Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Our Amazing Creative Writing Session


Our third meeting of the writing group here on the Continuum Care Campus was amazing. We had five people show up and that included Chatty Cathy who claims she just took dictations from God to write the songs she did before she had a series of strokes. She actually wrote a poem on the spot about something in another woman’s essay and it blew my mind how fast Chatty Cathy came up with what she did. No wonder she thinks there’s something mystical about her writing process. If she keeps coming---she missed the second meeting---it’s going to be a lesson in patience and tolerance for the rest of us, though, because like a lot of stroke survivors with damage to the frontal lobe part of the brain she has no impulse control, talks non-stop---often about God---and usually not on topic.

When Ms Angel---who wrote about her husband’s suicide and the letter he left behind where he confessed to a secret life---read the last line of her essay there was silence for a moment from three of us who were awestruck before Chatty Cathy started in about something totally unrelated. The former librarian and high school teacher in our group grabbed Cathy’s hand, squeezed it hard which made her stop talking mid-sentence and then The Librarian gave some appropriate feedback and I swear there were tears threatening to roll down her cheeks.

Ms Angel is an accomplished writer, had a newspaper column about religion for over three decades and I used to read her during my searching for the meaning of life era. And I’ve said it before when I wrote about us meeting on a bus over the summer that we had an instant connection---I think in part because Ms Angel reminds me of my do-good cousin. They both work/ed for the church, both have the same voice quality and the same physical stature, eyes and hair coloring. Both would do anything for someone in need and they make the world a better place just by being themselves. I used to joke that I was glad I didn’t live next door to my cousin because she would have had me volunteering for all kinds of do-good projects and I wouldn't have the energy to keep up. 

I admire and like Ms Angel even though we are so different. I knew about her husband's suicide before she sat across the table in writing group and bared her soul about the worse day of her life. She found a way to end her essay in an upbeat way that shocked me and it shouldn’t have. It was a classic example of how a person’s religion gave her peace during a terrible time. When I was a mentor in the stroke community I saw lots of examples of angry people turning away from their God who, in their eyes, should have protected them from having the rug pulled out from under them, where Ms Angel saw her God as giving her the tools to get through her pain.

Mr. Graphic Artist was also in attendance and you may remember he hadn’t written anything since moving in and he had visualized spending his time here at the CCC writing full time which didn't happen. But since I started the group he's been working on poetry and this past month he was prolific. He brought a dozen short poems to read plus another from a book written by a pastor. He loaned the book to Ms Angel since it was poetry about near-death confessions and he thought she’d be able to relate to it having heard many of them in her work here with Hospice residents. The Librarian last time brought twenty pages of a book she was working on to read but this time she brought a one page poem that was pretty neat. It was a good thing, however, that she and Mr. Artist read their stuff before the powerful essay on the suicide was shared.

I read last and I brought two pieces but I only shared the essay about my childhood friend's dying recently that I posted here in my blog. I was glad I brought it because anything frivolous read after the suicide essay would have been bridge too far to go emotional for most of us or it would have fallen flat like the poem I didn't read about a sing-along birthday party here on campus. I also brought my copy of A Year of Writing Dangerously: 356 Days of Inspiration and Encouragement and quite by serendipity I had marked a page about baring one's soul. Reading it was the perfect way to end our meeting.

Since Chatty Cathy hadn't written anything new in a few years---except the poem written on the fly in group---we gave her an assignment. We suggested that she write about her stroke and how it changed her life. I’m trying really hard not to let my annoyance of this woman show. Others here on campus avoid sitting next to her at lectures, meals and parties but that isn't possible around a table of five. I know she can’t help her non-stop talking and I’m going to have to research ways to handle that kind of brain damage in stroke survivors. Grabbing her hand and squeezing it tight to make her stop talking won’t work for germaphobic me the way it did for The Librarian and it was exactly what was needed doing in that moment of time.  

