Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Suicides and Other Losses During the Holidays


I don’t often dream about my parents but just about every dead person I knew came to visit me last night including an old neighbor who had a wickedly high IQ but wasn’t smart enough to get himself some help for his suicidal thoughts. He successfully implemented his well-planned death 2-3 days before Christmas, on the third anniversary of his first wife’s death. They had three kids under twelve and no one would have guessed that he was in that kind of emotional quicksand. Tom was a likeable person with a great sense of humor and he enjoyed a good debate as much as my husband did. They were equally matched and it was fun listening to them. They were both well read and could talk about any topic and neither one got so invested in his side of the debate that it suppressed their sense of humors or their love of matching wits.

I heard at his funeral that Tom had written long letters to each of his three kids, trying to give them all the wise-old father talks that would have come in their futures had he not killed himself. If not for those letters, I would have wondered if the woman he’d married just a month before had murdered him. My husband and I wondered a lot of things about this tragedy in the years that came after. How did his second wife---a first time bride---cope with planning a funeral close on the heels of having what appeared to everyone to be a joyful church wedding and reception? How did the grandparents, who Tom had named as the guardians to his kids, cope with having to make room in their house and hearts to raise another generation of kids? How could those three kids ever have a happy Christmas again, losing a mother to a lingering illness and a father who killed himself while presents sat under a tree one room over? We were just neighbors and not a Christmas has gone by when I don’t think of that family. It took several years for us to let go of the anger over what Tom did to those kids, picking that day of all days to take his own life. I finally made peace with it by deciding he picked that day so his kids would only have one "died date" on their calendars instead of two. Twisted logic but it works for me.

Tom’s suicide hit my husband especially hard because it was not all that many years before when Don was seeing a psychiatrist for depression and at one point I was so worried about him that I snuck the bullets for his handgun out of his house. And while the only time I had suicidal thoughts was when I was 15-16, I'd seen Don's struggle to put a on front to the world around him. Me and my suicidal thoughts? I took all the aspirins left in the bottle then went to school. Needless to say, I didn’t have the dramatic, attention grabbing death of falling down the staircase in between classes that I’d hoped for but I’m thankful that we didn’t have the internet back in those days where I could have found a more effective way to get the job done. Sometimes when I hear about a teen taking his or her life I’m brought back to that day knowing that many of those teens had far more serious issues than I had---child abuse, school bullying, gender confusion and other things that weren't on my plate---but others had minor issues that time alone could have resolved, like me being a teenager with a menopausal mother and both of us going full-blown hormonal at the same time.

As the saying goes, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. But guess what. I just finished reading an article by Hollis Easter titled, Why You Shouldn’t say “Suicide is a Permanent Solution to a Temporary Problem”. His basic premise was that people who are contemplating killing themselves hear those words differently. While some might find them to be a reason to hold on a little longer, others might say “Yes, that’s what I want! I want to end the pain I’m in.”

With everything we've going on in 2020 I fear our mental health workers and suicide prevention hotlines will be working extra hard over this holiday season. But according to the cdc.gov website, “The idea that suicides occur more frequently during the holiday season is a long perpetuated myth…The CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics reports that the suicide rate is, in fact, the lowest in December.” The article goes on to blame the media for the myth by printing so many articles about holiday suicides and according to the CDC, “…that might ultimately hamper prevention efforts.”

I suppose me writing this post is adding to that myth. In my defense, my dad died five minutes into Christmas Day, my mom on Easter and whether someone dies from natural causes or at their own hand or in a mass shooting like what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School, December 14, 2012, experiencing holiday cheer after a loss is forever tainted with sadness.. People who’ve experienced holiday losses due to suicide write about it because we didn’t just lose a loved one, we also lost faith in ourselves to read other people, to know when they are at a tipping point of mental despair. In other cases involving a death by natural causes around a holiday---like my mom and dad's and now my cousin who last night died of Covid-19---holidays going forward have a bitter-sweetness to them that can’t be ignored because the rest of the world is doing a joy-filled, drum roll leading up to those holidays and to those 'died dates' on the calendar. And the survivors of those lost loved ones to violent acts? They must be haunted at the holidays by what might have been… The bottom line: if you know someone who lost a loved one over the holidays---no matter how---don't let it be an elephant in the room. Don't be afraid to mention it because you can be damn sure survivors don't forget. ©

44 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your cousin, Jean. My condolences to you.

    Hugs,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her hospitalization and death, I think, are what brought on my dream.

      Delete
  2. I salute you for this post and its honesty. I'd never have associated thoughts of suicide with either Don, or yourself.

    I'm so grateful my teenage, and menopausal years are behind me, and I don't really recollect them.

    I cannot comprehend that man's suicide decision and like you, can only leave it at the "only one death date" theory.

