Welcome to the Misadventures of Widowhood blog!

Welcome to my World---Woman, widow, senior citizen seeking to live out my days with a sense of whimsy as I search for inner peace and friendships. Jeez, that sounds like a profile on a dating app and I have zero interest in them, having lost my soul mate of 42 years. Life was good until it wasn't when my husband had a massive stroke and I spent the next 12 1/2 years as his caregiver. This blog has documented the pain and heartache of loss, my dark humor, my sweetest memories and, yes, even my pity parties and finally, moving past it all. And now I’m ready for a new start, in a new location---a continuum care campus in West Michigan, U.S.A. Some people say I have a quirky sense of humor that shows up from time to time in this blog. Others say I make some keen observations about life and growing older. Stick around, read a while. I'm sure we'll have things in common. Your comments are welcome and encouraged. Jean

Saturday, December 5, 2020

The Butcher Block and Eclectic Houses

 After my successful dollhouse sale I wanted to see if I could do another Facebook Market Place listing with the same results. I’ve had a butcher block sitting in my garage since shortly after we moved in nearly two decades ago and it needed to find a new home. Finally. With a husband running around in a wheelchair, the butcher block just didn’t work sitting in the middle of our kitchen and neither one of was willing to give it up. It was built by a neighbor of my dad and mom's back in the 1970s and it’s never, ever been used the way butcher blocks are supposed to be used.

Back in those days---before we were married---my husband had a Cracker Jack box for house. It was 700 square feet if you counted the unheated porch and half that porch was taken up by an antique safe that came out of old bank from the turn of the century and I don’t mean at the last couple of turnings. It was armpit tall and wide enough so that the door frame had to be removed to get the safe in and back out of the house again when it was sold. On the other end of the porch was massive, glass front china cabinet that belonged to Don’s mother. The living room walls were covered with porcelain gas station signs, the short hallway to the bedroom had shelves up high that displayed antique oil cans and bottles. The bathroom had the only rectangle shaped toilet I’ve ever seen in my life. The bedroom off the living room had been turned into an office with a massive roll top desk that literally took up a third of the floor space, two oak filing cabinets that matches the desk took up more floor space. When my husband moved into the house it had a pink kitchen stove which he trashed on his first day of ownership. He didn’t cook so that open space stayed open for several years…until Don fell in love with The Butcher Block. A few years later it became a stand for a microwave. Yes, there was no mistaking that house for anything but a bachelor pad. I often said that the only reason Don knew there was a kitchen in the house was because he had to walk through it to get to the garage.

Fast forward to the current house I live in, and that butch block sat in the garage being used for a---drum roll, please---stand for my paper cutter. I’m in love with my giant paper cutter but that’s a story for another day, but let me tell you that I’m going to cry when I have to let go of that.

I cleaned the butcher block up using instructions I found online that included using vinegar and salt and food grade mineral oil, I took some pictures and listed it on Market Place. Within a half hour a woman contacted me and said she’d take it for my asking price of $235 and she’d pick it up within an hour. I made sure she understood I wanted cash, no check, and that she’d have to bring someone with her to help load it in her vehicle because I couldn’t.

Turned out she, her husband and I went to the same high school gleaned from the fact that we had a mutual Facebook friend. Her grandfather had a butcher block just like the one I sold. She’d wanted one forever but when his estate was divided her brother got the grandfather’s butcher block. She came into the garage and handed me the money without even getting close to the block and I said, “You’d better look it over first to make sure you want it. It’s got a few flaws.” The flaws were listed in the posting but still I didn’t want her to get it home and regretting not looking over the split leg and scratch on the side. “Oh, I’m taking it,” she said with conviction, “I’ve been looking for one just like this for thirty years!” I probably had it priced too low because I had five other offers afterward, before I could mark it sold. But I’d checked out all the other butcher blocks listed and noted how long they'd been on Market Place and I took that as a clue they were overpriced. Better $235 in hand than a hope a hundred or two more that may or may not ever come.