All and all I was happy with our third group even if Chatty Cathy makes it feel like I'm walking in a mine field. How do we balance not hurting her feelings with the sense that she's wasting everyone's time if we don't interrupt her to give others their time for feedback? If we didn't cut her off she'd literally talk the whole session away. When my husband was in speech therapy after his stroke I learned techniques that helped with his non-verbal impulse control issues but as a family member, a caregiver or a speech pathologist you can redirect and say things you can't say or do in a group of random people gathered for whatever. 

That kind of research is what one side of me wants to do while the other side doesn't want to get back in the saddle---so to speak---where a stroke is taking me to a place I don't want to go again. Why do I have to have these selfish thoughts when faced with a dilemma like this when others like Ms Angel and my cousin seem to be able to let their compassion for others be their first and only responses? The best I can do is show compassion on the outside while having selfish thoughts on the inside and hoping that I'm a good enough actress to pull it off. ©

40 comments:

  1. "The best I can do is show compassion on the outside while having selfish thoughts on the inside and hoping that I'm a good enough actress to pull it off." That's a great contribution. It's a hard situation and I'm glad the class went so well otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so but it makes me feel like a fraud.

      Delete
    2. I think your desire to show compassion keeps you from being a fraud.

      Delete
    3. I’d say it makes you an existentialist, not a fraud.

      Delete
  2. Your writing group is really progressing. Whoever sits next to her should squeeze her arm to get the train back on the track. I think 5 or maybe six is plenty if you want everyone to participate! It would be fun to have a topic to write about next month ... one page, poetry, haiku, limericks, anything ... even singing it! Although I wouldn't like your weather, I would love to join!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the beginning I've said seven would be the ideal number. That way someone could miss a meeting and we'd still have enough to share to fill the hour. I was going to suggest a Christmas them for December but I didn't a written agenda this time and the power of Ms Angel's essay distracted most of us.

      Delete
  3. I was in a writing class many years ago and the teacher would make an announcement at the beginning of each session. She had a list of the students in the class and would work her way through the list, person by person, but they had a limit as to how much floor time each would get. If there weren't that many people, once the last person had a chance to read, the teacher would ask if anyone wanted to take a second opportunity. Not everyone was prepared to read each and every week, so it worked. The thing is to announce at the beginning how much time each person had -- if they had to split their work over two weeks time, so be it. (Unless the person that followed them wanted to surrender their time so the previous person could finish up.) The goal was for everyone to have equal time to share and have the rest of the group critique the work afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we get bigger that's would be a good tip to use about announcing the time, We did go around twice and ask if anyone had anything else to share and three of us did. Being so small yet I worry more about not filling the time than not everyone getting time to read. We can always go over, too, because dinner doesn't start for another hour and a half.

      Delete
  4. Maybe see if there are any volunteers to be hand squeezers. If several would then they could divide up the duty. Other than that, it seems you have had successful meetings. Good idea to research other methods to control the spontaneous talking. I really miss the intellectual stimulation of writing groups.
    Keep it going Jean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a rush to be in a group of people who all appreciate the process of writing isn't it. My biggest problem is I mostly write about my daily activities and I can't share that stuff because this place and these people are what I write about.

      The fact that the hand squeezing actually worked is very encouraging. I really hope she does write about her stroke because that might open the door to have a conversation about how to help her not talk out of place.

      Delete
  5. Your last sentence is brilliantly honest. I wish you well-- and know that whatever story you choose to share will be great. It's your audience that might be lacking, just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great Mr. King says you have to be honest with write even if it makes you look bad. Everyone in the group is accomplished in their fields before retirement. The Librarian sometimes facilitates our book club of 12-14 and she does a wonderful job. Ms Angel needs no other words beyond what I wrote above and Mr. Artist is a really neat, upbeat guy with major physical handicaps he's had most of his life. His sense of humor and mine are the same.

