Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, November 12, 2022

The Great Closet Project Part One

I’ve fallen off the discipline wagon when it comes to writing blog posts. The one I posted earlier this week about my dreams was one I wrote and originally scheduled for the week after my hand surgery but I didn’t use it because my recovery was faster than I anticipated and I wrote a post in real time instead. I’m totally off my sync for when I write and when I play and partly that’s because I’ve been doing something a few of my blog followers have been laying a quilt trip on me for not doing sooner. Yes, someone out there in Bloggerland shamed me into starting the Great Closet project. Thank you. I needed the kick in the posterior.

The photos below might not look like they have much to do with a closet makeover but they do and it took me a three day weekend to swap that short bookcase in the living room out for the tall one in my closet. And I moved them all by not-so-little self…with the help of my handy dandy E-Z Movers pictured above. Living in an apartment house, means I had to get my E-Z Mover kit out of storage and put it back down there again which involved an elevator ride down to the underground cage storage area that is attached to our underground parking lot. 

Nothing is easy when it come to storing items you don’t use often when you live in an apartment building. For one thing you have to be fully dressed to make the trip and if you get creeped out easily you won’t be going down there after dark. It doesn’t bother me---it’s well lite and we’re not in a high crime area---but some people think they’re going to get mugged in those lonely hallways. Those are the same people who avoid underground parking and storage after dark who also keep their second and third floor deck doors locked because presumably some mastermind could rappel off the roof down to their decks to steal their family silverware. Not going to happen. I’m on the ground level and I didn’t even close my deck door all summer long, let alone lock it. With twenty-five apartments and the security guard’s desk having a clear view of my deck, I feel completely safe and the only action out front of my apartment during the middle of the night are the geese that are fooled by the bright lights. They think it's daylight and they walk around like they own the place.

Since we’re talking storage areas I’m proud of the fact that I don’t have extra boxes littering up the floor in front of my car the way about ten people do. Management is starting to lean of them about it and I don’t blame them. It’s been a year that we’ve all been living here and if you can’t find room inside your apartment or cage storage for 10-30 boxes of stuff it’s time to let go. I understand it though. If you don’t want to donate it, we’re limited on how to sell stuff.

Anyway back on topic: The first picture below shows the way my living room looked with the short bookcase and the other picture is of the taller bookcase taking its place. And if you're wondering what the heck they have to do with overhauling my clothes closet. Quite a lot, actually. With the lower bookcase now in the closet it frees up the wall above it up to get maintenance in to put a shelf and clothes rod, giving me three more feet of space to hang hangers. The tall bookcase was full of boxes and folded T-shirts, etc., and paring that stuff down involved making another elevator ride down to put some donation bags in my car to drop off at the Salvation Army. The back seat of car looks like a storage unit, by they way. It’s filled with toilet paper and paper towel. The last few months when I’d look around my apartment to make a grocery list I’d put those two items on the list, forgetting I didn’t have room on my cart to bring them upstairs the last few times I’d been shopping. Once I remember the back seat of my car looks like the paper products aisle at Meijer I won't have to buy those items all winter long.


Anyway, now that I've made the swap of the bookcases I was able to  put in a work request to Maintenance for the new bar/shelf combo. He’s also going to replace the tension rod with a regular rod. Both will cost me under $75 but worth it not to have clothes that are wrinkled from hanging too close together or being folded up on the bookcase. I though about having the closet designer company come out, gut the closet and start over. I’ve seen their work and know it would look better but it would cost over $1,500 and I’d rather spend that money elsewhere…like on new clothes. I’ve already started by making a trip to Land’s End where I bought the first part of jeans I’ve own since the last century. 

While I’m in a holding pattern waiting for Maintenance I’m starting part two of the Great Closet Project---trying on everything to determine if it stays or goes. I'm terrible about holding on to things I don't like wearing or that doesn't fit right---not a good thing if I ever get moved over to Memory Care or assisted living and I have to depend on a caregiver to help dress me. What a frustrating mess that would be for both of us.

Part three will be the fun part of making a few purchases to fill in the gaps when I get rid of some thread-bare pants and tops that have seen better days.

The short book case now in the closet
---boxes hold, purses, hats, scarves and mending.

