Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Christmas Day in Chaos


Blizzard warnings were all over the United States (except for one place where they had Lizzard warnings posted). Christmas eve and morning blowing winds and snow had already caused crashes and car pileups on the icy roads in the area. I was hoping my nephew would call and cancel their Christmas get-together. But he didn’t and after he picked me and my brother up to go to his son’s house it took us an hour and a half to travel what would normally take twenty minutes and the extra time was not because of the weather. My nephew is into four wheeling and he took us on a joy ride on two-track dirt roads that were buried somewhere under the snow and ran through beautiful, quiet woods full of ups and downs and around curves. No houses in sight, no where to walk for help and no one would come if you did call so I resisted whipping out my cell phone to see if we even had cell service.

My nephew was having the time of his life. Apparently he’d been on these same roads---if you could even call them that---the day before. His wife was in the back seat reminding him every so often that their grandkids were waiting for their presents. My brother, his dad, was also in the backseat sputtering that he never should have built him a dune buggy when he was eleven-twelve years old because he hasn’t slowed down since. “Are you scared?” I asked him. “Darn right I am!” my brother answered. By then I had relaxed and was reliving going through that same, snowing woods back when my husband  and I thought snowmobiling was more fun than anything on earth. My nephew said it was only fitting that he take me four wheeling because it was my husband who introduced him to the sport.

I remember that summer Saturday well. My husband had taken a gaggle of pre-teens to a mud run including my nephew. To this day I believe that people who purposely go on roads where the mud is deep enough to suck a truck down in past its hubcaps are crazy. They came back from the mud run with not only the Chevy covered in mud, so was Don and the boys, and they were smiling ear to ear and ready for pizza.

As bad as the weather was on Christmas weekend, I felt safer there with my nephew on those two-tracks than I did out on the roads with other cars traveling to and from their holiday parties. And I was doing my "I'm impressed" aunt impression. At one point I complimented my nephew's driving skills and the cool sound his jeep was making. Little did I know I was going to get a ten minute explanation on how he’d just changed some pipes on his muffler to get that growling sound.

Finally we got to where we were going which was a mad house of four kids all under the age of six or seven, two large dogs, four pet rats and a cat that was so fat I thought it was ready to deliver a litter of kittens until I was told that was an impossibility. “Do I want to hold my rat?” I was asked before even getting my coat off. “No, thank you.” The floor, by the way, was littered with so many Christmas gifts and their discarded wrapping paper and boxes you could barely see the carpet and no one seemed to notice my brother was picking up his walker trying to wade through the mess instead of using it to support his unsteady walking. I held my breath until he reached a place to sit. And did I mention in the chaos going on there were three drones flying around the great room?

One little boy seemed to take a liking to me and he appointed me to hold his brand new watch off and on all afternoon while he’d go off to fly his drone around his father who was cooking at a huge island on the other side of the great-room and every time the adults turn their back the cat would be on the island proudly showing us how he got so fat in the first place until he finally got banished to the bedroom.

“What grade are you in?” I asked the boy. “I don’t know, I’m home schooled. I don’t even know what real school is.” When I told him I had a dog with the same name as him he asked me how I picked that name. “It’s the same name as a great-grandfather of mine and yours.” Just then his dad called out to me, “Can I fix you a plate of shrimp and dip?”

“No thanks, I’m allergic.”

“How allergic?”

“If I eat it I will die allergic.”

“Where do I stand in the will, aunt Jean?” he teased. 

There were only two places in the living room to sit because the left-overs of Christmas were piled high everywhere which by default seemed to be reserved for my brother and me unless I'd get up temporarily to forage for snacks for my brother and me. Then my spot would quickly get filled in by a large dog whose been part of the household since before the kids came long. Nothing seemed to bother him. Not Silly Putty molded to his head, not flying fairies shot from a windup toy. At one point my brother and I was sitting there like we were watching a movie---all the other adults busy at the island, the kids running every which way burning off the sugar high they were on---and my brother said, “I’ve been here before and it’s always like this.” 

