Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, September 10, 2022

My Mary Oliver Moment

It seems weird to be writing this post to go live two days after my carpal tunnel and trigger thumb surgeries but it's on my dominant hand and it will be out of commission with a splint on it for a week. The problem with writing ahead is that I generally have to wait for more ‘life’ to happen for me to have anything to write about. I need at least a spark---a tidbit in a conversation, some quality people watching---to inspire a post. And as a secondary excuse, I’ve been sidetracked trying my hand at writing poetry and reading Mary Oliver books. She’s immensely popular and, to be honest, I can’t figure out why precisely. Poetry is a tough genre to make a name in and she’s managing to make it to the top of the modern heap. 

When I was a teenager I wrote long poems mostly about unrequited love and they were all rhyming verses with meter and metaphors. My very first attempt at writing a poem was for a high school assignment. It’s documented in an early 1950s diary and starts out, “Oh, how I hate to sit at home and rack my brain to write a poem.” One of the first poems I remember studying in school was Robert Frost’s Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. It’s included in Mary Oliver’s book, A Poetry Handbook. Here’s some gobbly-goop she says about that classic poem: “The initial four lines are rife with w’s and th’s; f is there and v. Three sets of double ll’s. The heaviness of the vowels is increased by the use of diphthongs.” Blab, blab blab. It’s too deep in the language weeds for me and it’s hurting my head to break down Frost’s poem into mutes and semivowels the way Mary does. 

Frost:

Whose woods these are I think I know
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
to watch his woods fill up with snow.
 
Me:
 
Oh, how I dearly hate to sit at home
learning the proper way to write a poem.
Even with Mary Oliver trying to teach me
I am like a blue bottle tossed out to sea
bobbing one way on the waves, then another 
as I recall the poems written by my brother.

My brother really could write heart-felt poetry and I don’t know where he got that ability or the desire to create them. He wasn’t the best student in high school---had the brains but he was more into  cars and girls instead of English Literature. And I’ve never known him to be much of a reader over the years. It wasn’t until the ‘80s when I got the rude awakening that he could write better poems than me. I was working on a family history book and had asked everyone in the family to submit something I could include…poems, essays, photos, special memories, recipes, answers to a questionnaire. That request revealed a lot of hidden talent. Both of my nieces sent me poems and one of their husbands did, my brother too, even my dad recited a poem on a cassette tape he wrote in the third grade. It was printed in his hometown newspaper where they called him the new Longfellow. We ended up with twenty poems and only four were written by me and I can honesty say my brother’s blew mine out of the water---thus the metaphorical bobbing in the waves (above).

From my superficial and extremely brief research I learned that poetry has been around in the spoken form since the twelfth century and much earlier in the form of verses sung to tell stories with its humble beginnings in ritual and religious chants. I have no trouble visualizing roaming bands of troubadours discovering words that rhyme and pleased the ear could bring more coins into their purses. I have no trouble visualizing monks doing their lovely chanting and receiving food offerings in their 'begging bowls.' Considering that music is universal in all cultures it safe to say that free verse and poetry is innate in all of us. In other words, we all could write it if we set our minds to do it, especial the newer free verse style where if there are any rules I haven't found them. Yet. It might not be good poetry but if we write about love, loss and life experiences other readers will find their stories in our words. If nothing else it’s good exercise for the brain to try to be our own versions of Mary Oliver. Or we'd accidentally write a few good old country western songs.

And guess what, I just finished writing a generic post for the week when I’ll be recovering from my trigger thumb and carpal tunnel surgeries. The eighth was the big day.  I'll try to update you in the comment section, should anyone leave one. ©

 

39 comments:

  1. Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing how it turns out. Fingers crossed. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I've never tried my hand at writing poetry (other than those writing assignments, decades ago, in school), I think it's interesting what poetry can actually do within us. When we write or read poetry, our brains put together sounds, rhythm, emotions, and meaning. Researchers have found that poetry can actually improve our brain's function, health and memory. Who knew??? I confess, I haven't read much poetry, but I think I might start.

    Hoping every day brings you a bit more healing and comfort, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read much poetry either but I'm trying to change that.