The swap will also have an added benefit of bringing music back into my life…as soon as the maintenance man comes and can drill a hole to pass a plug through the back of the bookcase in the living room. I had the CD player on the short bookcase but I couldn’t keep my CDs out where they were easy to get at---they were under my bed---so they never got played. I really miss country western music. I realized that the other day when I sat in underground parking listening to my car radio. I would have stayed there all afternoon except that I had ice cream melting in a grocery bag. Songs like in the video below make me happy. For my writing group (update in my next blog post)  I've been writing poems like this song---the concept being to take a simple idea and turning it into a mini slice-of-life. ©


45 comments:

  1. 😊 Thank you for the pictures! 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could take better photos. My hands are too shaky. I used to love photography.

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of a maintenance man on call. Most guys I call charge almost the $75 just to pull into the driveway. Glad you will have your music back. Had to smile at that video. If you substituted soft chair for cold beer, that pretty much sums me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our fees for Maintenance are going up after New Years' but still will be reasonable at $45 an hour with many things still free like changing filters on the dishwasher and clothes washer, lighting, working on the AC or heat and water.

      I love your version of the song! LoL I'm not a beer drinker so it would suit me better, too. It just reminds me of lazy summer days.

      Delete
  3. Kudos on the reorganization efforts. I have trouble ridding myself of clothing that my daughter bought for me or that I wore on special occasions, even if they're now out of date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sentimental over certain clothing, too. I have a dozen reasons to hold on to things but very few ways to talk myself out of purging clothing. Someone else helping me do that would probably send me into a depression, worrying about letting go before I was ready.

      Delete
  4. I share you love of country music! Enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something about country western that makes me happy. I've tried to like classical music but it usually makes me sad after a half hour or so. Thanks for reading me!

      Delete
  5. I've really appreciated my own E-Z Movers. I don't even recall when/where I bought them but they have been a real boon as I've aged (to 85, so far). When younger, living in Albuquerque, I was able to move even the largest pieces of my furniture by myself. Without the E-Z Movers, I would no longer be able to do that.
    I love setting stuff out on our driveway (not an option for apartment dwellers) and counting the (usually) minutes until it disappears.
    Great on your music! You will surely enjoy your CDs. I took the easy way out, copying my 100s of CDs onto a flash drive and obtaining a multi-media radio with a USB port.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those E-Z Movers are wonderful! We oldies but goodies could make them a great commercial.

      I've debated about getting a better unit to play my CDs on and/or copying them over to a flash drive but doing that and doing my photos to a flash drive seems like such big, boring projects. I really should do it in case I need to downsize again.

      Delete
    2. I hear you. I've been struggling with 8 generations' worth of photos. CDs went much faster. (Of course, I failed to realize in my comment that much of my music was from Amazon - purchased in mp3 files so I didn't have to convert 33 1/3, 45, and 78 rpm records - but some had been converted from tape cassettes (most of which I didn't bother with).

      Delete
  6. You have to make use of every inch when you are downsizing and you sure know how to do that!
    I listen to music on YouTube a lot. I like Motown music from the 70s and when I ride my Exercycle, I will look for a Motown mix on YouTube and blare that from my computer as I sing along while I ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always worried about wearing out my computer if I use it like a radio. I like Motown from time to time and Jimmy Buffet type music.

      I do know how to make use of every inch I often start with the size I need to downsize to and measure what needs to fit in certain places or on certain shelves to achieve the goal. That tells me how much I have to purge and how much I can keep.

      Delete
    2. Kudos to you for getting started! This kind of project takes at least two passes through the clothing as you may find that you still don't wear things you kept. Have fun getting new items to fill the gaps. I do like the looks of the taller bookcase in the living room as it provides a nice end to your sitting area.

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I had similar thoughts about the taller bookcase but I wasn't sure if it was true or if my mind just 'made it up' to make me feel better about the swap.

      Waiting for the maintenance man could take until after Thanksgiving. He's got the outside to get ready for winter and lots of one year warranty stuff to check out inside. Right now they are looking for settling cracks to fix.

      I never thought I'd like wearing jeans again but those pants are quickly becoming my favors so I know I'll be able to let go of some thread bare stuff easier.