    A thought provoking post. From what I've seen and read of suicides, it seems no one knows what's going on in another person's mind.

    PS Happy Xmas and NY. Next year, you'll be surrounded by new friends. So, this year, enjoy your me-time and freedom from company!! ~ Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all these years I still wish I knew what drove Tom to do what he did and when he did it. And why he got remarried if he was still mourning his first wife. Some people are good about hiding negative feelings.

      Libby, Happy holidays to you, too. I hope 2021 is better for all of us.

      Delete
  3. I am very sorry to hear of your cousin’s death from Covid-19. Hugs all around for that loss and all the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back years ago she and her husband had a cottage on the same lake as my folks cottage so our families were closer back then than in recent years. But still we had a history that included her son-in-law plowing snow for my husband's business. The family owned an iconic restaurant in town that made the newspaper many times for having been voted as having the best hamburger in town. She left behind a lot of grieving grand children.

      Delete
  4. You are so right. It is very hard to lose a loved one at anytime but especially on or near a holiday. I'm so sorry to hear of your cousin's passing away from Covid-19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've talked to many people in town who knew someone who died from the virus but she's the first person I've known personally. It's no longer an abstract concept for me although I do know a few people who've had it and lived to tell about it.

      Delete
  5. I think holidays are difficult for a great many people, and not just because of deaths. Holidays are so fraught with tradition and expectation and the assumption of joyfulness. That's a ton of pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, isn't it. Not everyone grew up having the storybook Christmas's in their youth. And not everyone can afford to do the expected traditions or give them to their kids.

      Delete
  6. Your last sentence really hit home for me. I would normally have been afraid to bring up a holiday death with a friend but you are right. I also lost two parents on Thanksgiving though years apart. I don't want to avoid that but want to remember. I will try to no longer tread lightly around a friend who has also lost someone during a holiday. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom and dad died many years ago but I still appreciate an acknowledgment of their passing and/or a memory shared of something good about them. It's the opportunity to talk about a loved one that counts, if they want to take it.

      Delete
  7. Depression is a terrible thing. Said as a parent of a kid who struggles in this area. And presenting a different face to the world happens often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depression is such a complicated issues, isn't it. Body chemistry can enter into the equation as well as a person's ability to cope...skills that can be learned or are missing in a person's personality. Not to mention that some people have some pretty big life challenges to face.

      Delete
  8. Jean I am so sorry for your loss. (your cousin and well all of them actually)
    20 years ago I fell into a dark hole. The only thing that kept me going was that I couldn't do this to my husband. But the thoughts were there and were dark. I am not a person who is normally depressed and in fact most tell me I am annoyingly happy. So this was so new to me. We found out it was a symptom of thyroid malfunction. I got medication and within weeks it slowly began to life. I never want to forget it though because I do believe that is such an understood disease. I put on my Peggy face to the world and then retreated. It was scary and when I heard recently a friend say, "they need to just snap out of it" as if this was their choice I can have the empathy because I have been there. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I don't get the stigma. If your kidneys are not functioning properly no one shames you. So if your brain isn't functioning properly why should you be shamed? It's just another organ in your body that needs help. Thanks for the share and post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depression that stems from organic changes in body chemistry can be the scariest of all because you can often look around your life and find no reason to explain your depression. And that's when people use the just "snap out of it" line the most, like they have a choice. Well, they do have a choice in that the can go to a doctor, get tested to rule in or out organic causes. But that's not what people mean with they show no empathy.

      I'm not sure if depression is stigmatized so as much as people just don't want to talk about theirs because so many other people don't want to hear about it anymore than they'd want to hear about another person's daily struggles with getting treated for cancer or kidney failure. Hearing about those things reminds us all that we could be next and that's scary. Case in point: When someone or their spouse gets a serious illness, causal friends drop by the wayside like flies. Why should it be any different with depression? I also think some depressed people don't want to talk about it because their pain is so great and they don't want to be talked out of taking their own lives.

      Thanks for sharing your story, too, Peg.

      Delete
  9. So sorry for the loss of your cousin! Covid is devastating so many families. And the holidays make it harder.

    My mom lost her first baby in early December. In an effort to be kind, the nursing nuns moved her out of the maternity ward, but it turned out they moved her near the chapel where the nuns practiced Christmas music daily. So Christmas music has always made her sad. I was the next baby and was born while my dad was in Korea. You can only imagine her anxiety level. As far back as I can remember, she has been sad around Christmas, some years more and some years less, although she always "did Christmas" for all of us well. As she has aged (she's 88 now), more holiday events have added to her history...illness, more death, etc. For me, it's hard to think of Christmas without remembering her telling me the story of my brother and the nuns' Christmas practice pretty much annually.