      Delete
  3. Here's what I think about what you've quoted here from Oliver. Someone asked her, "Why not explain what you do, in a book?" So, she went to work, and ended up just like the caterpillar who was asked "How do you know which foot to move next?" Mary Oliver and the caterpillar both ended up on their backs in the ditch, not going anywhere. (And this from someone who adores her poetry!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL I Love your poetry far more than Mary's but I've been reading her a lot lately. Love your caterpillar explanation. Sometimes it is hard to explain our creative processes. For me its trial and error.

      Delete
  4. I think I’ve mentioned before that I am deficient in the poetry gene - appreciation of and the ability to write any. Unless you count song lyrics as poetry - those I enjoy… I hope the surgery went well and you are not too uncomfortable, Jean.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Songs count in my world. When you see lyrics printed out side by side with modern poetry the visual is similar. And no can deny the emotions song invoke is every bit as strong in both genres.

      Delete
  5. You would not believe the huge wad of dressing on my hand but it comes off Monday. Then the fun starts of not getting it wet for two weeks. If I do accidentally I have to clean the wounds out with peroxide. Haven't had much pain at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear your surgery went well.
    I am sure you will have a great story to tell.
    As soon as your hand is better,
    I will be here to read your letter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love many kinds of non-rhyming poetry including trying my hand at modern haiku which is less restrictive. Mary Oliver's work is very accessible for most people which I think is what made it so popular. Glad you haven't had much pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried a haiku or read many. A woman might join our writing group who does them so I might be trying them.

      Delete
    2. I subscribe to The New Yorker and virtually all of the poetry has been this free form variety. I enjoy many and attribute that to a similar experience that the poet and I have lived. But I also read many and have no idea what the intent was. I found the rhyme and language manipulation that Robert Frost managed absolutely thrilling. It was easier to feel clever reading that style of poetry. The reader can feel the stillness of standing in the snow from his use of soft sounds. You’ve inspired me to go back and read the poets of my youth.

      So happy to hear there isn't much pain from the surgery. You CAN wash yourself with a plastic bag secured with a rubber band over your hand/arm. I've done it.

      Delete
    3. Looking at poems from our youth with the wisdom we've gained over the years makes them richer and easier to understand.

      Delete
  8. I am so sadly poetry deficient. "Oh, how I hate to sit at home and rack my brain to write a poem." to me is brilliant.
    I hope you are healing comfortably but not getting it wet sounds like a bummer. I have a fair sized wound on my forearm right now and I am railing about trying to get clean while keeping it dry. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surgeon was adamant that open wounds should not touch water and instead use hydrogen peroxide to clean them for two weeks and longer if still open and the peroxide bubbles when applying. Found some water proof band aids that seal all the way around I'll try later on. Might work on your arm.

      I haven't done a good job resting my hand for this first 48 hours like I should be.

      Delete
  9. REST YOUR HAND! I think the first few days are critical. Watch a movie or binge a series. Or read poetry. Or listen to books.

    Could you put a plastic bag on your hand/wrist? Or Saran Wrap? Then you won't have to irritate your fragile skin when taking off band aids all the time!

    Take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctor's instruction paper suggest Saran Wrap. Going outside now to listen to a book.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad the surgery was successful and that your recovery is going along as expected.

    Free verse poetry is tough for traditionalists at first. It's a good idea to read a lot of different authors and see how its lack of formal structure allows writers to use their own true voice.

    Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself" is a great example of some early use of free verse that has a strong voice and high readability. I have a soft spot in my heart for Walt. We spent decades together, and I got him a lot of new fans. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is a long poem! Thanks for pointing me in that direction to study. About the only Walt Whitman I remember is ‘O Captain! My Captain!’ but that's thanks to Robin William's film the Dead Poets Society, one of my favorite movies.

      Delete
    2. Nance, Whitman's "Song of Myself" was a revelation to me as a buttoned-up-tight Southern Baptist young woman. To praise one's self, to delight in one's self as well as all of nature had been an incomprehensible thing to me. I still haven't achieved it, but I've always loved that poem.

      Delete
    3. The amazing power of words and creativity.