      Delete
  7. You've been busy, and with a really worthwhile project. It's hard to believe you've been in your new home a year! You've really settled in and embraced life there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have embraced the life style here. We are a tight knit community. I'm not an A lister here but maybe a low B lister when it comes to taking part in our grand social experiment. And that really suits me.

      Delete
  8. I listen to music almost exclusively on my computer, both as streams from YouTube and from CDs. In fact, I've loaded all of my CDs onto the computer, and made up some personal playlists. The biggest problem I've run into is an inability to sync the computer with my iPad and iPhone. Apparently there's some way to do it, but my patience has limits. Anyway, of all the things that could cause your computer to die, I don't think too much music is going to do it. Play on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine carrying my computer around with me from room to room to listen to it or set up speakers. And my phone speaker would not be loud enough. I'll just stay old school because there is only so much techie stuff I can absorb at this point in my life.

      Delete
    2. Ah. Well, my place is so small that anywhere I want to listen to music, the computer does it for me -- and I do have a PC with terrific speakers, rather than a laptop. I couldn't carry it around if I wanted to. It covers the kitchen, living room, and dining area, and I never listen to music in my bedroom or bath anyway!

      Delete
    3. I still miss having a desk top computer with good speakers. I've been looking at a good Bose media player with a Bluetooth head set. With my bad hearing I couldn't have the volume loud enough on a computer.

      Delete
  9. Hmmm, never heard of E-Z movers - I should investigate! I have some slide-y discs that I put under furniture (I call them my "moving men"), that enable me to move heavier items by myself. I'm in the same place as you, Jean. Trying to make the most of a much smaller space - every inch counts! Cute song...I don't usually listen to country music but don't hate it. I like that the songs are often about every day people dealing with every day things...like wanting to enjoy the day with a cold beer in hand instead of doing chores. To which I say: why not do both at the same time? A glass of wine and great music on the radio has helped me get through more than a few boring afternoons of household chores when I was younger.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think. Wine and chores. What could go wrong. LoL

      The slide-y discs are probably the same as in the E-Z Mover kit. The long bar like thing helps you lift the edge of a piece of furniture so you can put the discs in place. Then you lower it and the whole thing slides along the floor as if we actually had muscles. Then you use the lift thing again to get the discs back out.

      Delete
  10. I love re-organizing, furniture moving, purging projects! They energize me. I have one in my future that I keep putting off - the closet in my office/music room is a hot mess and it needs help. Most days I just shut the door and walk away after digging through (and moving) a ton of junk to get to what I want. I guess the weather will finally force me indoors enough to do that --maybe. I applaud your work, and I wish I had a handyman available as you do!

    Also, I will never understand people who feel the need to lock balcony/deck doors that have no access without a ladder or a helicopter. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't get the deck balcony door lockers either. We have a lady on the third floor who thinks I'm taking my life in my hands not locking my door. I'm going to get raped and beat up and thrown to the wolves. Even locking hers she doesn't feel safe.

      My office closet is a hot mess too. You mean they aren't supposed to be that way?

      Delete
    2. Ha! Well, we have been here for two years now, and I keep putting it off. I'm not hopeful...I jammed Covid tests and masks in there on top of the other mess. LOL.

      Delete
    3. You just reminded me that part of the closet project involve reorganizing my laundry room selves because I had health care stuff like Covid tests and on my bedroom bookcase. We could have a contest to see whose mess is worse.

      Delete
  11. Your comment about being dressed by someone else brought to mind when my mother was first at an assisted living type place to rehab after a fall. The director of nurses took me aside to tell me a couple of anecdotes about her. The LVN helping my mother get ready for a doctor's appointment told the director that when she commented on how nice my mother looked in her pretty sweater and lipstick, my mother replied "You never know when the doctor might be a stud."

    And the second anecdote was when the occupational therapist was observing my mother using the bathroom to be sure she could safely do it on her own. She didn't quite get her pants pulled up all the way over her behind and the therapist pointed that out to her. My mother said "Now you know what kind of girl I am." At that time, she was 92.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see where you got your sense of humor. These stories are hilarious. Thanks for sharing them.