      Delete
  6. I suspect that, over time, the group as a whole will begin to develop an identity, and that will shape everyone's behavior. Right now, from this distance, it seems as much like a therapy group as a writing group, but that's partly a function of the subjects people have chosen. I like the suggestion of a common theme. Seeing how each person approached it would be interesting, and it might be easier to keep the focus on writing techniques: which work, and which don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right regarding a theme keeping us focused on the writing process. So far, we're tipsy-toing around writing techniques but we are trying. For example someone in the group is going to write an alternate ending to one of her pieces as suggested by anther person. I like the mental challenges of a group like this.

      Delete
  7. Perhaps neither Ms. Angel nor your cousin dealt day-to-day with a stroke victim? Dealing with it now in a meeting setting might not trigger the same emotions for them as it would you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know either way. But I was emerged in the stroke community for 12 1/2 years and I want to leave it behind. They've both had other hard life experiences that I haven't had so we're all basically even in my mind.

      Delete
  8. I admire Chatty Cathy for getting herself out there after a stroke and trying to continue a normal life. I appreciate that your group is patient and kind to her and that you are trying to find ways to help her adjust. Are any of you close enough to her to talk to her gently about this issue? Maybe she has suggestions of ways to help her.
    I am glad your writing group is working out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one here is close to her. She has daily caregivers who occasionally come with her to lectures. They would be the one I'd single out to approach the topic with. By writing about her stroke I'm hoping that will open the door to a discussion on her non-stop talking. Got to know for SURE it IS stroke related and not a stroke enhanced personality quirk.

      Delete
  9. It sounds like people are digging deep for the work they share and it takes a good deal of emotional courage to write so personally and deeply about significant and sad events and then be able to share it aloud. One needs great trust in the group. It's hard with Chatty Cathy -- do you think she might respond to something like the "talking stick" (or some other object) passed around for feedback -- so X reads and the stick goes around for feedback and when it comes to CC, she is reminded, "Do you have some feedback for X?" Then after, open it up for discussion if appropriate? It might be that rules and guidelines are the thing. Sometimes it doesn't need to happen but maybe the structure would help her. I admire your compassion amidst frustration. I know how hard that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about the 'talking stick'! Thanks for reminding me. I'll have to ask the others if they think using something like that would benefit our group. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. The last novel-writing group I joined had a strict 45-minute total for all discussion. When we all had arrived, one person would calculate how much time that gave each of us, and the timer then signaled us we had to stop. It was such a big and intense group that the tactic worked well, but perhaps it wouldn't be as easy with a more free-flowing discussion. However, I noticed that ila, independent living aids, sells a talking timer for $14.95, if such an aid should become necessary.

      Delete
    3. Oops. I misunderstood the purpose of that timer. Laughingly so. It "talks" and counts down the time left in a certain time interval.

      Delete
    4. I can see how it would be necessary/very helpful to have a person calculate how much time each person gets to talk and then actually time them. We are still at the learning stage of how we want to build our group. We all know we have a problem and we'd hoped it solved itself when CC didn't show up for the second meeting. The fact that we see each other times than just group gives a little different flavor to our group than others I've been in.

      Delete
  10. Jean, I think you are being a little hard on yourself. You are probably being triggered (or "activated" as my therapist daughter would say) by Chatty Cathy because you have been there, done that with your dear late husband, and CC is putting you right back in that time again. There are some people/situations that bother me greatly because they remind me traumatic experiences/persons I have had to endure in the past. Nothing to be done about it, but recognition of why I am so uncomfortable helps me to process my feelings.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't thought of it that way but you are absolutely right. In addition, when I moved here I vowed I wouldn't do anything I didn't want to do, after spending so many years in a caregiver role with Don and Dad before him,and CC is definitely giving me flashbacks.

      Delete
  11. Having a conversation with her caregivers sounds like a great place to start to maintain the general comfort of what sounds like a stimulating, rewarding gathering. How long is the meeting time?

    If working with the caretaker doesn't help, perhaps the Librarian, who had the courage to grab her hand might be willing to talk to her? I'd never heard of the talking stick, but that sounds like a great option too.

