Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Band-Aids and IT Services

Do you know how many Band-Aids I’ve been through this year? Me neither but it’s a lot. Between keeping the surgical stitches covered on my hands and the Mole From Hell on my ankle I’m running through twenty-one a week and that’s not even counting the ones I destroy before I even get one of those sticky suckers in place. I can’t see the spot on my ankle without putting a hand mirror on the floor and I ruined a lot of bandages until I got my Covid vaccination recently. I watched the pharmacist put a Band-Aid on my arm and that’s when it dawned on me why she didn’t pull the paper away from both ends of the bandages before applying one end in place. Eighty years old and I’m just now learning how to do this correctly? But then I was also eighty when I learned that putting the creamer in a coffee cup before putting in the coffee makes it taste better so I suppose I'm just a slower learner. Either way I’m as happy as a male echidnas. (Did you know they have a four-headed penis and during sex they can alternate between using them?) Back on topic: No more wasted Band-Aids in this house, thank you very much. What will I learn next? Computer coding? Why Taylor Swift can't find true love? As of next week I’ll be down to using just one Band-Aid a day---the stitches come out of my hand November 8th and then I’ll just have to deal with the Mole From Hell on the 14th.

Life is sure exciting here in Old People Land, isn’t it. This morning I got woke up at 5 AM because the fire truck and ambulance was here again. Hint: Unless you’re the noisy type who wants to know who gets a ride to the hospital don’t pick a room in an independent or assisted living facility that overlooks the main entrance. We have two residents here in Covid quarantine right now so my bingo chip is on one of their names but it could very well have been someone else who needed emergency assistance. I don’t know because I went back to bed after checking out what woke me up. It was heaven sleeping without the inference of the UTI that had me wearing a path from the bed to the bathroom for the past four weeks. I thought for sure someone would find me in a pool of urine, dead from an undetected bladder cancer, but the doctor finally found the right antibiotic and according to my sleep app I had two nights in row where I only got up twice during the night to pee. One night I actually had over three hours of deep sleep. I've never even came close to three hours in the 2+ years of me keeping track.

I finally got down to visit my brother since he moved into the Memory Care building next door. I wanted to wait until he had time to settle in before he got overwhelmed with too much going on. He looks great, Niece Number Two was there at the same time and the three of us had a good conversation. A worker there told me he’s not venturing out of his room much yet, but I’m guessing they're giving him time before they push too much on him too soon. 

If you have someone in a care facility that used the Sagely app to track their a patients activities and schedule, I’m getting signed up to use it. His building and mine share the same Activities Director---she’s in charge of the app---and I know her well enough to fish her information on how I can help. He’s still eating most of meals his room and I’m thinking maybe if I go over once or twice a week before lunch and I could encourage him to go to the dining room if I kept him company. While I’m there maybe I’d figure out who is using a corner set up with a rack of baby clothing to put on a box of naked dolls. If I ever get moved over to that building I hope my nieces remember to tell them I’ve never had an children so if I don’t know how to diaper a life-sized doll it’s because I “never birthed no babies” to quote a line from Gone With the Wind and not because I’ve forgotten how. This spying on my future, could be useful if I keep a ‘do and don’t’ notebook for my nieces. I'd write down a note to never let me say "no" to the chocolate cake. It comes from Costco and it's to die for. Also I'd write down to not set my TV to the Old People's channel.

The IT guy has already been to my brother’s room a couple of times to fix the TV because, well, because the CCC employs two full time IT guys to straighten them out when residents mess up their remote buttons. I joke that I've already solved that problem. I only watch Netflix’s on the television in the bedroom and the news on the TV in the living room. Even so those remotes in buildings like this are evil. They can change the channels on your neighbor’s TV so you never know if you’re mind is slipping or the building is out to get you. But seriously, one of my nieces is getting a simplified, old people remote for her dad that the IT guy will program. 

My upstairs neighbor and I have an agreement that we don’t mess with the light in our bedroom ceiling fans after 11:00 at night because whatever one of us does with our fan remotes, it happens to both our fans. They tell us the IT guys can put one of the remotes on a different channel to solve the issue but we’re both afraid we’d just end up on someone’s channel and it won’t be as easy to figure out who it is to make that same 11:00 agreement with. The IT guys are super good with old people, they look at us like job security. They even teach a monthly class on device related issues. I don’t know if the residents in my brother’s building get charged for IT services but after the basic set ups, we do so it still pays to learn to try to solve your own issues before calling them. ©  

If I'm still wear a bandage on my mole next spring when I'm wearing shorter pants, I'm getting some of these. 

39 comments:

  1. I'm happy about the bandages but that's a nuisance about the remotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be worse. One lady here once had a garage door that would open every time a plane went over...