I’m proud to say I survived the chaos of Christmas 2022 and I came home with a half a block of the best smoked Philadelphia cream cheese in the world. My great-nephew does all the cooking in the family and smoking stuff is his specialty. And both I and the cat can attest to the fact that his Christmas ham was to die for. ©


40 comments:

  1. Wow! What an adventure. I'd be exhausted. Are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was some trip and visit! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not used to being around that many kids is such a small space for such a long time.

      Delete
  3. Lizzard Warning, LMAOROTF. Sounds like a joyful and typical Family Christmas with Children present, they are what make the Holidays most Interesting and they are a constant source of Blog Fodder. You could probably Create several Posts regaling us, I'm sure. It reminded me of a Chevy Chase Christmas or Home Alone sequel. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing something is going to give me great blog fodder gets me through a lot of situations. I've even been known to take notes while the chaos is going on. lol

      Delete
  4. Oh wow... I've never had smoked cream cheese... must be fantastic! Your story reminds me of the time when my father came to visit one Christmas morning and jokingly said, "You'd be better off just burning this place down and rebuilding rather than trying to clean it up." There were kids and paper and ribbons all over the place... 2-3 ft. deep at times. I was kind of hurt by his comment until I realized he was just joking -- a poor taste kind of joke, but a joke, nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That smoked cream cheese was warm too and I was able to zap it in the microwave, too recreated it fresh out of the smoker. My Great-Nephew loves to try new recipes and that was something new he created. He showed me the spices he used but I don't remember what they were.

      I'm guessing most house with kids looked the same on Christmas but it seems like other places I've been they pick things up after a few hours and company starts coming in.

      Delete
  5. Well you sure can't say you had a boring Christmas. I am exhausted just reading about it but it certainly was fun and exciting. Hope you are resting up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next day I was still exhausted but one of my friends here called and wanted to play mahjong. I really didn't want to but I did anyway and won Siamese Mahjong once and we had a draw the second game and we both lost the third.

      Delete
  6. Christmas Chaos is part of the deal when it's a family get-together. I bet the food was plentiful and wonderful. I don't think I'd have been okay with the ride there, but I'm not very adventurous like that. It sounds like you had a pretty good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ride was the best part once I got over my worry-wart mindset. The food was good and plentiful and was surprised when my nephew asked me for the recipe to the salad/desert I brought.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an exhilarating and noisy Christmas but in the best ways only! Never had smoked cream cheese but regular cream cheese with smoked salmon is delicious so I’ll take your word for it that this was too. When I read your post, it made me remember chaotic Christmases with family and young children in my past and how exhausting they were. I usually spent Boxing Day in a dark room bedridden with a crippling migraine as a result, unfortunately. Glad your Christmas was so memorable, Jean…and that you had a chance to recover from it and write it all down too!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was all that and more. Except I kept an eye out when ever one of the kids would go to the rat cage (also in the great-room) to carry one of them around. Thankfully, none of them were let loose on the floor.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like all in all you had a good Christmas, if a bit overwhelming. Your description of the four wheeling excursion gave me flashbacks to some off roading I did when my ex bought a Jeep Cherokee in the 1980s. Some very fun memories, along with some kinda how-did-we-make-it-out-of-there memories!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the same kind of four wheeling flashbacks I had of my husband.

      Delete
  9. You had me at snowmobiles. Oh gosh, I have so many great memories of snowmobiling in Minnesota. The only reason my dad relented and got one, was so he could check on the livestock out in the pastures. My brother and I would ride that Polaris like we had not a care in the world. Never thought of decapitation due to hitting the barbed wire fences. We even went out at night, just for the heck of it. My brother was a daredevil and I knew my only chance of survival was to hold on tightly to him. Isn't it funny how much time can change us? I don't enjoy taking chances too often any more.

