Delete
  16. I guess by now it's listed and the showings are going to be getting under way - good luck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Thursday AM and it goes live late this afternoon. It truly is my calm before the storm.

      Delete
  17. A Big Move and Life Change that goes along with it is exhausting, but worth every bit of the stress and work Jean. Change is always difficult because we get comfortable with the familiar, even if it's not a great familiar. When I look back on what I held onto so tightly, it's probably a good thing I had to be forced to let it go, in hindsight, aging has made it so that the outcome would have been not as idyllic anymore... if it ever was. I tend to always glamorize what used to be, in my Head, and it is out of touch with the actual Reality that it was. I do like to choose my Changes tho', I can do my due diligence better when not being forced into a Change involuntarily. I think this last Move being voluntary made a big difference, I felt a lot more in control of my outcome. I'm excited for you finishing up this Chapter and moving along in your Life's Journey with some really good choices you're making. At some juncture we know we don't have a lot of Time left in front of us, so we want to maximize those Moments and Memories. I'm at that juncture and so how I'm spending everything, time, money, Life choices, is very calculated now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't have a dream historic home like you did but not for lack of trying to find one we could restore. Having been through a similar health crisis like your husband you did I'm kind of glad we didn't have to leave it behind with Don's stroke. The up keep would have been awful for me alone.

      This house was born in my imagination and came from my drawings on graph paper. I will be sad to leave it because it's totally all about me and my choices but it's time. My only regret so far is not going for a bigger unit on the CC campus with a better view. I was being conservative with mu budget. Depending on what I get for my house, may still turn out to be the best decision.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes we do have to consider the damned Budget, such a dirty word, isn't it? *LOL*

      Delete
  18. Onward, my friend. You aren't too late -- and probably not too early. It sounds just right. But I can understand the big gulp of change, that moment where you cannot turn back. You are up to the task. More than up to it. And you will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. But now that I've slowed down some I see the flaw better without my rose covered glasses on.

      Delete
  19. Dress rehearsals are over. The amount of work you have done to list it would wither most mortals. Your tenacity and vision really matched the change you chose. Are you glad the pandemic slowed the rate of change down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not at all. It made it harder not to be able have more trips to the auction house. Forced me to sell more on e-bay and give more away to Goodwill than I planned. And if construction had stopped for awhile on the new place I'd been able to sell my house at the height of the housing boom, instead of now when the seller's market it's starting to flip.

      Delete
  20. As I get older I remember what my mom used to say to me. She said that even though she was 50, she still felt like a teenager inside. While my body feels old, my brain does not. So now I get it.

    I don't like change. I don't do well with change.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Change can be overwhelming and not feel worth the effort but as you go through it. But it almost a!way is.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have fallen far behind in my blog reading...again! But when I saw your house listing on FB I knew you'd gotten to the BIG DAY. (Great house, by the way!) I admire you so much ... you have no idea how you inspire me to be sassy, independent, courageous, and still so cool -- cuz that's your jam! I wish you all the best with this phase of the big move. A friend, recently retired, from my town just moved to Bay City where he bought a house after apartment living for many years (he's originally from Detroit). He's so excited about his new home and being closer to his family. I love the idea of choosing your change. It looks different for all of us, but I think you've chosen wisely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I'm going to miss many aspects of owning a house rather than an apartment but I am tired of the work and don't want the house to fall in disrepair because I can't keep up. It's one of my proudest achievements.

      Delete
  23. That you're asking whether you're making this move too soon or too late suggests that you've got the timing just right! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.