Downsizing stuff you’ve loved for many years can be a rush when they connect up with the right people like this butcher block did and my childhood dollhouse did last week. But my favorite downsizing sale is still an e-Bay sale of a pair of twin Pendleton Wool bedspreads. The woman who paid $350 for them said she cried when she won the auction. She had owned a set just like mine and lost them in one of the forest fires out west. Lost everything she owned. I got such a nice letter from her after she got them in the mail and that letter made me cry happy tears. The bedspreads were bought with a $1,000 prize I won in a writing contest so besides them being perfect for our western themed house, they had an extra reason for me to be sentimentally attached. I only hope when I’m finally able to sell my house I end up with another great downsizing story to tell about the new owners ©

37 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you found buyers who treasure your items. That means so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful that it found the right new owner. Things that are special do that I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We saw the butcher block at various stages of its building and really like the guy who made it which added to its charm for us. The woman who bought it saw it as a memory of her grandfather's house. Most thing you don't care who buys them but others it feels more like an adoption.

      Delete
  3. While it has to be hard parting with your collectibles, it has to be so rewarding when you know the person getting them will appreciate them as much as you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sentimentally attached this butcher's block like I was with many other things. But it had a history worthy of being blog fodder. Telling its history was telling my husband and my history at the same time. During a pandemic, I'll take my writing prompts where ever I can get them.

      Delete
  4. That is just nice that you've found people who will love your "near and dear" to you items as much as you loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, congratulations. This is a satisfying story of rehoming for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUE and NANCE: And it was so easy to do on Market Place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That butcher block looked like a very heavy, solid piece so your buyer will be able to enjoy it for a long, long time. Your husband's "bachelor pad" sure sounds like it was an unusual place! How did you ever combine homes after you were married? Did you live in a home big enough for his treasures and yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two giant auctions---one that last almost all day. IN addition the house Don had a huge pole barn full of guy stuff, equipment and tools. The other auction was 1/3 mine stuff and 2/3 someone else's and it took all day. The house we combined into is 1,600 square with a 3 stall garage. The only furniture from his house we kept was the roll top desk and filling cabinets. His place was a a laugh a minute. Inside his kitchen cabinets he must have had 100 coffee cups and it was a big production fro him to pick out the right one to fit his mood. That was a HARD downsize. LOL

      Delete
  8. My daughter and I used to sell things that she'd found at estate sales, the thrift store, etc., on eBay. A friend of hers let her go through her grandmother's house which had been sold and was about to be moved to another location. There were some things of her grandmother's still there in a few closets but no one in the family wanted to bother with them. The electricity had been turned off, so she was working in the fading light of the day. In the back of an upper shelf in the linen closet was an old shirt box that had items that belonged to the grandmother's brother when he was a soldier in WWI. There was a diary of his journey from Texas to the battlefields in France, an army cap with insignia from his unit, and several other pieces, including a handkerchief from Paris. (Ooh, la la!) Long story somewhat shorter, after we listed these items we heard from a man in Texas whose mission in life is collecting items like these related to that army unit and displaying them during talks he gives at schools, to the Boy Scouts, and other youth groups. He wants young people to know that the guys who went off to war were not much older than they are now. Just boys, really. Anyway, we were touched and gave him the whole lot for free. It made us feel good that it all went to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story! To have a treasure trove like that fall into the hands of someone with such an admirable passion project is a win-win for everyone around. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  9. I love that phrase "adoption" not sale! Geez you do/did have a LOT of stuff! So many memories while downsizing. Glad you have photos of lots of your things. You can make a coffee table book! 50% off this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I'm documenting my downsizing stories here. I might have those blogs made into a book (for my eyes only, no coffee table book). My next two posts are more stories from the downsizing war.

      Delete
  10. What a great story--and outcome for the butcher block! I guess there's a time to acquire and a time to let go. Life sure is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isn't it. Even the ordinary life like mine when condensed down to a story takes on a life of its own.

      Delete
  11. I can see why they paid what they did -- it's a great table and your fixup was perfect. I know what you mean about downsizing to the right person. It's really tough seeing things you loved go but you feel better knowing it's going to someone who will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sold it at a good price to them but I my reasoning was if it ended up in an auction it could go higher but I'd get less cash by he time the auctioneer services took their cut.