      Delete
  2. Tooo funny. Bacon band-aids! Totally cool. I, who sport at least one band-aid most of the time (have one on my first finger/right hand right now) could seriously use some of those band-aids! LOL Hope your hand is healing nicely. Take care... and btw, that chocolate cake from CostCo IS to die for! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the bacon bandages quite by accident when I was looking for the correct spelling of Band-Aids, Aren't they funny. When we sit around the fire on our piazza we put our feet up on the stone ledge around it so everyone would see a slice of bacon on my ankle...so I will get those if I'm still having to cover the surgery site by then. Hopefully, not though.

      Delete
  3. Glad your doctor found the right medication to treat your UTI. They are no fun! I just keep eating craisins and taking D-Mannose/Cranberry Extract supplements. Sometimes I wonder if supplements actually work, but these really have helped me.

    I'll bet you'll be able to encourage your brother to join you in the dining room. Good idea!

    I should have bought stock in Band Aids years ago. I used to buy whatever was on sale, but now I like the name brand ones that are like fabric. Just seeing those bacon strips makes my mouth water for a good breakfast buffet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to buy the cranberry supplements then quit because I wondered if they actually did any good. I now think I know the answer.

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear that you are recovering. UTI's are nasty. The interruption of sleep is unforgiving. Nothing like a restful, deep sleep to put us right with the world again. Glad to hear your brother is settling in ok.

    The remotes! Wow! The walls must be thin??? Otherwise, how are the signals going through walls to turn on your neighbor's devices?

    Had to look up echidnas; the males must be pretty busy with all that reproductive/pleasure equipment! Ha! Glad you are able to find some humor in all of what is going on. I live in a condo building that is technically not 55 plus, but essentially everyone who lives here is old. I'm grateful for my relative good health, but am reminded every day I am looking at my future, as I see folks struggle with falls, mobility issues and dementia.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The remotes use radio signals, I'm totd. They go through walls just fine. The one I have in my bedroom you don't even have to aim at the TV like my older TV remotes do. There are four styles of ceiling fans in our buildings and my upstairs neighbor two flights up and I have the same style and channel.

      That daily reminder is something hard to ignore at times isn't it. The only down side of living in a 55 plus community.

      Delete
  5. My "rules" for when they put me in memory care includes that no one be allowed to turn any of my electronics (radio/TV/computer) on but ME. I live in fear that "they" will put on some asinine TV program or country/western music that would be torture to me. Too, before they put me into memory care or any other "nursing home" setting, they are to starve me for 90 days so that my weigh-in weight at the "home" is low enough that I shall never be "forced" to eat in order to keep from losing weight to below that weigh-in mark.
    It will be nice when you are able to get down to your zero goal on the bandaids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your rule about electronics! I,too, fear having to listen to or watch media that makes my blood boil but I'd no longer have a voice to make someone change a channel.

      Delete
  6. So glad you got to visit your brother and he is doing pretty good. Good idea about going with him to meals. We did that with my Mom where she made friends and learned to go by herself.
    Bacon strips huh? Callie would probably chew them off my wound. Ooh ooh, wonder what the free prize is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, like who looks for a free prize in a box of bandages? LoL I wonder if they would fool a dog.

      One of the guys here had a daughter who'd come eat with her day every night for a month to get him to come down and she'd introduce herself and him around until he made friends and started coming down on his own. She is such a good daughter

      Delete
  7. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would want a remote to turn a fan on and off. I suppose that was inevitable once remotes for turning lights on and off showed up. But beyond that, the thought of 'channel switching' or 'channel sharing' seems -- well, something. Why not just dangle a cord from the fan that you can pull if you want it on, or want to change the speed? My light/fan combo has two cords: one plain, and one beaded. All I have to do if I want something changed in the middle of the night is sit up, pull the appropriate cord, and voila! instant satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our fans don't have cords. The remotes are good if you want to turn off the fan in the middle of the night or turn it on. Our world really does overdue the remote thing, doesn't it. That doesn't bother me as much as needing a phone app to set up stuff that could and should be independent from our phones.

      Delete
    2. The only fan in our house (because Hunky Husband didn't want fans) is in my den. It has chain pulls, but the ceiling is high enough that I need a step stool to reach the chains. Fortunately, when we built the house, the electrician gave me a wall switch with a slide control for the speed and an intensity control for the lights. I still need a step stool to reverse rotation for summer/winter.

      Delete
    3. I had a fan like that in my old house and I bought a chain extender that solved the problem and created another. It hit the tall people in the the head.

      Delete
  8. I love those band aids! I should get some of those for the grands. Although, they'd probably prefer Transformers or Buzz Lightyear. I'm glad you got to see your brother. I bet you'd both enjoy lunching together. Nice you are in the same general area. OK -- way weird about the fans. Just weird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try the lunch thing today. I'm not so sure about enjoying it, in a Memory Care unit but I think my brother probably would be better off adapting to the meal schedules there. Otherwise he might get overlooked and not fed if he stays in his room. People in my building who have spouses there go at meal time to make sure they eat.