    Jean, I just had to laugh when you talked about your Christmas get together. I totally understand the chaos created by mixing multiple generations, lots of new toys, and lots of sugar underneath one roof. Lord have mercy. We were in the same situation. I kept thinking, "Did I take my blood pressure pill this morning?" (I did or else I probably wouldn't be here, typing this comment). But at the end of the day, hubby and I sat in our quiet little cottage and smiled as we thought about how much family means to us. We also agreed having Christmas once a year is our limit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved snowmobiling and I agree we didn't much think of the risks. for us it was going across lakes many times/years until we heard about people breaking through the ice and going in. Barbed wire wasn't an issue for us because we have lots of state owned trails to run and we mostly stayed where we belonged on them. My brother on foot ran into a barbed wire fence at his neck and had to have stitches ear to ear. I can't imagine what that fencing would do going at a high rate of speed.

      Delete
  10. I like how that crazy ride brought back happy memories of your husband for you. Sounds like a wild Christmas. Ours wasn't quite as crazy but we had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds lovely. Yes, a little harrowing en route, but lovely all the same. We were on those roads on Christmas Eve day and they weren't fun. I love the Lizzard warning sign! Onward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Lizzard warning must have given a lot of people on those roads a big laugh. It sure did me. Then the next day there was a news article out of Florida that iguanas were freezing and falling out of trees and I wondered it they posted warnings about them. LoL

      Delete
  12. Yikes! That sounds chaotic indeed. That description makes me glad my kids are grown. LOL. We loved snowmobiles when young, but I recall them being hard on my back. Can’t imagine how they would feel now, although they’ve probably improved since my 16 year old self was out with my first boyfriend. Haha! You must have been glad to get home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FYI last comment was Hope Springs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really glad to get home. Seven hours is a long time for me to be out and about and social. LoL

      My mom broke her back riding in a snowmobile sled when she was your age. I would never get on one today. I doubt they've improved them with enough padding to take the landscapes their drivers love to go on.

      Delete
  14. Merry Christmas for sure! Chaos and kindness and good food. Now that's a Christmas to remember. I'm exhausted for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very kind gesture but I don't want to do it again. Too hard on the nerves worrying about my brother falling or getting too confused and disoriented. But he handled until he finally asked someone to take him home.

      Delete
  15. I was feeling concerned for you until I got to the part about the flying fairies being shot at the dog. Then all I could do was laugh. Now you can say that 1) you survived the Christmas of 2022 in all its glories, and 2) you are cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  16. such a beautiful Christmas you had with lovely family, that's how I always envision holidays should be spent surrounded by family, friends & all the chaos, teasing games, love your driving in the blizzard with your nephew which brought back lovely memories of Don, get to see another side of Don through your blog
    Asha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Don has been on my mind a lot lately. Probably time to write another 'memory post' about the past.

      Delete
  17. LOL. Thanks for the photo of the "Lizzard Warning" sign!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like a fabulous day - lizzards, 4 wheeling through tracks, wrapping papers, kids and furbabies (even if one isn't really) and having some family fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the kids put the rats back in their cage whenever they'd get them out. I was afraid they'd set on the floor and they'd be lost all day and end up crawling on me.

      Delete
  19. The first thing I thought of when I read 'lizzard' was the falling iguanas in Florida. I have a friend who has had to go out and clean the darned things off her lanai a time or a dozen. Apparently it is important to watch where you walk when they're falling, because they can drop out of a tree and nail a pedestrian!

    I remember Christmases like the one you described here. Some were wonderful; some were uncontrolled chaos. There were a few that left me glad to escape to my glass of wine and quiet Christmas music at the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing when I first heard about the 'lizzard warning' sign. I hope those iguanas don't all die. I guess you wouldn't want to walk under trees down in Florida during a freeze.

      Delete
  20. WOW! I'd be absolutely overwhelmed and exhausted. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.