      Delete
  12. When you Sell your Home you'll have another nice downsizing Story I'm sure. Serendipity is always surreal isn't it, how Small the World really is when we bump into people in strange encounters like the one with the Butcherblock Sale, glad it went to an appreciative Home. Wow, she had waited 30 Years for it, that's a Touching Story then! I think the Universe eventually connects us with our Heart's Desires in due time. Auctions can be misleading so I always research price point on only Sold items... or ones actively being bid on furiously in Bidding Wars over the item. Then I discount that price some before putting it into my Space at the Antique Mall since I won't reach as broad an Audience as Online Selling. You have done very well in getting reasonable quick sales on your Investments, even during this Pandemic, which has to be a relief to get your Price and not have the items languish long either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, you have to research sold prices, not asking prices to set a value. Marie Kondo has done more to hurt sales of the kinds of thing you and I like more than the pandemic has. I don't see that changing in my lifetime. There are exceptions, of course. I saw tons of bidding wars over my husband's lighters last year but those were mostly going overseas while collector interest here as dropped off. I did well with vintage clothing, too, but took a royal bath on postage stamps which at one time was a good has having cash. My carnival glass dishes which at one time were hot items to collect and now I'll be hard pressed to even give it away.

      I have a friend who still has a booth in a mall plus the tales about your booth sales still has the power to make me wistful of the days when I had a couple of booths to manage. This time of the year one of the huge malls we were in had a gala event with lots of food and discounts for shoppers and dealers were encouraged to be in our booths to meet buyers. The same mall would have a summer pig roast/picnic too. I miss the culture of being around collectors who understand the thrill of the hunt and the thrill of selling something to the hunters.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I have two more downsizing posts coming up next week. I've been on a roll again.

      Delete
    3. I can hardly wait then for your new downsizing update Posts, Love them, they Motivate me and Lord knows I need that! I enjoy the Culture of the Antique Mall even more than whatever income it gleans for me and the giving of an outlet to hawk my stuff to perhaps the right demographic to appreciate any of it. Our Mall used to do a lot of Events for the Vendors and the Customers, now not so much and thus it's not like it used to be and we all lament that fact. People leave and turnover is high when they never connect with the Culture... and Customers aren't enticed when it's boring and dull with no 'destination' purpose to draw them in. Those that still have Events and make it a Destination do far better than we are, but our Management is now the Younger Generation {Grandson of the Founder} and not terribly ambitious nor even interested in the business of Antiques/Collectibles, so he's more a glorified Landlord that does not show he Cares or even Gets it. If he wasn't a Nepotism hire I think he'd be hard pressed to keep a job frankly, you really do have to possess some level of knowledge and ambition to Succeed otherwise unless you're a Grifter Hire.

      Delete
  13. It's always nice to sell something to a person who can really appreciate it. Good for you! I've been selling random things DH is uncovering in our storage boxes and putting them up on eBay. What I'm trying to figure out is where he has been storing these for the 20 years we've been married. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Husband's have their ways, don't they. I can completely identify. LOL If you haven't discovered how easy it is to schedule package pickups it will make your e-Baying so easy.

      Delete
    2. Do you have them picked up by USPS? I have been just dropping them off at the PO among my other errands.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I schedule the pick up the night before and they have never let me down, pick them up at the front door. Before the pandemic I enjoyed stopping at the post office up it's safer this way.

      Delete
  14. Parting with these things collected over a lifetime has got to sting, but I think the happiness you bring to others looking to replace or recapture memories is balm to those wounds. I know it would make me cry happy tears too, Jean.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really doesn't sting at all when the right person buys something and/or I get a decent price out of something. I have a harder time giving things to Goodwill, knowing if I could have had gotten some money out of stuff. The bedspreads were the only things I cried about, I have photos that ending was perfect.

      Delete
  15. It looks awesome but too big for my little kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine, too, but it's really a standard size for things like that.

      Delete
  16. This sounds like a story of "giving" rather than selling. You made people very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH I love that the person who got it really wanted it and almost needed it. A good home makes you feel better about letting go. However you are correct $235 for that is a major steal. Rick is making a walnut butcher block for someone that is nothing like this of course and the price is about the same. So yes, you could have gotten a lot more, but not a better home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She knew she got a good deal and wasn't going to let it slip away but making me wait for her to come see/get it and chance someone else offering more. Which did happen. But I'm really happy the way it turned out.

      Walnut is not easy wood to work with but that block will be beautiful when Rick is finished with it.

      Delete
  18. I love when the things we let go of become another's treasure. I think you are building up some great Karma for your house to go to just the right person!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If you are using ANONYMOUS please identify yourself by your first name as you might not be the only one. Comments containing links from spammers will not be published. All comments are moderated which means I might not see yours right away to publish through for public viewing as I don't sit at my computer 24/7.