      Delete
    4. Linda P--It was a revelation to Whitman's contemporaries as well! So many thought it was obscene. I love the journey of the poem, the voice of awe and celebration, and the tone of generosity and largesse. He connects all of us to each other and forever to Nature. It's a huge undertaking and a huge poem. He reminds us that we, like him, are large and contain multitudes. I'm so glad to "meet" another fan of Walt's.

      Delete
  11. I have never been a fan of poetry until recently, that said rest that hand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'm finding it hard to rest it when it feels so good. Once I get the dressings off on Monday I suspect that will change.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad your pain has been minimal so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you have that surgery behind you. :-) I took a bike ride with my brother yesterday and he's had both wrists done and was glad he did. Hopefully you will feel the same.

    I love poetry and have an entire shelf of it, many of them purchased after poetry classes I have taken. But I'm not writing much of anything lately. I used to say I'll get back to it, but who knows? One of my friends in high school and I were published in a little regional anthology, and when I read that now, I kinda cringe. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way I feel when I look back at poems I wrote long ago and even up above.

      So far so good on the surgeries.

      Delete
    2. I’ll put in a plug for Billy Collins. He wrote an evocative and insightful poem about one if the most feared failings of old age - Forgetfulness. Here’s one verse, to give you an idea:
      as if, one by one, the memories you used to harbor
      decided to retire to the southern hemisphere of the brain,
      to a little fishing village where there are no phones.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the recommendation. I just ordered one of his books on Amazon...his Introduction to Poetry. The poems I've written so far have the theme of aging---fears, regrets, etc.---so this sample spoke to me. Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Mary Oliver is one of the few poets I really enjoy because she usually writes what she thinks so simply and it's often what I think, too! Overall, I'm not a huge poetry fan. But I'm glad things are going OK post-surgery. I will never catch up from being gone for a couple of weeks but hope to get back in the groove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need something new to challenge me and attempting to write poetry is it at the moment. I can do it on a park bench in the sun or anywhere else on campus.

      Do like I do when I get behind...just rewrite the job list.

      Delete
  15. So hoping your surgery and recovery have gone well by now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your idea of inviting family members to write poems for the family history you're putting together. Songs are one of the great inventions. When I was in college in the early 1960s, folksongs were popular. I was a big fan of Joan Baez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked my niece recently where she thought her dad got his talent for writing poetry and she said she thought it was from listening to certain singers. I remember Joan Baez. She spoke for a lot of people back in her day. One Christmas when a lot of people in the family were stretched thin on money we made a rule that all gifts for our annual party exchange had to in the form of a poem or letter or handmade thing that cost under two dollars. I just remembered this and it was my first clue that we had some poets in the family. It was one of the most Christmas parties we had.

      Delete
  17. I cannot write what I call "real" poetry with all the rules you describe at the beginning of this post. And I'm not well-read in poetry at all. I love Mary Oliver however. And my favorite poet is Billy Collins, a contemporary poet who writes so clearly and eloquently in plain language about everyday topics often, with a twist of humor. I could read him all day. (Or google him reading.) Many years ago I was totally into Slam Poetry -- performance poetry, basically. At a poetry slam, the poet has 3 minutes at the microphone to perform (read with dramatic flair) their poem. They are more like 3 minute essays, often self-reflective. Sometimes poets compete and the audience is the judge. I heard some amazing pieces of writing. One nationally known Slam Poet lived locally and offered a class. Myself and several friends took the class and began to write and perform our poetry at Open Mics. People came!!! It was great fun and I loved it. Then someone in our group got the idea to publish a "chapbook" (a small paperback of short poems) together. That ended up being a lot of work, but we did it and even had an event at a local bookstore to launch the book. We sold some too. (Not enough to cover our costs, however. LOL) Anyway, I have not written poetry in years, preferring to write my blog essays. But it was fun and a cool thing to do for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few weeks ago I bought a book of Billy Collins poems but I have not read it yet! Now I can't wait after what you said about him.

      I have been to two poetry slams---one out west and one locally where an old Red Hat Society friend was preforming. She does them all the time. That would scare me to death!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.