      Delete
  9. I hope your brother adapts well and makes some friends. He's fortunate to have you and his niece there to help with these transitions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His daughters are very caring and special. They are doing all anyone could ask for in a situation like a parent going into a specialized care. I met one of his full time caregivers today and she was very warm and upbeat.

      Delete
  10. we had a neighbor with the same ceiling fan as us. I was reading on our 3rd floor. The lights went out. So I grabbed the remote and turned it back on. It went off again. This happened for 2 days. Then it occurred to my husband that perhaps our neighbor has the same fan. So we brought it next door and he burst out laughing. Apparently his son was being yelled at to turn off the lights and go to bed. I was turning it back on. His father thought he was lying. Poor kid. Hubby knew to just get a ladder and change the code on the inside. I saw that and thought - oh my goodness if I could reach it I could do it too! So he kept his the same and then just ours was changed to a different number. No such frequency stuff. Just change the number on one fan and that's all it takes! And less than 5 minutes to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I guess they're pre-programmed with different radio frequencies and you just have to pick a number from one to five, like Rick did, and it switches to another frequency. The poor kid!!!!

      Delete
  11. Some things take us a bloody long time to figure out how to do somethings so simple

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you learned a handy way with bandaids. I hate wasting those. I am glad you are helping out your brother. I am sure it is confusing and scary for him sometimes. How many siblings do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's my only sibling. He seems to be doing well settling in. Although I think it's common for people living in memory care to want to go 'back home' from time to time so it wouldn't surprise me if that comes up in the future.

      I went to a dementia lecture tonight for families of people living there and got a few good tips like: 1) never argue, 2) hold conversations knee to knee when ever possible, and 3) when going on outings like to a restaurants seat the person with dementia where they see the lease amount of stimulation.

      Delete
  13. Glad to read that the UTI situation is resolved! Those bandages are a hoot. Wonder how long it would take some people to realize you didn’t actually slap a piece of bacon on your leg 🤣.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! If they didn't mention it they'd probably think it was real.

      Delete
  14. Your remotes activate each other's fans? That's hilarious. I take your point about not messing with them, though. You have a solution, it works, why toy with success?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbor with the "twin fan" lives two floors directly above me and we both tend to have them on at the same time, when they is no breeze in the summer. It's a running joke and we call each other over it.

      Delete
  15. What a hoot about your twin fans. Sounds way less scary than what you hear and read about people hacking into wi fi doorbells or thermostats.

    Why wait to order bacon bandaids? You're an artist. Start doodling on regular bandaids now with some coloured Sharpies. You'll be the talk of the dining room yet again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a funny/fun idea to doodle on Band-Aids. Too bad I didn't post this topic earlier. I'll be down to one bandage so and it's the one on my ankle that doesn't show this time of the year with long pants.

      I worry about all the devices and household things that depend on Wi-Fi and radio waves. It can't be good for birds. Apps are another over done think, in my opinion. I wanted to buy a blood pressure monitor last month and had a hard time finding one that didn't require an app on your phone.

      Delete
  16. I feel like eistein since I figured out band-aid trick in my 40s & creamer trick was taught to me by one of my south of India friend who are famous in India for their coffee style & she was appalled by my way of making coffee so taught me this trick & since then I love my homemade coffee. I am so glad you are in same facility with your brother so can spend more time together, going for lunches together sounds like fun. I have also followed my brother whole my life not only I became Engineer because he is the one & moved next door to him when we planned to hsve our second baby ofcourse baby plan did not work, but we are next door neigbhour to him & can be help to each other in everything, right now going through Mom's hospital stays & doctor visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a mom to your awesome son gave you a lot more experience with Band-Aids than I had. LoL But you are mega smart!!! I should have asked you about making coffee a long time ago so I wouldn't have to learn it from a TV show. All those wasted years of sub-standard coffee preparation makes me sad.

      Have a great holiday season, Asha! It's fast approaching. Sorry to hear about your mom and it is nice to have family support near by in time of need.

      Delete
  17. Wait....I don't know what you said after "four-headed penis".... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't even know that someone else's Remote could change a Device in another person's Home, but, I guess it makes sense since most of them are Universal Devices. When one of ours is acting up we use the one for another TV we have in the Home and it always works fine on whatever TV you're using. At this Home we don't use a Remote for the Ceiling Fans. I'm glad you got to spend time with your Brother and they're allowing him to do things at his own Pace for a less stressful transition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's still doing fine...little minor stuff like losing his wallet and having it go through their washing machine twice are to be expected but the staff in places like that never have a dull moment.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.