      Delete
  12. I wish I owned stock in EZ Movers. What a great invention. I smiled when I read that you moved your bookcases with them. Way to go!

    Purging the closet is a task. I think Juhli said it might take a couple passes, and I'll confess I've gone through mine half a dozen times, at least. Something that woke me up a few months ago was seeing a huge line of people waiting for the doors to open at a local charity that does wonderful work. I had a small load and as I pulled up to the drop off spot, I really looked at the people waiting. I'd say the majority were in their 70s. People of all races and most of them looked clean, but their clothing was very worn. I could tell that none of them had had a professional haircut in a long time, and when they smiled at me, I could see most needed dental work. It really hit me hard. When I got home, I started going through things, again. I struggle getting rid of some things and I grew up very little, so my tendency is to save stuff--cuz you never know. When I called my daughter and told her about that long line of people who were obviously needy, she got busy and gathered a carload of stuff to donate. I'm still working on my closet, but I'm down to one and I halved my number of coats and jackets.

    Jean, I think your plan for your closet re-do makes good sense. Having maintenance help you makes sense, too. I think you'll really like it. And as many have already said, the tall bookcase looks great in your living room. You will love having easy access to your music again. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always takes a couple of weeks after we put in a work order to get the work done, but this time of the year I expect to wait longer. But it will be fun. I'm looking forward to not having my clothes packed in to tight. More than once I've had to wash something that was clean because of wrinkles. My neighbor has her clothes hanging an inch apart. Love her closet and wardrobe!

      I need to go through my winter gloves, scarves and hats to donate. Thanks for the reminder

      Delete
  13. I love the big one in the living room! It's like a whole new place. And music at your fingertips. You will love having the new closet ... once you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know! Once I made up my mind to get started I wish I could have finished yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good grief, you put me to shame! Well done, Jean -- that's a huge big project, all the parts. But I love the look of the tall book case and it makes some good sense -- you'll like the new rod. Golly, I never think about wrinkles... I haven't even got an iron. Sounds like peer pressure at the CCC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peer pressure coming from within. I don't like wearing wrinkled clothing, never have. It's been many years since I've bought things that need ironing although I do own an iron for sewing.

      Delete
  16. I love cleaning closets! I'm good at getting rid of stuff...eventually. I might hang on just a bit too long, but then, boom!, I'm done and probably 'over-compensate' and get rid of a lot! It feels so good to see a well-organized, tidy, accessible closet. Simple pleasures. (And sometimes, half of me wants a Starbucks Mocha. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too on the Starbucks rather than a beer. I don't even like beer.

      I hang on to clothing so long I actually still have and still wear a sweater that is over 50 years old. Wore it at a wedding so I have proof. Got lots of ten year old pants in my closet.

      Delete
  17. Re-Organizing is Energizing. I've done some myself in the part of my Closet that has Shelving. Since The Grandsons Move-Out I was able to empty the Shelves of my Heat Sensitive Collections that used to be in the Guest Bedroom and The Young Prince removed. Now I have empty Shelves to actually put what should be in my Closet. I preferred my large Walk-In Closets at both the Historic Home and The McManse, this Home's Closet Spaces are Modest by comparison and just have those sliding Barn-Type Doors in our Master... a His and Hers, but, I only get the Hers... dammit. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about heat sensitive storage. We have cage storage and cabinet shortage here and only the cage one is in climate controlled rooms. Gotta think about what to put where.

      Delete
  18. Your new bookcase is stylish and practical. I like how you've repurposed the smaller one. Earlier this year we redid our walk-in closet making the space inviting. It was energizing to purposefully make the space our own, even if it was just a closet. I like Thomas Rhett's twang. I don't hear music like his often but it does take me back to childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so many bookcases before I moved, all the same oak, most I left behind in the house for the new owners who also wanted the library to stay a library. I have three more here in the apartment.

      I like his twang, too. Always sounds playful to me.

      Delete
  19. I do like the taller bookshelf in the living room. Not sure why but it seems cozier. Glad you're working on the closet. It is such a relaxing feeling to have your closet set up like you want when you go to look for something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the new living room book case. Sometimes I'm not sure I can trust my impressions when it's something like this.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.