    My dad comes from a family with a history of depression and I have at least one uncle who died by suicide, although no one acknowledged it for a long time. I have a fear of depression after watching how many people in my family exhibit signs, and I watch my own (grown) kids for it and talk openly about it to them, as well as their family history. Like your neighbor, most people don't see it coming and it's so hard for the survivors to get past it and move on. The holidays amp everyone up to think they should be HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY. This year is an additional burden given the Covid sadness that is all around us. Honestly, I'm not normally down but this year just feels like a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sad association with Christmas music for your family. Losing a baby is tragic but doing so at Christmas is particularly a cruel twist of fate.

      I seem to be ignoring all holiday traditions, was surprised to get a card in the mail yesterday and it dawned on me that I haven't watched a single Hallmark Christmas movie when in the past I overdosed on them. I sorted some Christmas boxes before Thanksgiving to donate to Goodwill and packed a small box to move but forgot all about putting them up this year. Hard to be in the spirit when all parties that I'd normally go to are off the calendar this year. It's ashame for you to be down when it's your first year in your new house.

      Delete
    2. I am actually doing OK...didn't mean to sound too depressed. It's just that nothing is normal this year and a couple of our family elderlies are struggling right now. So it feels like a lot. But honestly, I have a lot to be grateful for.

      Delete
    3. By next year's holidays all this will be a bad dream. I think most of us are holding up great, giving the covid-19 challenges.

      Delete
  10. I have never been affected by suicide my sister had a good friend died of suicide it is terrible and hurts so many

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is so sad to lose someone you KNOW to Covid. My condolences.

    My stepson did the aspirin attempt also and I knew that he and his Dad needed to have therapy. I came to one for a family session ... part of his depression was that he liked me and felt like that was betraying his mom. So far, I have not had a suicide by anyone close to me.

    My MIL died on Christmas Day. We always hang an ornament of hers on our tree.

    I can't believe we've been isolated for 10 months because of Covid. I'm even resorting to phone calls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to believe it's been nearly a year we've all been dealing with Covid-19 restrictions. I wasn't especially close with my cousin who died but I am/was close to relatives we have in common and they are all in pain right now, a very close-net family.

      I think your stepson's quilt is common in that situation. Glad the aspirin didn't work for him either.

      Delete
  12. You have my condolences on the passing of your cousin. Covid is becoming way too real to many of us, lately. Our son-in-law lost his sweet grandma last week to Covid and complications. When those statistics start hitting close to home, it changes your perspective. Recently I read that 25% of adults in our country struggled with anxiety and depression before Covid-19. I wonder what the percentage is now?? I appreciate your advice at the end of your post. Most of us are broken in one way or another. Sharing life really does help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get real when you see people you know and love struggle with the loss of someone. Like I said above I wasn't close to my cousin but I was/am close to relatives we have in common.

      I'm surprised that 25% isn't higher of adults who struggle with anxiety and depression due to Covid-19. Even those of us who are retired have loved ones who've been out of work because of the virus or who work in health care. Too much to worry about!

      Delete
  13. Well written. So sorry to hear of your Cousin. Suicide is very misunderstood, even to those who imagine they'd never attempt it, and then find themselves at the point of despair where it seems like the only way out. I was one to think I could never... until I did... about a Year after The Man's catastrophic accident, while The Force were still little and dependent upon me... during the Holidays. At the time, the timing wasn't even considered... a week in Psyche Lockdown after it took 7 Police Officers and Paramedics to wrestle me onto a stretcher since instead of dying, the bottle full of The Man's Sleeping Pills just made me agitated and wheels off the rails... I realized I'd had what they called Caregiver Burnout. Nothing changed after that Week Hospitalized, in fact the situation that drove me to attempted Suicide got even worse, but I Coped better, having realized I had a 2nd Chance to Deal with shitty circumstances better and you're not Dead 'til God says so. Everyone I knew was shocked and absolutely stunned, since they never saw it coming... even tho' they knew all I'd been going thru... and then some, for Decades before actually... hard knocks life can drag on a long time for some, so many problems aren't temporary and have no real End. I did find who bailed when things were really at their worst... nothing sorts people out quite like trouble as my Dear Sage Old Dad always said. I think more people contemplate Suicide than we might Imagine. It's one of those things you can never say you'd never do... because you really don't know what your Breaking Point might be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story. Caregiver burnout is a real thing and dealing with a person with a traumatic brain injury is so much harder than dealing with someone with a different kind of illnesses. I'm glad you weren't successful, knowing what that would have done to your sweet grand-daughter and your husband. You are their warrior.

      You said a mouth full when you said no one knows where their breaking point might be. I remember reading a book one time about how during WWII some prisoners in concentration camps would throw themselves against electric fences to kill themselves. Where there is a way disperse people will find it even with no resources available to them.