    Lastly, don't be hard on yourself for not wanting to relive the frustrations of caretaking. It's uniquely human to feel annoyance and compassion at the same time, and we've ALL been there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It's uniquely human to feel annoyance and compassion at the same time, and we've ALL been there!" That's really great to know. I guess the secret is to keep them balanced.

      The talk stick is meant as a tool to keep others from interrupting and from what I've seen the person holding the stick is timed before handing it off. Not sure if it would work with Chatty types.

      Delete
  12. I don't know much about stroke victims, so the uncontrolled talking effect is new to me. Her description actually made me think of a woman I know who jumps into any conversation with her own story. Some people seem to have that compulsion (my hubby calls it "I had a rhinocerous once too!"). Of course, her stroke may have caused it or just made it worse. But I understand how it is pushing your buttons given your background, and I (like others) think you're being too hard on yourself. We all have things that push our buttons based on our past -- especially at our age.

    Your writing group sounds wonderful, and I love being in a group when someone writes a piece that takes everyone's breath away. Those are the "real" stories and my favorite part of any writing group I've been in. I'm so glad you started a writing group. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we can keep growing so we never have to worry about there only be two of us show up.

      Impulse control issues can take lots of different forms. With my husband it was him pointing to logos on shirts and pants and trying to use that as a conversation started. Total strangers. And since a lot of T-shirt logos are on breast pockets and jean butts he get himself in trouble a couple of times. One woman said to him, "It's a good thing I'm an undercover cop who can read body language or you'd be out of that chair and in handcuffs right now." Another time he got us banned from a grocery store because the cashier went hysterical. Poor Don didn't have a clue what he'd done wrong but a police officer was smart enough to figure it was harmless and talked the girl out of pressing charges. even after all that, Don just couldn't stop from touching the police officer's badge. LoL

      Delete
  13. I'm glad that you enjoyed your CW group session so much. It seems that most of the attendees are feeling that it's a trusting environment and are able to share their work without any problem.

    It's unfortunate that you have to deal with a wild card like CC; it only takes one person to derail what you're trying to accomplish/build. I hope in time she either gets tired of the structure and attends infrequently, or she starts to lose interest as the group gets down to critique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled when she didn't show up for the second session and hope it wasn't a mistake to give her an assignment.

      Delete
  14. It's going to be interesting to see how things progress in your group. I'm impressed that the members are sharing their lives. It seems you are building a sense of trust among you, already.

    Jean, I read your last paragraph several times. I can identify with what you said. Thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of breaking that trust by blogging about what goes on in writing group.

      I was hoping others could identify with the mixed feelings I'm having.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Amen, sister! It's a hard, hard, burden to endure when someone does this kind of thing. The hand squeezing is the best approach I can imagine. Hopefully, others in your little circle will follow suit!

      Delete
    2. Oh, we are all aware of the problem. I just googled it and on site suggested five tips...

      "Set a time limit to the conversation. Most people who like to talk a lot will respect your limits if you set a clear expectation with them. ...
      Make your talker feel heard. ...
      Don't be afraid to be assertive and enforce boundaries. ...
      Take time away for yourself. ...
      Treat people with kindness."

      Delete
  16. I don't think your Thoughts are the least bit Selfish, you Lived that experience Daily for a very long time involuntarily and it's not a pleasant one, so why would anyone want to revisit that voluntarily? When it's Family, it's different, you deal with what you must when Loved Ones take a very bad turn in Health, be it Physical, Mental or Emotional... Caregivers are Selfless so much of that Role that once you're no longer one, why go back? Especially with someone you're not Invested in? Your Compassion still is there for this Woman, but it could very well be a Trigger for you. I know some things are for me, in the Dealing of things I no longer HAVE to Deal with, and don't want to ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get it, I know you do with your life experiences. We willingly make the effort for someone we've loved and known for years but for someone new in our realms...it just isn't the same.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.