      Delete
  14. Your cousin's death is a harsh reminder of what is going on all over the country. I don't personally know anyone who has had Covid, but the stress level of anyone who takes this seriously and is weary of trying to keep others at a distance is intense.
    I've lost an uncle and father to suicide, but it was clear why they ended their lives, so there's no wondering and wishing it could have been different. Hard to understand how anyone could choose to end their own life with a new wife and young children but for some, asking for help must be worse than death. Why do we do that to our boys and men?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there was a single person who knew or came to understand why Tom did what he did. He seemed so happy at his second wedding, the kids were even a part of it.

      You make a good point that it's harder for boys and men to ask for help. I hope that is changing, but with the generations we grew up in and what came before us, it's the way things are.

      Delete
  15. Mental illness, drug addiction and emotional pain not withstanding,suicide is a horribly self-involved act, and it does so much damage to those left behind. I know someone whose son committed suicide on Mother's Day. How do parents go forward after that? They did, but my goodness. Nothing is ever the same again.
    Great post. I'm so sorry about your cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much that could be said about a child committing suicide on Mother's Day. Oh, my God, the added pain of picking that date either on purpose or by accident is hard to absorb. Maybe it's like Dawn (above) implied that at the time someone is suicidal the timing isn't even considered.

      My cousin had a large, loving family and because of Covid-19 they aren't going to be having a funeral. I'm only guessing they will have a memorial service next summer because that's what I would do if I was them.

      Delete
  16. A thought-filled post, Jean.
    Sorry for the loss of your cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was surprisingly easy to write. I woke up from the dream and went to my computer and it all spilled out....then spent two days on and off editing as I always do before I can publish.

      Delete
  17. Jean, I am so deeply sorry to hear of the loss of your cousin. You are right -- a holiday season death brings a different element to any holiday. When I volunteered at a grief center, holidays were the absolute worst for the kids in the groups. And especially if the death was near that time. Your words are wise ones. And very sad. Sending cyber hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, with all the health issues you've been dealing with lately, I should be the one sending cyber hugs to you. But I suspect like everyone else living through the pandemic we both miss in person hugs. A lot!

      Delete
  18. High holiday suicide rates may be a myth but strike up a conversation with just about anyone during the holiday season and you will discover a level of sadness and despair that you will find remarkable. Joy and happiness are far more elusive to many than our exuberant celebrations would indicate. I worked in public service for many years and the "holiday confessions" as I called them were heartbreaking and depressing. Year after year people would just spontaneously share their troubles with me (I guess I have a comforting face?) The depth of the sadness of the season was astounding to me, but as I've aged, I've discovered it's much more common than I ever imagined. I would expect that this year may be the worst, but on the other hand, perhaps we've all learned valuable lessons this year about what we had, now that much of it--both tangible and intangible, has been lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't doubt you at all, and I truly believe that people are learning valuable lessons about family, themselves and what they can and can't do without.

      I'm often amazed at how creative people have gotten with helping others, too. I saw a story on TV this week about a guy who was building desks for kids for their online schooling and giving away plans for others to do the same in their communities.

      Delete
  19. Thank you for this post. So sorry about your cousin. I have a terrible time celebrating Christmas since 2006 when my mom died 12/13/2006. My daughter tried to commit suicide 12/12/2003; thankfully she survived. My FIL died 12/16/2011. Our beloved corgi died 12/23/2014. December is a month of losses or sadness for me. I'm always glad when it is over.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, you really do have a lot of "red letter dates" in your Decembers. I'm so sorry you connect with this post in a very personal way, but I also hope it helps by letting you know you're not the only one who feels sad through the holidays.

      Delete
  20. As usual I'm behind on my blog reading. The story of your neighbor is so incredibly sad. We can really never know what is going on inside another, can we? I have struggled with depression throughout my life. I have had thoughts of 'ending the pain' but I always find a way to keep going with some small glimmer of hope. Knock on wood, I have not had an "out of the blue" depressive episode for a few years. And, yes, I would put on a happy face and fake a normal life, but inside I felt dead and no one would ever know. December is a hard month of forced cheer for many. We need to remind ourselves that the Hallmark version of "reality" is not available to many, or even most. Every day, no matter the season, is precious, challenging, joyful, sorrowful. Life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I appreciate this post. Suicide has touched someone I love, and I went to see two pastors/counselors about it and got immense help from talking to them. They reminded me that depression can be like other deadly diseases, since it often is linked to problems in the brain. Your neighbor's story is so tragic and inexplicable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your loss. I heard that my neighbor's autopsy showed a total lack of a certain chemical that would have made a difference in his ability to cope. Still sucks to know that because that means if he hadn't been such a good actor at covering up his feelings, they might have discovered the chemical imbalance when something could have been done about it. There is always so many what ifs with suicide. I"m glad counseling helped you.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.